Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » The Maker's Diet - Jordan Rubin. Best book ever!

02-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
karma_hunden

The Maker's Diet - Jordan Rubin. Best book ever!

I highly recommend this book. I also offers an incredible diet that might change your life and even cure you.

This book is about a guy that suffered from crohns to the point that he almost died. He later found the cure in the "Maker's Diet" in which he later explains. He also became a nutritionist/doctors with a few degrees and is able to give the reader a more insighful explanation of things (to avoid, implement in your life, etc).

highly recommend it!!!

Maker'S Diet At Amazon
02-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
Peaches

My Support Groups:
Hey Karma - read it last week....mmm, taking some of it to heart. I am a Christian and did find some of his references to the Bible pretty interesting. The parts about what meat NOT to eat was spot on - just never thought about it that way before. I have ordered the Raw One vitamins and so far, I'm having great success with them. Normally any vitamin I take just tears my gut up, but I seem to be tolerating them well - no fillers in them may be why. Here is a thread I started a week or so ago.

http://crohnsforum.com/showthread.ph...Maker%27s+Diet
02-02-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
kello82

i tried BTVC which is similar in ideals. im not super religious so that part did not affect me much.

i did try the Primal Defense probiotics though. i think thats their name right?
they didnt seem to have any affect either.
Everything, everything will be alright.

<3 Mik
02-02-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

Jordan Rubin is a charlatan of the worst kind. Ponzi schemers, insider traders and garden variety con men prove the adage that there's a sucker born every minute, but snake oil salesmen take it a whole other (low) level. They prey on the desperation of the sick, frail and often financially strapped.

Rubin has bogus degrees and has been substantially fined and told to cease and desist by federal authorities over his spurious claims. None of which can bear the scrutiny of clinical trials.

His schtick is all wrapped up in feel-good jargon -- part New Age self-empowerment with selective religious references.

Of course he has a whole range of merchandise. Guy doesn't miss a trick.

I think he's a scumbag.

I hope the bill currently before my House of Parliament passes, and puts guys like Jordan Rubin not only out of business but behind bars.
02-02-2010, 04:56 AM   #5
violetcreams

Wow, I don't like the sound of that. Don't think I'd touch him with a mucky stick.
02-02-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
kenny

I have a hard time "Placing Faith" in a guy who bought a PH.D through the mail for $60.

Diagnosed July of 2009 / Surgery Oct 2009 / 175mg Imuran since Jan 2010
02-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
violetcreams

Absolutely with you on that Kenny!!!!
09-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Bumping this thread. A friend of mine just lent me this book, so I checked to see if there was a thread on it and sure enough here it is. I'm not religious in the least so I'm not sure if I'm even going to read it. Especially now that I've read some of the comments in this thread - GJG's comment in particular! Sounds like this author is something of a snake oil peddler.
10-09-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
Miss Spencer

I hope the bill currently before my House of Parliament passes, and puts guys like Jordan Rubin not only out of business but behind bars.
I hope NOT.

It is guys like Jordan Rubin, Joseph Mercola, David Klein, Mike Adams, Paul Nison, Craig Sommers, Stanley Bass, Steven Monkiewicz and other natural hygiene pioneers who represent health freedoms, which give me hope for the future.

If you put them all in prison, I will be stuck with taking only FDA approved drugs and no other options.

And the rest of your comments make me want to read The Makers Diet even more. Although I am not religious, so constant Bible references may annoy me. But I like people who think outside the square when it comes to health matters, so it may be worth putting up with bible quotes.

I have read a couple of online reviews for the book and many of his principles make perfect sense:

Eating seed bearing fruit
Eating grains that have been soaked, sprouted or fermented
Eating unprocessed foods as close to nature intended
Probiotics
The importance of proper digestion
The importance of eating organic foods free from harmful pesticides
The importance of the mind, body & spirit connection. And how an unbalanced system can affect our health.

I read that Jordan Rubin believes "that because man was not meant to eat the way he eats today these incorrect eating habits are to blame for many of the diseases and conditions that are so prevalent in industrialized society today”.

It just makes such perfect sense. There is absolutely nothing snake oil salesmen or charlatan about a guy making perfect sense.

Another book to add to my reading list.
10-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #10
countrycoffeehouse

My Support Groups:
ok I'm biting.. I am a strong christian- not a preachy one though, I have been asked by practically everyone to read this book. Its a solution for me! Are they crazy? The thought of eating whole grains anything.. will kill my guts the whole way out. And I do agree that all the junk in our food is bad for us.. but when i eat the super healthy stuff I am SICK or sicker.. weird. I am a whole wheat hotdog bun lady even for my family.. but I can not eat it.. I have to stick to white bread.. French or something like it. I tried his diet and was so bad I needed to have a bed pan because I couldn't get out of bed.. I then researched him and found out he paid for some of his degree's and that they are bogus.. I love naturalpaths and organic.. but this was not for me
10-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #11
Rebecca85

I haven't even tried it for the same reasons you say. Fair enough, you find something that works for you and you want to tell everyone about it, but buying degrees is fraud in my opinion. And the low res diet helps with my symptoms, so I shan't be trying a diet that tells me to eat the foods that makes my symptoms worse.

