• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fish

We all know this is where it is at, but how do you make fish fun and exciting day after day? In my never ending quest to reduce the impact of this condition on my quality of life I have substituted beef and pork as my main meats source with chicken and fish. But I live inland in farm country surrounded by cows. I grew up eating cows. I am not all that fish savvy.

What are your fun fish recipes?

Poached Haddock with tartar sauce.

I just place some frozen haddock fillets in shallow, covered dish and cover the bottom with water. microwave for apx7 minutes, flipping fish after 5. The sauce is just 2Tbs of mayonnaise and a tbs of relish.

Poached Salmon with Dill Sauce

Place frozen salmon blocks in a shallow, covered dish and cover bottom with water. Microwave 5 minutes and turn Microwave another 5 minutes or until salmon flakes easily. Sauce: melt 2 tbs of butter and mix in 2 tbs of flour and a pinch of salt until smooth. Then stir in 1 cup of milk and 1 tsp-tbs of dried dill. Heat until thickened without burning.

Last edited:
I love seafood, anyway I can get it, but my girlfriend wont touch the stuff. So outside of dining out I don't eat it that often.

I personally love a grilled piece of fish. When I lived alone this is how I did it most of the time, either outdoors or indoors on a grill pan. Often with some cajun seasoning or just lemon and pepper.

I love eating fish. I have recently (about 3mos. ago) cut out any other meats out of my diet. I'm not that savvy in the cooking of my fish. Now my husband will cook salmon for me whenever I want that and he seasons it so good. Otherwise, I'm pretty basic and will throw a piece of flounder or talapia in the oven and just have it with tartar sauce. I probably have fish 4-5days a week.

I love to make different fish dishes. Salmon is always good and talapia is easy. i dont get the frozen kind though. Not sure how it is for you to get fresh fish but it usually tastes better!! I live in NY so its everywhere.
With salmon just put some lemon and light seasoning. Or buy a bottle of marinade. Same with Talapia put in the oven 350 or sometimes I use the George Forman grill. My mother for christmas got me a super delux one that I can even change into a skillet!
Another good one is Linguini and seafood mix......
Take shrimp, scallops, my mother likes when I add in squid but now i cannot eat those now (rubbery food and crohns do not mix well I tell her) so I will just get them for her if she comes over. Add in butter some extra virgin olive oil and garlic....(not the powder!) A little basil and mmmm it always comes out good! Sautee the whole mixture in a deep pan then boil up the pasta and when thats drained pour in the shrimp and scallop mixture.

I love fish, all i usually do is bake it in the oven after putting some lime or lemon juice and some club house fish spice. Then a little more lime/lemon juice on after cooking and mmmmm deliscious!

Samantha said:
Kingklip done in a hot pan with butter, lemon and capers is very good!!
I had to look that fish up. I never heard of it before. I am not so sure I am the Eel eating type of guy. It might be a cultural kinda thing :ycool:

Is there a lot of seafood in S.Africa? I always imagined it to be a place of wide open sky surrounded by a deep cold ocean stretching to infinity. Is there a typical number of nights a week people eat fish or does it not have that much cultural presence?

I think how I grew up we maybe ate fish once a month. And high-liner breaded stuff at that. We did eat a bit of freshwater fish in the summer that we caught ourselves but mostly frozen processed seafood. The freshwater fish is not really safe to eat anymore in much of Canada. Mercury and other heavy metal levels are way too high in many lakes to eat more than a pound or two here and there from sport fishing.

I really like trout. I just brush it with olive oil, sprinkle on some herbs and a bit of salt and broil it. It usually has the skin on it, but it flakes right off. It's taste and texture is somewhat similar to salmon, but not as strong.

Hey Kenny....I'm not much of a fish cooker myself! My husband loves fish -but I just have a hard time motivating myself to buy and cook it because I wasn't raised with it. I'm trying to get on a health kick here and have learned not to eat farm raised fish, but only wild fish with scales. I guess the farm raised have lots of nasty stuff and antibiotics in them (bad stuff - like what scavengers have I guess?). Anyway - just wanted to add that since you said you are inland and surrounded by cows. Mooo is a *hard* thing for me to give up too! Glad you started this thread - hopefully it will give me some motivation to try new fish dishes!

