• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Never, Never, Never

In ten years I have NEVER been able to tolerate any iron pills. Once again I attempted last night which resulted in all night trips to the bathroom, nausea and pain.

I get so weak and fatigued from the anemia that it causes me to be depressed and feel like I'm just dragging my body around from day to day.

Does anyone else have problems with anemia? How do you deal with it?

Last edited:
One thing you might want to look in to is iron infusions given by your doctor. I know my doctor said I'd have to do that if I couldn't tolerate iron pills. Luckily I found a brand I can tolerate (Slow FE) I make sure I take it with food and plenty of water and I don't notice it at all. I hope you figure something out... the anemia does suck.

Do you happen to know what your hemoglobin count is? I've found I can manage the 9-10 range, but once I get to the 8-9 or below range I'm just too tired to do anything.

Thank you for the response. I tried the Slow Fe last night =( it was painful. I'm going to call my doc tmrw. It just sucks when I can't even get up to go to the printer at work or fix myself a decent meal at home b/c I'm too tired to stand in the kitchen.

My count ranges btw 6 and 11 most times.

If you are much below 8, they usually transfuse you. Those are dangerously low levels. I would definitely talk to your doc asap about iron infusions.

I have not been tested for anemia but I have had all the symptoms. When those come on, I have been fortunate and have been able to go the natural way with iron rich foods.

Not a fan of liver..Lol I will call him about the transfusion. Yes I can feel the "dangerously low" like I'm gonna pass out sometimes

Lisa you are fortunate to go with iron rich foods. I'm gonna try harder on that route.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
katiesue1506 said:
Luckily I found a brand I can tolerate (Slow FE)
I've only had to take iron once before, and this was the kind that didn't hurt my belly. Those little red straight iron pills will hurt ya'!
Slow FE is expensive, but worth it.

I am anemic and my doc has given me 'gentle' iron that is the same as you can buy from a health shop. Hasn't given me any problems so far!

Yeah, I was diagnosed as anemic in the hospital and had to take iron supplements for 2 weeks once I was discharged from the hospital. I think I had the ferrous gluconate kind - they were greenish in color. I never had any problem with them, but made sure to take them with a meal. They checked me blood 2 weeks later and the anemia had resolved itself, so now I just take a multivitamin with iron in it. Hopefully that's good enough to stave off the anemia! I can't imagine feeling like you want to faint all the time. I passed out the day after I was discharged from overexerting myself, anemia, and lack of a real food diet, but it was scary. Definitely let us know what your doc says!

I tried all kinds of iron drugs but they all upset me. In the end I was really anaemic and now I see a haematologist at the hospital for iron infusions every 6 months. They really are amazing!

When I was first diagnosed I was on Iron, but when they ran out I never had anymore and have never had any since. I was guna suggest the multi vitamin untill I saw how low your levels were. I think something definitely needs to be done! Good Luck! x x x

Thanks guys I spoke to my dr and told him I could not tolerate the pills and he said he will set up a transfusion. I'm sooo looking to forward to it! I need energy!

I feel like you have to speak extra firmly with gi docs, its like they aren't really hearing you when you say you feel crappy.

Another thought, maybe if you need to take them again, try them with OJ? I found that helped. And for iron rich foods....sounds gross, but a friend of mine special ordered ground cow heart from the butcher....said it tastes like ground beef, but has super amounts of iron....