Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Do you think there will ever be a cure?

01-25-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
cwf5020

Do you think there will ever be a cure?

So I was thinking today, will there ever be a cure for Crohn's? Im optimistic and I think within the next 10 years there will be a major break through, atleast I can hope for that. What do you think?
01-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
shazamataz

I really, really hope so!!
01-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
CrohnsHobo

I sure hope so also.

Past Failed Treatments:
Prednisone
Remicade
Asacol/Lialda
6 MP
Cipro/Flagyl
Humira
Methotrexate
Cimzia
Azothiropine
Entyvio
Augmentin
Stelara
01-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #4
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
I just think back when HIV/AIDS was first gaining notice. It was pretty much a death sentence once you reach the status of full blown AIDS....Now people are living over 20 years without ever converting from HIV to AIDS......I think once there is more funding and research our quality of life will greatly be improved. I would love a cure, but it's not a vaccine kind of issue....So I don't know if it is curable.
01-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
CrohnsHobo

Hopefully the Crohn's bills Harry Reid is sponsoring will bring some more exposure and research into the disease.

For those that are curious it is THE IBD RESEARCH AND AWARENESS ACT

* Establish a pediatric IBD patient registry at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
* Establish an IBD awareness program at the CDC
* Establish a 5-year IBD epidemiology program at the CDC
* Tell the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease at the National Institutes of Health that Congress is interested in expanding IBD research

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-2275

Last edited by CrohnsHobo; 01-25-2010 at 06:12 PM.
01-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
I like the epidemiology aspect....If we can find the cause/ trigger I think we could prevent it from happening to others.

Last edited by imisspopcorn; 01-25-2010 at 07:09 PM.
01-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
katiesue1506

I have a high hope for stem cell research
01-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
cwf5020

I have been looking at the use of hookworms. It seems like a valid idea, and it may hold some hope as well.
01-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
Fog Ducker

I have been thinking of starting a thread like this too. I started to think about it after talking with my Remi nurse. We were saying that there just isnt enough exposure so not enough money being put into the research.

You also have to think that the pharmaceutical companies, are making WAY to much off these drugs that are WAY over priced, to push for research other than more drugs that make life bareable, rather than a cure.
But thats just my 2cents.

Dx UC: 2006. Dx CD: 2008
Current Meds: Remecade 800mg evry 6 weeks, Methatrexate 7.5mg once a week oraly, Asacol 800mg 3 times a day.
01-25-2010, 08:51 PM   #10
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

I remember 17 years ago they thought a cure was within 10 years... guess it is alot more complexed than what people think..Crohns and Colitis is not even mentioned in the funding programs...not enough donations or awareness. We have our firt BBQ in May, usually hits on mothers day weekend, from M&M's. So if you can volunteer for any event even for a couple of hours, it all makes it worth while!
01-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
kenny

no I don't.

I think we will get better ways to minimize the impact it has on peoples day to day life but I do not think they will ever be able to reprogram someones immune system. I don't think the stem cell thing is going to work either. It is an example of the price we pay for being a highly adaptive and complex animal species.

Diagnosed July of 2009 / Surgery Oct 2009 / 175mg Imuran since Jan 2010
01-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #12
Peaches

My Support Groups:
Fog Ducker said:
You also have to think that the pharmaceutical companies, are making WAY to much off these drugs that are WAY over priced, to push for research other than more drugs that make life bareable, rather than a cure.
But thats just my 2cents.
It is part of the R&D cycle. If you think about it - there is little market for trying to turn a profit on us versus say a cardiac drug or a common cancer drug. They spend literally MILLIONS of dollars to develop a drug that may or may not ever make it to market. The fact that some of them have been willing to invest heavily on meds that don't hit a high percentage of the population just amazes me (from a corporate profit turning standpoint). After all - who said pharmaceutical companies are altruistic in nature? I am glad that we have some of these expensive meds available to us and understand why they are so expensive.

As for a cure - I will never lose hope. The fact that I have children with the prospect of also having grandchildren, and knowing that there is a genetic aspect to this disease - I continue to hold out hope that none of my offspring will have to suffer from this horrible disease.
01-25-2010, 09:51 PM   #13
MINI Cooper

I believe that it will happen, may not be tomorrow, but will happen.
I also believe in being proactive for things that you want.
I am part of the National CCFA Fundraising committee. We work on
fundraising and awareness all year long and then have our big walk
in May each year. The more people we can get to understand the disease
and the more money we have to use, the more chance we have to
find a cure, and in the meantime, develop better drugs.
Knowing is half the battle! That's why my team for the walk is named
'G.I Crohn's' Go Crohnies!

