Share Facebook

01-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
mharvey90

Low-Residue diet

Hello everyone,
I posted a thread the other day asking people for suggestions for food to eat on a soft food diet. However, I would like to be more specific in saying that I am officially starting myself on a Low-Residue diet. I have a stricture, which causes a lot of constipation for me, not diarrhea. I get really intense bowel spasms and pain in the area of my stricture. Trying out a low-residue diet for a week or two to try to give my intestines a break, and see if it helps. Then i'll know for future reference that when I'm feeling terrible, I can go back to this diet.

So pleaseeeeeeeeeee anyone who has gone on a low-residue or similar diet (easily digestible foods) please offer your suggestions on what is good to eat with this! Don't say bananas though cause if I eat a banana, I am guaranteed not to go to the bathroom for a week or so! They constipate to no end! Thanks everyone
01-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Apple sauce, white rice, yogurt, chicken noodle soup, and steamed carrots...Cream of wheat( actually I like Malt-O-Meal better. Mixed with butter, sugar and a small amount of half and half).....Did you see the link I posted on the other thread you posted about low-residue diet? There are tons of things on line.

Good luck 'M'. I hope you feel better......Oh yeah, baked potato NO CHIVES!
01-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
tamesis

I eat so much on a low residue diet.....probably not healthy stuff though. LOL. i stay away from fruits and veggies, unless they're really well cooked and skinless. i've been eating a lot of canned fruit, it's pretty gentle, pears are my fave. Pasta, i try to stay away from tomatoes, or at least limit them, but i seem to be ok with dairy, so often i make a bit of a rose sauce. White bread products, eggs seem to be ok. for proteins i seem to stick with fish or chicken. I thought ground beef would be ok, but have had it twice in the past couple weeks with bad effects, so no more. potatoes also seem to be ok, with no skin.

i also drink an ensure or similar every day, just because i don't really feel up to eating so only eat about once a day. I bought some slim-fast like powders, and blend those up with some milk and ice for a bit of a milkshake type deal.
01-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
mharvey90

popcorn, yes i did get that link, it was very helpful I like to also see what other people find particularly good and bad for them, so i have a broad range of options to look into
01-21-2010, 09:25 AM   #5
kenny

cook those carrots to death!

They are good for you but hard to digest. I thinks I have carrot induced ptsd

I eat canned green beans, wax beens and carrots for veggies. Canned are softer and easier to digest. Pasta, potatoes and rice for starch all well done and soft. Chicken,fish and peanut butter for protein. White bread/buns, cornflakes and rice crispies for grain. Canned mandarins, peaches and mango's for fruit. The odd banana. Plenty of ramon noodle soups, cream soups and tomato soup. Omelets or scrambled eggs too. Also eggo's with real maple syrup. There is a maple syrup barn about 2 miles from here and I get get right for the guy who boils it down

I have begun adding bits of bell pepper, onion, ginger, oregano or Rosemary to my foods for flavor. I have also eaten a few slices of pizza here and there but it is not a good thing for me. Oh Quiche! I learned how to cook Quiche from my new crohny cookbook.

Diagnosed July of 2009 / Surgery Oct 2009 / 175mg Imuran since Jan 2010
01-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
mharvey90

Awesome, thanks!
01-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #7
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

Some things on the low residue diet don't seem like they would agree with a stricture. Melon is low resi, but chewing that enough would be a problem I think. Also - I don't know this for a fact, but it seems like cheese might just bind together and not pass very easily.
Canned noodle soup with crackers maybe?
I was going to suggets one of the supplemental drinks too, but Tam already did.
I hope you can get to feeling a bit better between now and your surgery.