Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Remicade - How do you feel immediately afterwards

01-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
krahsdnal

Remicade - How do you feel immediately afterwards

How do you feel after having the remicade treatments?

I have noticed that I am more fatigued than normal and would love to just nap the day away. Also seem to get the chills, anyone else?

-------------------
Diagnosed 1986
Have been on most of the medications, was on Remicade for the last 4 years on a maintenance dose of Pentasa now
Small Bowel resection Jan 2010

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1209403734
01-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
I am the opposite. I am fatigued a week before my treatment is due. I feel energized after my treatment....I say it's my 'go-go' juice. I don't take Benadryl beforehand because it zonks me out. Do you premedicate?
01-19-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
CrohnsHobo

I used to be a little run down, but more from the stress/annoyance of being jabbed with needles and having to sit in the hospital all day.

Health wise I felt fine, sometimes a little feverish.

Past Failed Treatments:
Prednisone
Remicade
Asacol/Lialda
6 MP
Cipro/Flagyl
Humira
Methotrexate
Cimzia
Azothiropine
Entyvio
Augmentin
Stelara
01-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
Cookie

I am the same as IMP, it feels like an energy boost to me. I actually used to look forward to my infusions. I also did not get the Benadryl.
01-19-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Fog Ducker

Shadycat said:
I am the same as IMP, it feels like an energy boost to me. I actually used to look forward to my infusions. I also did not get the Benadryl.
Me three

Dx UC: 2006. Dx CD: 2008
Current Meds: Remecade 800mg evry 6 weeks, Methatrexate 7.5mg once a week oraly, Asacol 800mg 3 times a day.
01-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
krahsdnal

I dont premedicate. CH is prolly right, maybe it is just because I am sitting in the infusion room for a couple of hours. I had my infusion today, it is also possible that since i am flaring now and not feeling 100% anyway
01-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
CrohnsHobo

krahsdnal said:
I dont premedicate. CH is prolly right, maybe it is just because I am sitting in the infusion room for a couple of hours. I had my infusion today, it is also possible that since i am flaring now and not feeling 100% anyway

Aye. Never got pre meds anyways. Think I just felt run down from flaring and then having to deal with the hassle of it all.
01-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
See, I enjoy it...It is relaxing for me. If I could just get a facial it would be like a day at the spa.
01-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
CrohnsHobo

Not for me. Go in there, sit around, get poked, watch TV, occasionally get my ear talked off by some annoying patient.
01-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Sorry, I won't talk to you anymore...Geez!
01-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #11
CrohnsHobo

lol. There was one patient in particular that happened to be on the same schedule as me and she drove me batty. Constantly trying to diagnoise me and offer me "Catholic treatments"
11-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #12
jkd1111

My Support Groups:
lol. There was one patient in particular that happened to be on the same schedule as me and she drove me batty. Constantly trying to diagnoise me and offer me "Catholic treatments"
Too funny! They just built a new cancer treatment center at the hospital I go to. Very beautiful, peaceful and serene!. However....where we sit to get the infusions is not as "private" as it used to be in the old center. My last infusion 2 weeks ago..I was in the middle of 2 family reunions! My god I thought they were going to have to start selling tickets for seating!!! And noisy?!?!?! Oh my goodness what a joke...I was trying to sleep from the benedryl...but a plus on this was they were making so much noise, no one could have heard me snoring!

11-26-2010, 03:52 AM   #13
breathnezee

My Support Groups:
I have had two infusions of remicade thus far, still in my induction period. I have been incredibly fatigued since my first infusion 3 weeks ago. Since my colon was pretty messed up when I started, I am hoping that it is just a matter of my colon healing, enabling me to absorb more nutrients and then I will see a turn around in my energy levels. Anyone else with this same dilemna?
11-30-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
Lydia

I feel a little tired, but since I switched from benedryl to claritin, I dont get drowsy anymore.
12-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #15
kslade

My Support Groups:
I feel tired, and weak right after my infusion. And the last time I went I had chest tightness. I am on Benadryl and Tylenol pre-meds, but even before the Benadryl pre-med I have always slept after my infusions.
Now off the prednisone

Failed Meds:
Salofalk - severe diarrhea
12-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
crazycanuck

Im on the tired side. No pre meds or anything but I have a feeling its because of sitting in that chair not moving for 3 hours. Other than that Im pretty well feeling normal.

Diagnosed October 2007
Currently on Remicade 400mg (October 2010)

Tried Budesonide (april 2010-july 2010) & Asacol (october 2007- dec 2009) & Imuran (Dec 2009-Dec 2011)
12-21-2010, 11:03 PM   #17
Starbelly

I've been on it since Oct 06. I take the Benedryl to knock me out so I don't have to be bored for three hours, I go home and sleep for a couple more and feel great. I read somewhere that immunosupressants can make the adrenal gland hypersensitive. I'm inclined to believe it because if I hit the gym within 48 hours after I get an incredible work out.
12-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #18
sven

My Support Groups:
How do you guys like remicade?? I'm on humira for the past 2 months and feel it doesn't work.
12-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #19
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Remicade has worked wonders for me....sven - you should check out the Remicade club thread...

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
01-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #20
Brian'sMom

My Support Groups:
When you guys talk of being feverish, is it right afterwards, or can is come a week after? My son had his second infusion 6 days ago. He's had a fever last night and today. He says he feels fine...but did throw up his dinner tonight...but he said he thinks he gagged on snot in his throat. I hope he isn't getting sick again...he started an antibiotic on monday (day before his infusion) for strep throat. This poor little guy can't catch a break!! He's been off azathioprine since Dec 8th, could this be the culprit that keeps letting him catch infections...or the Remicade? As you can see, I'm getting confused and don't know where to turn. Thanks for any help. Also, what is the reason for pentasa if you are on Remicade? Our GI says its because Pentasa has a cancer fighting quality. It seems to cause our son acid reflux (That feeling of snot in his throat). One doc said that was a side effect of Pentasa if its taken close to a meal. Has anyone heard that?

