Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » How long till Humira works?

01-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
uab grad student

How long till Humira works?

Hi everyone,

Sorry, I'm new so I keep posting new questions as I think of them...

I started Humira last Monday (December 28) and wondering how long it will take until I can tell it is working/not working? I can't tell it is working yet, but thinking maybe it takes awhile?

Please let me know what your experience was so I can ascertain if it is not going to work for me or it just needs a little more time.

Thanks y'all!

December 2009--Diagnosed with Crohn's

Current Crohn's meds: entocort, remicade, 6-MP

Other stuff: pulmicort, pro-air, celexa

Current supplements: ferrous sulfate, folic acid, Vitamin B12, Calcium, Vitamin D, women's multi-vitamin, Florastor probiotic
01-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
I didn't take it for very long because I didn't see anything dramatic happening. I can't remember exactly how long I took it for...maybe 3-4 months? I needed surgery at that point so I can't really say it was the medicines fault I had no relief...I hope you see some improvement soon. It is so hard to get your hopes up for something to work, and have to wait. Good luck.
01-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
OliveBranch

For me, each time I started a new medicine ending in -mab, they probably took about 4 days to a week for me to start to notice a difference, though it takes longer for the full effect to happen. Part of this will depend on how sick you are to begin with. When I started Remicade I was in a very severe flare, so it took a couple of months for me to feel fully well again, though the healing process began long before that. When I switched to Cimzia several years later, and then Humira, the effects happened more quickly because I wasn't as sick before I started them.
I hope that helps, and that you feel well soon!
December 09: "surprise" colectomy and ileostomy

Last edited by OliveBranch; 01-04-2010 at 08:58 AM.
01-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #4
uab grad student

I think I may be in a severe flare, but I'm not sure... I was actually surprised they started me on Humira right away in combination with Entocort. I am still having a lot of bloody diarrhea, but much less than before (before treatment 10-15 times per day; now, about 5-7 times per day); unfortunately the pain and tenderness hasn't really gone away, so we'll see if it begins to clear up in the coming weeks as I've been on Humira a bit longer.

Thanks for the info!
02-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #5
uab grad student

Unfortunately it's still not working! :-( Keeping my fingers crossed that it will start working soon...
02-07-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
Jennjenn

I hope it starts to give you some relief soon. I was not on it for long. I went back to remicade.
02-09-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
uab grad student

Checked in with doc today and my GI said they may start me on Imuran since Humira still isn't working. Entocort works great but I guess they don't want me on it long term.
02-09-2010, 08:34 PM   #8
uab grad student

Just to clarify... I'll be on Imuran AND humira. I guess the combo may be more effective???

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Humira/Adalimumab » How long till Humira works?