Share Facebook


01-26-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
Rich.Gully
New Member
 
Rich.Gully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Humira or surgery

i am really confussed i have been given the options of starting humira or have a resection and i have no idea what to go for. right now i am in pretty good health i havent had a flare up for a few months so nows the time to act. i would just like to know a bit more about the drug like the up and down side of it from first hand accounts and also resection like recovery time/pain because im in a full time touring band i dont wanna take to much time off. any info would be much appreciated thankyou.
Rich
01-26-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!
 
My Butt Hurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Most people try to save surgery for the last resort. What are your symptoms? What treatments have you tried so far? Humira worked very well for me until it started wearing off. Now Remicade has kept me flare free for 14 months.
Welcome to the forum!
01-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Welcome to the forum. Did you not go on Remicade first?? I am surprised if not. I think it is the better and or stronger than Humira. I was allergic to Remi but I wished I could of stayed on it. Humira is milder. I am assuming you are narrowing? If your not it should be controlled thru meds, as MBH says, it really is the last resort. Depends on how bad your pains are and where they are. Having surgery fixes strictures and narrowing but your chances of it coming back can be higher and you still should be on maintenance drugs after as well. Ask your Gi what his opinion is, I hope you feel better soon. Let us know what you decide!
01-26-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
kenny
Senior Member
 
kenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
You might want to keep the surgery for when you are too scared up to regenerate. Having surgery does not prevent the recurrence of diseased tissue. It just cuts out the stuff that wont work anymore because it is to damaged to repair its self. Also fistulas factor into this. Small ones can close supposedly but established ones might need more attention.
__________________
Rectum? Damn near Killed'em

Diagnosed July of 2009 / Surgery Oct 2009 / 175mg Imuran since Jan 2010
01-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired
 
imisspopcorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009

My Support Groups:
I would give the Humira a go.....After my resection, the disease came back with a vengence and starting attacking the healthy areas near the surgery site.
__________________
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Instead of hiding in the darkness of a grey cloud, why not look for the silver lining?
01-27-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
uab grad student
Senior Member
 
uab grad student's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
I would try the Humira. I'm on Humira trying to delay the need for surgery as long as possible. My main problem is an ileal stricture, which my doctor is keeping a close watch on. She said if Humira doesn't help, I'll have to have surgery. The shots aren't so bad, and I'm hoping they help relieve the inflammation and keep me from needing surgery too soon.
__________________
Ashlee

December 2009--Diagnosed with Crohn's

Current Crohn's meds: entocort, remicade, 6-MP

Other stuff: pulmicort, pro-air, celexa

Current supplements: ferrous sulfate, folic acid, Vitamin B12, Calcium, Vitamin D, women's multi-vitamin, Florastor probiotic
01-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
uli
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Jep, got the same message as UGS today. Either the Humira starts showing more obvious results or its surgery ( stoma operation ) - kinda hard to swallow but since my quality of life is suffering so bad atm, it could be a good solution. Worried like hell though.
Humira dose will be increased to every 10 days along with daily dose of Entocort - hoping this will generate improvement.
Hmmmm??
Reply

Thread Tools


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 AM.
Copyright 2006-2017 Crohnsforum.com