I'm not sure this is fun, but it is delicious:

2 (6-8 oz) salmon fillets
2 cloves of garlic
6 tbs of light olive oil
1 tsp dry basil
1 tsp ground sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley (optional)

1) Prepare marinade in a medium glass bowl by combining garlic, oil, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and parsley. Marinade salmon in bowl for 1 hr in the refrigerator, turning occasionally.
2) Preaheat overn to 375 F
3) Place fillets in aluminum foil (I use the precut foil sheets to make it easier), cover with marinade and seal. Place sealed fillets on a cookie sheet or baking dish and bake 35-45 min until easily flaked with fork.

If you can tolerate it, try this with broiled asparagus--I coat asparagus spears in olive oil, sprinkle some crushed sea salt and black pepper over them and broil for ~ 7 min.

:) Good thread! I'm going to try some new recipes this coming week.

Mmmm that salmon recipe look yummy.

Tonights fish dinner for me is Haddock with red peppers.

1 clove garlic smashed
1 sm onion sliced
1 red bell pepper sliced

fried in a skillet with some olive oil until the onion is opaque.

Add 2 filet's of Haddock to the skillet reduce heat to med
Flip after a few minutes and sprinkle with black pepper and onion salt
cook for about 3 minutes more and add a couple of TBS of lemon juice

This made a nice fast meal for one severed with a cup of parboil white rice. I handle bell peppers and onion well but I cook them until soft to make sure. I don't think this took much more than 15 mins to make from start to cleanup.

Last edited:
Mmm, all this talk of fish makes me want to go to Costco and buy some steelhead trout or salmon to cook up this weekend!

Kenny, have you ever tried making fish tacos? Wondering since the red peppers sound like a yummy addition. ;-)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Not a fish fan but I prefer Pickerel or Basa, very mild, and Halibut but that has to be fried which I cant eat. I know fish is so good for you, it is a brain food.

rygon

salmon marinated in soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce is lovely, Cod cheeks dripped in flour and cooked with butter and garlic.
smoked salmon cut up in thin strips and eaten raw

White fish (cod/haddock etc) baked in tin foil with bit of white wine vinegar, light soy sauce, thin strips of ginger and salad onion is a favourite of mine as well

Fish as a tasty snack!

I guess this one might vary with your personal definition of tasty but I am enjoying a can of Sardines, drained and drizzled with malt vinegar and salt!

I bet your glad smell-o-vision was never actually invented. They taste yummy all the same and are proabably a bit better for me than a bag of ruffles :D

Thanks for starting this Kenny! I am supposed to go on a "mushy foods diet" and my Dr said that it can include fish so this post is just what I needed.

I'm not much of a cook, but I did discover that adding smoked salmon to Trader Joe's mac-n-cheese is a pretty tasty alternative to tuna casserol for us lazy cooks. :)

rygon

theres always tuna pasta bake (topped with smashed up plain crisps and cheese)

and my fav fish pie (salmon prawns and white fish). Made some garlic mash to go on top once and that worked really well

It is hard to beat smoked fish. I have some in the fridge right now. You could build yourself a smoke house, and make your own.

Dan

Not sure if you might be sensitive to these spices, but I have recently discovered 5 spice powder that gives fish a nice Asian-inspired flavor. Also, not sure if you might have this, but Emeril's creole essence is also very good on fish. I rub fish wither either spice and throw it in my cast iron skillet and in the oven. Fish gets nice and moist and flaky! Yum!

