• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Crohn's - My story

My name is Frank, I am 22 years old and just graduated college this past december.

It all started last mid-november when I started to get sharp stomach pains (apparently cause by gases cuz of my colon inefficiency or whatever)...i took it lightly and just stopped the lactose and drank some peptobismol. After a week went by i visited the university doctor and told her my symptoms...to make it short, i wasted a lot of time on wrong diagnosis and visiting 3 different doctors...i didnt have medical insurance so I avoided the hospital or gastro for a while because i didnt think it was that serious anyways....

i was told i had an ulcer, bacteria, etc...i was also soo stressed with financial stuff, a failing class and other class work, etc that i think that just made it worse and possibly was the cause of it all.

anyways, in dec 13th i finally went to the ER, from 9pm-3am....after a CAT scan they sent me home sayin i had colitis and to take three antibiotics; cipro, flagyl and some other one for stomach pain. 10 days later and all they did was to aliviate (sp) the fever..but once i finish taking them i got weaker and the fever came back a few days after and had to go back to the hospital.

on the 28th i went in and in the hospital the infeccion/inflamation was really bad and apparently a vein popped and started a hemorrage...this became my second problem in the hospital that made me stay there for 3 weeks before they decided to operate and just take that part out.

So i underwent surgery and was finally release January 21st...so now im home recovering eating all this organic stuff which I had learned to appreaciate. It has opened my eyes to how important it is to have a great nutrition, stress free life, and to just appreciate things more and to spread hte word of eating healthy.

Im currently reading a book called "the maker's diet - by Jordan Rubin"...I highly recommend it!! it's full with a lot of insightful knowledge.

I have been shopping in the wholefoods market and havent have much if any trouble finding [replacements] for what i used to eat.

Yesterday i went out for the first time after coming out the hospital to a restaurant and have to admit i got really frustrated when i opened the menu and started basically realize i would have to pay 10-18 dollars for a meal i would have to take off 2/3rds of its ingredients!!!

but oh well, you have to learn to live with it...the patology report said they were missing a cell called "granuloma" which prevented them from clinically/officially declaring [me] it crohn's desease...but my gastro said it didnt matter, that i had 99.9% crohn's anyways...and i expect to treat it like such cuz i dont wanna take any chances.

my main pain is not being able to eat cheese when im out,,,unless i find like goat cheese or soy cheese...but they rarely sell those on the restaurants like to put on burgers or pizzas or that kind of stuff.

sorry for the long write up.

:welcome: Frank!! Wow....you just went through a LOT. Glad that you have a good attitude about eating healthy - it is important. Especially since you have just had the "bad parts" removed from your body - you want to try and give yourself as much ability to remain healthy as possible. Oddly enough though - if you hang around here any length of time - you will find that everyone's bodies react differently to our "shared" disease. Some things that you are able to tolerate - others are not and vice versa.

Hopefully you will be able to keep your disease quiet for a long time. Do they have you on any medications presently?

Yah i went through a lot, you have no idea...I also experienced side issues like a mouth fongus when they stopped the antibiotics on the last days, they took the folie/cateter out wrong and damaged my penis, i lost 40lbs but i have gained 13lbs in less than 2 weeks since i got out...but its all over know I have felt this has made me stronger to the point i enjoy myself as a person now that i feel im much more capable, knowledgeble and wiser about things. God trully is healing me.

Im on prednisone for now. I have my first post-surgery/hospital visit to hte gastro this wednesday to see what he plans on prescribing.

After 25 days on not eating a single solid food, the gastro gave the order for me to eat (after I passed gas after surgery meaning that my intestine had woken up and was ready to digest food...or try to lol)...they brilliant hospital kitchen staff didnt get the full order from the doc that said "semi-solids" and instead just gave me chicken fingers and fries!!! with bbq sauce!!

and guess what, i ate it (am i retarded yes, but now i understand those outcast people that would eat a bug after days of not eating...my hunger was beyond belief)...i even added pepper to the frieds negligently. Results? it went down perfect lol...hell, the soup broths they gave me gave me more pain...this did nothing. I have eaten healthy ever since.

i had never been to the hospital until this...and what a journey it was.

I used to buy the mcdonal $0.59 cheeseburger special...i woudl buy 12 (maximum number they let you buy) and take them home and put them in the freezer and snack whenever i wanted to eat.

I ate so much junk...hell i didnt even fruits...only on a smoothy/juice...vegetebles? lettuce, brocolli occationally...asparagus (sp), peas, grains... Now I am all healthy and organic lol...preaching to my college buds not to eat junk and stuff. I have a few on a healthy diet lol man this has really change me and the people around me (worried and scared that this will happen to them).

Haa...I totally relate to the HUNGER thing in the hospital. I was in 9 days and on the day before I left they ordered up fried fish and mashed potatoes. MAN..that was the BEST mashed potatoes I...have....ever...had!!!! And I'm telling you - I remember what they look like and I know they had to be powdered potatoes that had been reconstituted LOL! I ate the mess out of that stuff!! And I ate for weeks after trying to gain the weight back that I lost. I think I was down to around 104 pounds when I left the hospital. I also had thrush while I was in the hospital - I think it is from the heavy antibiotics they give you pre/post surgery. It was nasty - like wearing a sweater on your tongue.

Well...I'm glad to hear no more frozen cheeseburgers for you! One every now and again is ok. Everything in moderation.....

Don't drive yourself completely crazy being super ridged with the food thing though - it can actually cause you stress ok?

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
:welcome: Frank.....I hope you are feeling better now. Are you on any maintenance meds for the disease?

Welcome to the forum. If you have any questions, just ask.

Welcome Frank!!! I KNOW all about the hungry after the hospital...I spent 3 weeks in the hospital from my fist surgery, at this point it was all so new to me and no one really stopped to explain everything to me, so when they started me on solids finally, my then husband calls me from home and says he is on his way to come see me but he is stopping at McDonald's to eat first...ME being starving said get me some fries....He brought them and I inhaled them...10 min later I was in face deep in a bed pan crying worried I was going to pop my staples I was throwing up so hard....The nurse come in and she started giggling and said well I guess french fries are off your list for now..She gave me some meds to help the throwing up and then sat down with me for over an hour explaining this whole new life to me...I have to thank her alot though she took the time to explain things to me that my DR didnt.

Welcome Frank! Gosh, you;ve had a rough intro to this disease, and all so fast!! your attitude is fantastic and I am sure this will help you to remain well. Great to have you here :)

lol yeah i only puked once but its was from all the walking...they told me walking would do me good and i over did it.

i was sent home with two medications for the thrust which i finished and im cure from that...im just on prednisone for now. 3 little pills at 8am and 1 little pill at 4pm. thats it...havent had any side effects or anything...

Nyx

I, too, can relate to the hunger! For the first 8 days that I was in hospital all I had was ice chips to eat (and no, they are sooooo not a meal replacement). Then I was on an IV diet for the next week (again, not a meal replacement!). I finally got to eat pudding on Christmas day....omg...that was the best pudding I've ever had in my life!! It went downhill from there....lol...hospital food is awful. I'll never forget the meatloaf that looked like a hockey puck, and tasted like one too! Thank God for a boyfriend that would bring in food for me!

Good luck to you, and welcome to the group. I've only been a member for a few days, but everyone's been so nice and helpful.

Cindy