Praying for Remission
Vedolizumab 8-8-14
Ileostomy 3/22/14
Multivitamin,Iron,Vit D

Total EEN 12-10-13 to:TPN 1-29-14 - 4-2-14
Tried:Azathioprine,Pred,Pentasa,Cimzia Bi weekly & MTX 9/2013 to 8/2014, Humira 1/2011-9/2013, w/oral mtx 5 mos in 2013. Remicade: Had allergic reaction Jan 2011 Built up antibodies by 3rd infusion.
Has done round of Flagyl due to abcess 12/10 and 10-21-13 which helped both heal quickly.

Last edited by Brian'sMom; 01-02-2011 at 11:33 PM.
01-10-2011, 02:17 PM   #21
Lydia

When you guys talk of being feverish, is it right afterwards, or can is come a week after? My son had his second infusion 6 days ago. He's had a fever last night and today. He says he feels fine...but did throw up his dinner tonight...but he said he thinks he gagged on snot in his throat. I hope he isn't getting sick again...he started an antibiotic on monday (day before his infusion) for strep throat. This poor little guy can't catch a break!! He's been off azathioprine since Dec 8th, could this be the culprit that keeps letting him catch infections...or the Remicade? As you can see, I'm getting confused and don't know where to turn. Thanks for any help. Also, what is the reason for pentasa if you are on Remicade? Our GI says its because Pentasa has a cancer fighting quality. It seems to cause our son acid reflux (That feeling of snot in his throat). One doc said that was a side effect of Pentasa if its taken close to a meal. Has anyone heard that?
Most of the time they will not let you have an infusion if you are being treated with antibiotics. I have seen my clinic turn people away for being on antibiotics. Something about not letting people with active infections get it. I am surprised they let him.
01-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #22
Brian'sMom

My Support Groups:
Most of the time they will not let you have an infusion if you are being treated with antibiotics. I have seen my clinic turn people away for being on antibiotics. Something about not letting people with active infections get it. I am surprised they let him.
Is it because the Remicade can cause the infection to get worse, or last long? I was surprised too. I think they didn't want him to mess up his induction period since he wasn't doing well on azathioprine. His strep went away promptly...but the amox he was taking for it messed him up. He could only take it for 9 days. He ended up with what may have been a possible abcess at the bottom of his rectum.(Now we know that was why he had the low grade fever) He's on flaygl/cipro now...and feeling really good. Its helping all his symptoms...even his cramps. Maybe his Remicade is kicking in now
01-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #23
Lydia

Is it because the Remicade can cause the infection to get worse, or last long? I was surprised too. I think they didn't want him to mess up his induction period since he wasn't doing well on azathioprine. His strep went away promptly...but the amox he was taking for it messed him up. He could only take it for 9 days. He ended up with what may have been a possible abcess at the bottom of his rectum.(Now we know that was why he had the low grade fever) He's on flaygl/cipro now...and feeling really good. Its helping all his symptoms...even his cramps. Maybe his Remicade is kicking in now
Yep, it can cause an infection to go out of control.
05-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #24
Franko

When i first started i was tired for about 4 days.

Now i am down to about 2 days and then back to normal.

txs, Franko
05-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #25
Cmk

My Support Groups:
I start tomorrow morning for my first infusion.......can i bring books, headphones, ipad? Is it.like on the airplane where u can be on the intetnet??? I.know, sounds silly but i get bored real fast and am an always on the go type!! Do u guys and gals bring books and stuff or just sleep??
05-11-2011, 07:31 AM   #26
deedee

I usually get really tired for 2-ish days after my infusions. I just try to schedule it so I can take it easy for a few days.

Cmk - you should be able to bring all of those things! Definitely bring stuff to keep you entertained. As for whether they have internet - it depends on if your hospital has wifi, but if you have an ipad with 3G you should be able to use it normally. Good luck!
05-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #27
Cmk

My Support Groups:
Deedee thanks! I'm on my iPad right now getting my first infusion.....I have too much energy, hard to sit still!
05-11-2011, 10:35 AM   #28
itsMeFred

I start tomorrow morning for my first infusion.......can i bring books, headphones, ipad? Is it.like on the airplane where u can be on the intetnet??? I.know, sounds silly but i get bored real fast and am an always on the go type!! Do u guys and gals bring books and stuff or just sleep??
Even my little 12-bed hospital out here in the boonies has WiFi.
I'd be surprised to find there are many out there that don't...
05-12-2011, 08:23 PM   #29
Cmk

My Support Groups:
So is it weird that a day and a half after my first infusion I am already getting relief! I usually get up like 3 times a nite to go to the Jon, but not at all last nite and have been in their alot less today.....I'm super pumped but afraid it'll go away....I guess Ill take it a day at a time and just be grateful and thankful.....I too was a Lil tired, I think from the Benny, I did the head bob a bit while in the chair....but after I went to work then cut the grass, so I dunno.....I go for second one on the 25th so I guess we shall see!
And I was psyched to have wifi in there.....still bored tho.
06-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #30
Maxwheel

My Support Groups:
I get extremely tired after the infusion. This lasted a week for the first one but only about 3 days for the last one (with each day getting progressively less tired). I've been pretty tired just from being sick anyway though. Other than getting tired and spacey, I don't have any side effects. Getting my third one friday.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Remicade - How do you feel immediately afterwards