This is the logo that I made:
Shameless Plug:
www.cloverscritters.com
01-25-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
Fog Ducker

Thats good Mini! I like that.
01-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #15
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
That's cool Mini!!! I just got an e-mail saying our walk is May 1st. I think belonging to this forum has given me more incentive to participate this year.
01-26-2010, 12:56 AM   #16
MINI Cooper

yay! Good for you!
01-26-2010, 04:41 AM   #17
GirlFriday

No, sadly I don't.
I did. I used to pray for it all the time - then I realised about 3 months ago that I just don't believe it anymore. I don't want to get anyone down, or sound all negative so I wont go into why. What I DO believe though is that they will be able to prevent it - a vaccine if you like, so in the future people wont get it.

Meds:

6MP, Entocourt, Salofalk

Multi-vitamin, Folate, Omega 3
01-26-2010, 05:18 AM   #18
merrywidow
mum with a dogdy tum

i done believe there willl be a cure. but perhaps they could work out why/how we got it. prevention is always better than cure

fred (stoma) was born on sept 10th 2003

life is like a loo roll, the nearer to the end you get the faster it goes.

memories are what makes life, life is what makes memories, make them good

sharon x
01-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #19
D Bergy

Make a list of the diseases cured in the last twenty years, and that will pretty much tell you what I think.

Dan
01-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #20
kenny

D Bergy said:
Make a list of the diseases cured in the last twenty years, and that will pretty much tell you what I think.

Dan
infectious diseased or genetic disorders?
01-26-2010, 05:07 PM   #21
mharvey90

I'm agreeing with GirlFriday and Dan
01-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #22
D Bergy

Cures for any disease of any kind. I would like to see a list of those diseases cured in the last twenty years. The age of the most explosive advances in technology ever.

I can think of one, but I have not really looked hard.

Dan
01-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #23
Christy

I have a very cynical attitude about most things, not just Crohn's, and I (sadly) don't see a 'cure' coming along. Cure a chronic & life-long disease? One that the treatment for which they (the pharmaceutical companies 'they') are making so much money selling so many high priced drugs? Yeah ... sure ..... right ... I'll hold my breathe ...
01-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #24
D Bergy

I am not cynical, but surely if there was a real effort to cure anything, we should see some kind of result in a twenty year time span. There are thousands of diseases, and most all of them have treatments, but to find one cure in recent history is as rare as Hens Teeth.

I think of it as realistic thinking based on the evidence at hand.

Dan
01-27-2010, 01:32 AM   #25
pb4

They may have found a cure for MS, that's pretty huge...something to do with a vein in the neck that is a bit blocked and not allowing enough blood flow to a part of the brain (something or other), some doc somewhere in europe discovered it, wasn't too long ago either they had the story on the news...and see how crappy my memory is, man, can't even recall details on stuff anymore.

01-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #26
kenny

D Bergy said:
I am not cynical, but surely if there was a real effort to cure anything, we should see some kind of result in a twenty year time span. There are thousands of diseases, and most all of them have treatments, but to find one cure in recent history is as rare as Hens Teeth.

I think of it as realistic thinking based on the evidence at hand.

Dan
started looking into this a little bit for the personal interest. All infectious disease though. Nothing about genetic disorders

http://health.howstuffworks.com/12-d...th-century.htm

Last edited by kenny; 01-27-2010 at 10:54 AM.
01-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #27
farm
Captain Insaneo

Sadley enough if they started curing diseases they would loose tons of money so if a cure ever did exist, we would not know about it.

This is true for most diseases.
01-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #28
Sue-2009

I agree with the posts that say we need more money and awareness. I really urge family and friends to fill out form letter at the ccfa.org and go into advocacy. If there was some way people could get their story to them...their thread; I think it would grab our leaders attention. The squeky wheel gets the most. HIV/Aids people got more attention when Crohns and other immune patients have been around much much longer. So, that new drug with almost 90% success (is it 90?) LDN... is coming from them! We have to push and ask just like the people who get the funding for research. Some of the threads here on how/what they are going through should scare the bejees out of them. So, I am sure you've gone into the site, and done so...but send it to your friends & family...write the letter for them...Okay....enough soap box. I do hope there is something to get us all into remission along with god forbid...my children, my (hopeful) grandchildren..etc...Sorry for the long post. S
01-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #29
D Bergy

Concerning the CCFA. Do a search on Low Dose Naltrexone on their site, and see what you get for articles and research on the drug.

Let us know the results, and then give me an explanation for the result.

I would like to think there is a reasonable explanation for the void of information on Low Dose Naltrexone, but I really cannot come up with one.

Dan
01-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #30
mharvey90

the pharmacuetical companies are a monopoly, therefore i don't personally believe there will ever be a cure for cancer, luekemia, hiv/aids, or any other disease, including crohn's. i don't think it would be allowed by the drug companies. could you imagine if there was a cure for cancer? you how how much the population would increase? the world would become overpopulated because cancer of any kind is (one of) if not THE leading cause of death worldwide? the drug companies would go out of business cause nobody would need any treatment, if there was a cure.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Do you think there will ever be a cure?