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
10-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I tend to distrust anyone who says they've found a "cure" for something, and if it's multiple unrelated conditions then it's even worse.

If they say this has helped lots of people and might help you, that's a different story.
Goodnight Sweet Prince

10-13-2010, 10:35 PM   #13
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I tend to distrust anyone who says they've found a "cure" for something, and if it's multiple unrelated conditions then it's even worse.

If they say this has helped lots of people and might help you, that's a different story.
I totally agree. I've read the Maker's Diet book, I haven't followed the Diet but I have taken the supplements and found them very helpful, especially the Primal Defense. I also saw a red flag over the section that lists all of the ails that it will "cure"-from allergies to cancer to Crohn's to fibromyalgia...how is that possible?

Also, I'm not a fan of the relgious angle. I am a Christian but I'm always suspicious when someone selling a product incorperates religion into a "cure". Maybe I'm cynical, I dunno, but it seems like a marketing tool directed at a certain group for guaranteed sales.

I WILL STAY STRONG
I WILL FIGHT
I WILL WIN

Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol
10-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
juiceit
Banned

I totally agree. I've read the Maker's Diet book, I haven't followed the Diet but I have taken the supplements and found them very helpful, especially the Primal Defense. I also saw a red flag over the section that lists all of the ails that it will "cure"-from allergies to cancer to Crohn's to fibromyalgia...how is that possible?

Also, I'm not a fan of the relgious angle. I am a Christian but I'm always suspicious when someone selling a product incorperates religion into a "cure". Maybe I'm cynical, I dunno, but it seems like a marketing tool directed at a certain group for guaranteed sales.
Part of the problem is everyone is looking for a quick fix. People want that pill they can take, and keep doing what they are doing. If you are in a disease state, what you are doing isn't working. Very hard to pop a pill and fix that, it's a lot to overcome if you don't address why you are like that in the first place.

He got a little greedy.

But, the arguments I've seen here that someone lied about something to make money and throw out the work along with that because he lied about some things? If you applied that to everything in the 'medical' community the pharmacy shelves would be empty and there would be no doctors.

The reason that one thing can cure multiple diseases, is because when you break it down, that one thing providing the cure is really your own body. By eating and living a clean life that is all natural, you are giving your body the building blocks to fix itself, which it is designed to do.

When you stray from that, depending on your own makeup, different things will happen. Heart problems, diabetes, gut diseases, arthritis.

He's preaching get back to your roots in terms of living, I don't see how that is a bad thing at all or how anyone can discredit that, regardless of what he may have done personally.

As for calling eating well and taking care of yourself naturally snake oil, I don't know what to say to that other than it's reflective of a skepticism from a society looking for the solution to everything from someone else but within.

Last edited by juiceit; 10-14-2010 at 12:50 PM.
10-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #15
juiceit
Banned

I totally agree. I've read the Maker's Diet book, I haven't followed the Diet but I have taken the supplements
This is what I'm referring to with everyone wanting to pop a pill and not change. The answer is there, but it's too much work.

Not to single anyone out - if you read through this forum you will see hundreds if not thousands of comments like this.
10-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #16
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I think that the fundemental ideas ie. eating a balanced diet free of chemicals, hormones, etc. is sound. Probiotics are definitely important for everyone.

I didn't try the diet aspect, not because of not wanting to do the work, so to speak, but because seeds, whole grains, green drinks, copious amounts of coconut oil (or any oil for that matter) and juicing is something my gut can't tolerate on my best day. I'm sure many others here are in the same boat.

As for your own body being the cure, I have tested positive CA-125 and I inherited Crohn's from both sides of my family, so in my case, the body IS the problem, not the cure.

I incorporate what I can naturally to help myself, and rely on meds for the rest.
10-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #17
juiceit
Banned

I

As for your own body being the cure, I have tested positive CA-125 and I inherited Crohn's from both sides of my family, so in my case, the body IS the problem, not the cure.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CA-125

You can't inherit Crohn's, and you can't give it to someone. That CA-125 does not mean you have Crohn's. It's kind of like saying I have (whatever gene causes fair skin) I inherited skin cancer. Something's got to trigger the response that this has the potential to react with and give you the symptoms because of its response.

Everyone's body, like your mind or your actions, has the potential for good or bad.