Astra

we have finny haddock here, it's yellow and it stinks!
but it is gorgeous, baked in the oven with tomatoes, mushrooms and lots of butter yum yum

and king prawns with a sweet chilli sauce, wrapped in foil and baked

and cod in butter sauce, or parsley sauce

but cod is better from the chippy with mushy peas and chips!

love snapper, have to catch my own cause the supermarket stuff is rubbish.and expensive. prefer it deep fried in batter which isnt good for me.
when im flaring i cant eat batter. so have it grilled or pan fried. also love all shellfish. lucky new zealand is surrounded with water and is filled with great eating fish.

rygon

Whole Mackerel, gutted, filled with a few slices of lemon, salt and pepper, sliced garlic and thyme is lovely. Nice on a BBQ or baked in tin foil

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
It is hard to beat smoked fish. I have some in the fridge right now. You could build yourself a smoke house, and make your own.

Dan
My husband smoked some trout and salmon for me last summer - it was YUMMY!!!.....Can't wait for him to start up the smoker again - I have 2 salmon filets in the freezer just waiting!

Maple Salmon is my favourite. Marinade in a half soya, half maple syrup with a little ginger. It's to die for. I also have a tilapia recipe with mayo, butter and parmesan cheese that is quite good. Lately my husband (he does the cooking) has just been coating either pickerel or perch with flour and salt and pepper and then frying in a little olive oil. Amazing!!

grilled red snapper def is the best!! I have just started making fish in the past 2 weeks. I have found it's super easy and delicious! I am a big fan of mccormick marinades........they are in the spice aisle and it is a package of dry seasoning and you usually add oil and water and marinade away.....I tried one called a luau marinade and have used it on both red snapper and tilapia....delicious! I made both on the grill.....Just about 4-5 mins a side and dinner is served.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
I like Basa, which is a Vietnamese catfish. I buy it frozen. It's a nice, mild tasting white fish.

This recipe is awesome.

Basa Fillets in Tomatillo Sauce

1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
2 1/2 cups water
3 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules

1 pound fresh tomatillos, husks removed
3 jalapeno peppers, cut into large pieces
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon salt, or to taste

1 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 pounds basa (Vietnamese catfish) fillets
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Directions
1.Combine the rice, water and bouillon in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender and water has been absorbed. Set aside.
2.Meanwhile, in a large pot, bring about 2 inches of water to a boil. Add jalapenos, and cook for 5 minutes, then add the tomatillos. Boil for 5 more minutes. Remove the tomatillos with a slotted spoon, and transfer to a blender. Add 1 clove of garlic, salt and 1 or 2 jalapenos. Puree until liquid, then taste, and blend in more jalapeno as desired. Set aside.
3.Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and 1 clove of garlic; cook and stir until fragrant. Add the fish fillets, and cook for about 2 minutes per side. Pour in the tomatillo sauce, and mix in the cilantro and lime juice. Simmer for a few minutes, or place under a broiler until fish flakes easily with a fork.
4.Serve fish immediately on a bed of rice. Spoon sauce over the top.

Fish pie recipe

100g per person of white fish fillets (e.g. Pollock, cod, you can throw a bit of salmon in there for extra colour or flavour)
1medium size potato per person
onion if you can tolerate it, chopped finely
milk
salt
pepper
25g butter or marge
25g plain flour

Peel the potatoes, chop them and boil them.
Meanwhile put the fish and onion in a pan with just enough milk to cover. Season wirh salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove the fish and put to one side. Pour the milk into a jug and reserve.
Melt the butter in the pan , then add the flour to make a roux.
Take the pan off the heat and slowly add the milk back in, stirring all the while.
When all the milk is added, put back on the heat and bring to the boil.
When the sauce thickens, put the fish back in and stir to coat. Put in a casserole dish.
By now the potatoes should be ready. Mash them and put on top of the fish in the casserole dish.
Put in the oven for 20mins or so at 180.

Had this for tea tonight and it was yummy!

Last edited:
Tuna fishcakes (serves 4)

250g mashed potato
salt and pepper
2 slices white bread with crusts removed, soaked in water
1 egg
lemon juice
2 tins tuna, drained
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
4 tablespoons parsley (optional)
150g toasted breadcrumbs

mix everything together except the breadcrumbs.
Make the mixture into balls, flatten them and coat with breadcrumbs.
Bake at 180 c for 20 minutes.

If you can't eat bread, use a little extra mash instead and leave off the coating!