I really hope you don't truly believe that your body in its natural form and state as you came into this world is the problem and root cause. Belief is very powerful in ways we don't fully understand yet, and if you truly believe that, then likely that is what your state of health will reflect.

Genetics and feeding people poisin is the time we are living in currently (actually past, science textbooks haven't caught up yet). But the times other people lived their life and died sound in their knowledge of the world around them, was flat earth, live spontaneously occurring from rocks and inatimate objects (people used to think maggots were spontanous life generating out of basically thin air and dirt). People used to use bloodletting and leaches. Barbers were doctors. Black people weren't people and neither were women.

The one truth, as far as people go that is irrefutable despite what you believe our origins to be, was when we started out on this planet, we ate what we could find from nature. Period. That's how our bodies worked, grew, healed, and still do.
10-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #18
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I don't think I inherited Crohn's; I know it as a scientific fact. Many of my first,second, even third degree relatives on both sides of my family have it. I also have been extensively tested by a genetic research doctor who has found many markers common for Crohn's in my family.

I had these tests done because no meds were working and the doctors felt if they knew exactly which pathological markers were involved it would help them make better decisions on treatment.

I am grateful I did; it also showed a predisposition to an aggressive form of colon cancer associated with certain forms of Crohn's. Because of this I am more rigorously screened for colon cancer; and sure enough, a year ago they found it in Stage 1. I was treated aggressively for this type of cancer with chemotherapy, even in Stage 1, because the doctors had the necessary information from the genetic testing to know exactly what they were dealing with.

I know that isn't true for all Crohn's patients; I am speaking for myself only. But knowledge is power; whether regarding natural treatments or medical treatments.

I know I am dealing with a disease that is complex and has shown the potential in my case to bring on an aggressive form of cancer, which if untreated would end my life. I am determined I will NOT lay down and let it take over my life and I will fight it to the end. I agree that the mind-body connection is strong and that a positive outlook works wonders; everyone on this website is a living testament to that, and that's why we all need to be supportive of each other.
10-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #19
juiceit
Banned

I don't think I inherited Crohn's; I know it as a scientific fact. Many of my first,second, even third degree relatives on both sides of my family have it.
That isn't indicative of anything. You get genetics from your family - but you also get behaviour. If you look at families body sizes and shapes, often you will see a trend. Fat parents, fat kids. Skinny parents, skinny kids. That's not to do with their genes, it's how they act.

Do some more reading on genetics, you'll find that it isn't the wonderful insight into everything even scientists thought it would be. Even when the human genome was mapped, they found a lot less than they had theorized would be there based on how they had assumed things worked and how they thought things fit together.

Look at stem cells. Those are actually very interesting. The basis of all life, all the cells in our body. They have the potentail to turn into any other cell. Just one single stem cell - it can be a hair cell, skin cell, liver cell, colon cell, blood cell - anything at all.

Do you know what determines what it becomes? It's not it's genes. It's the environment it's in, whether it's in a petri dish or in your body. It's the cell's surroundings. Acidity, minerals, moisture, light, etc etc, every condition in that stem cell's environment determines what that cell will become.

Our cells can be healty or sick. Do you know what determines what they are? The environment they are in, not the genes.

Last edited by juiceit; 10-14-2010 at 04:38 PM.
10-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #20
juiceit
Banned

I don't think

Jeannette
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
-Mark Twain
PS I like your quote - do you know what that actually means?

Here's an expert that explains Twain's stance on doctors:

Twain, an insightful political observed and social critic who was familiar with the competing medical systems and the medical politics of the 19th century, questioned the wisdom of limiting patients' medical options.He doubted the competence and intentions of physicians as a group even as he maintained confidence in the abilities of his own physicians. He was critical of the empirical medical practices used during his youth, but he saw hope in the new scientific orientation of medicine in the early 20th century. Twain's commentaries provide a unique perspective on pre-Flexnerian medicine in the United States.

His warning is referring to the things you believe in. Your inspirational signature is actually the opposite of what you are acutally saying.

Last edited by juiceit; 10-14-2010 at 04:53 PM.
10-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #21
DustyKat
Super Moderator

So do you believe that environment is the cause for all the diseases and disorders that humans are inflicted with?
10-14-2010, 05:03 PM   #22
juiceit
Banned

So do you believe that environment is the cause for all the diseases and disorders that humans are inflicted with?
Most. And when I say environment, I don't mean like hippie save the planet environemnt. I mean when you break it down to the cellular level, the environemnt the smallest living pieces in your body exist in and interact on. Part of that is the air we breathe, but it's really what we put in our body, on our body, or our body through. Your body is a closed system in equilibrium, kind of like a big cell.

In that sense, yes I believe environment is responsible for most diseases, at least these modern ones like IBD, heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and many fatal cancers.

And beyond that, I believe that to a degree, our bodies can fight off or self correct most of these things. But that's an optimally fueled body, with what it needs to do it's job. If you have been eating say 4 big macs a day for the last 5 years, and you get gut rot...if you keep eating 4 big macs a day and pop a pill to make it go away in addition, it likely won't go away, it's too much to overcome without stopping eating big macs. But if you stop eating big macs that caused your problem, and start shoving healthy food through, you likely can heal yourself and likely don't need that pill.

Cells die off, they get replaced. They get repaired. When it comes time to generate new cells, and repair cells, if the environment is the same that caused them to be unhealthy, they will remain that way.

Last edited by juiceit; 10-14-2010 at 05:18 PM.
10-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #23
rottengut91

My Support Groups:
Here's another quote for you....

“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.”
10-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #24
juiceit
Banned

Here's another quote for you....

“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.”
“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
10-16-2010, 08:46 AM   #25
lynx

"The truest characters of ignorance are vanity and pride and arrogance."
Samuel Butler
10-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #26
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
For those who are interested here's the study my doctor referenced to me, from the CCFA website,

"Scientists have identified a handful of genes that increase the risk of developing Crohn's disease, confirming that the often debilitating inflammatory bowel disease has a strong genetic component.

U.S. and Canadian researchers scanned the entire genome -- all 22,000 genes -- of about 6,000 people. Approximately half had Crohn's disease and half did not, they reported in the medical journal Nature Genetics.

Previous studies identified two genes involved in the disease.

"I think at this point we have probably up to about eight or nine genes, depending on how you define it," said Dr. John Rioux of the Montreal Heart Institute and the Universite de Montreal, who led the team of investigators.

The researchers said the findings showed genetics play a crucial role in the disease, although environmental factors also are involved. For example, smoking raises one's risk.

Pinpointing the genes that predispose people to Crohn's disease, the researchers said, could help lead to new ways to treat it.

The study relied on the Human Genome Project, a map of the human DNA, which is available free to anyone on the Internet. Researchers can compare the DNA of Crohn's disease patients to this DNA map to see how one person differs from another."

"Who Gets IBD?
IBD tends to run in families, so we know that genes definitely play a role in the IBD picture. Studies have shown that about 20 to 25 percent of patients may have a close relative with either Crohn's or ulcerative colitis. If a person has a relative with the disease, his or her risk is about 10 times greater than that of the general population. If that relative happens to be a brother or sister, the risk is 30 times greater.

Researchers have been working actively for some time to find a link to specific genes that control the transmission of this illness. Recently, an important breakthrough was achieved when the first gene for Crohn's disease was identified by a team of IBD investigators. The researchers were able to pick out an abnormal mutation or alteration in a gene known as NOD2/CARD 15.. This mutation, which limits the ability to recognize bacteria as harmful, occurs twice as frequently in Crohn's patients as in the general population."

I know some here rely more on natural remedies and believe that this will help the body heal itself. I support their desicion to manage their disease on their terms. For myself I use a combination of the two, and it has worked very well in my case. I don't think this makes me a hypocrite.

For those who disagree, you're entitled to your opinion but you are not entitled to insult others. We should be supportive of each other in our fight against Crohn's.
10-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #27
DustyKat
Super Moderator

I know some here rely more on natural remedies and believe that this will help the body heal itself. I support their desicion to manage their disease on their terms. For myself I use a combination of the two, and it has worked very well in my case. I don't think this makes me a hypocrite.

For those who disagree, you're entitled to your opinion but you are not entitled to insult others. We should be supportive of each other in our fight against Crohn's.
Well said Jeanette!

Dusty.
10-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #28
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
I continue to read threads like this touting our former glorious close to the earth past and yet the average life expectancy has doubled in the last hundred years!!! Long live science!! I believe it is just common sense to eat less processed foods and yes the availability of fresh fruits and veggies due to refrigeration may be a huge factor in our life expectancy but so is medical advancement that is due in large part to genetic research. Please, let's none of us discount either aspect of our good fortune.

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
10-16-2010, 05:34 PM   #29
rottengut91

My Support Groups:
[QUOTE=Mountaingem;234952]

For those who disagree, you're entitled to your opinion but you are not entitled to insult others. We should be supportive of each other in our fight against Crohn's.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. Well said Jeanette
10-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #30
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
With all of the overall diet related things I will admit that we don't eat as we are designed to eat. Food technology has evolved far faster than we have, but with that said medical diagnosis technology has greatly improved as well so it might not be that instances of disease are increasing but are ability to detect them. While no one may have heard of IBD or Lupus a few hundred years ago, blood letting was still a common treatment for most illnesses.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » The Maker's Diet - Jordan Rubin. Best book ever!