Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Surgery scheduled...nervous!

02-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
mharvey90

Surgery scheduled...nervous!

After nearly a year in all-out flare mode, with many medications tried and no relief, we have finally made the decision to go ahead and get a resection done. I had surgery done in 2002 when I was only 12 years old to remove about 6 inches of my terminal ileum. My crohn's has reoccurred in the same area now 8 years later, and I will be having 7+ inches removed on May 20th! I am really nervous, because I was so young when I had my first surgery, and I went into a complete, symptom-free remission for about 8 years after it. Also, with that being pediatric surgery, I only have a very small 2 inch scar from it, below the bikini line. For this upcoming surgery, my surgeon that I met with today told me it will be higher up, around my bellybutton, and probably larger

Anyways, despite my nervousness, I am actually really excited to get it done and be able to feel better! I just need to get through this semester of very difficult classes, then into the hospital I go! I am hoping for another (at least) 8 years of remission!

So wish me luck! and please do share some surgery success stories to boost my confidence!!
02-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
Nyx

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
I'm glad you're looking forward to the surgery, and I wish you luck and another at least 8 years of remission

Although I didn't have resection surgery, my colostomy turned out very well and I'm feeling fantastic! I have a huge scar from about an inch above my bellybutton to just above my pubis. But, the way I feel now, it's worth it. Sometimes the tradeoff is worth it! Even pooping in a bag is pretty good.....never thought I'd hear myself saying that!

Good luck to you! I hope it all goes well and that you get the results that you want

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

02-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
Nic

Sorry to hear nothing worked for you I haven't had any surgery's yet so I can't be any help in that area. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck and hopefully longer than 8 yrs of remission this time around

Previous Meds: Imuran, Azathioprene, Prednisone, Entocort, Pentasa

Flinstones Vitamins, Iron & Ensure (when I can get them down these days!!)
02-24-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
I have had an awesome surgery success story! I had it done in 8/2008. My pain is gone! I am so thankful that I am feeling better. You are fortunate that your surgery is scheduled and not emergent.....You will have a much better outcome because you are going in ready and prepared. As your date gets closer and if you have any specific questions just ask or PM me....Good luck.
02-25-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
mharvey90

Thanks guys! I have only met my surgeon once but so far he seems really great. Very down to earth and willing to listen to all of my concerns. And yes, I definitely hope to keep my symptoms at bay for the next 3 months so that I am stable going into surgery so that I don't have to end up in an emergency surgery situation. My surgeon, as well as my doctor, said that at this point, it's not a matter of IF i need surgery, it's a matter of when. And although I hate that I have to agree, I know it's true, and I know it's best to get it done over my summer break rather than to try to wait until I'm in a really terrible situation which could potentially lead to needing emergency surgery...and having to take time off school next year! Thanks for everyones replies and support
02-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
uli

Best of luck to you, it will work out well I'm sure.
Being curious, how long recoverytime is needed after surgery ?
02-25-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
Nyx

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
uli said:
Best of luck to you, it will work out well I'm sure.
Being curious, how long recoverytime is needed after surgery ?
I was in the hospital for 24 days but could have been out after about 2 weeks if I hadn't developed a blood clot in each lung during surgery. The actual recovery time all told for me was about 6 weeks. But I didn't really have any pain or other complicatons (thank God for that!).
02-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #8
Juben

I'll say a prayer for your surgery. I just had mine a week ago yesterday and I am doing great! I posted the details on here somewhere... I have been able to eat veggies for the 1st time in 6 months. I have been off pain meds for several days already (except sometimes at night) and got out and drove today.
It's still very early but I'm thinking the surgery was well worth it!
02-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
Astra

My Support Groups:
Good luck mharvey
not had this surgery myself, but it sounds the business!

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

02-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #10
kenny

I'm glad I had mine. It took a while to get over and I felt like I was stepping backward a few times but six months later I feel 100%. I'm sure if will go just as well for you. They were able to stay below the belly button with me and I am a skinny runt! If I wear swim-trunks with an elastic waist you would never even see it!

I am sure wearing a bikini would be different but I don't know for sure. We'd have to ask Pirate. I've never tried on a Banana hammock to see

Diagnosed July of 2009 / Surgery Oct 2009 / 175mg Imuran since Jan 2010
02-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
Sue-2009

Ohhh!!! Good Stories!!! Good Luck to you!!! I hope you feel better!!! And good luck on your surgery!! Sue
02-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #12
Nyx

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
kenny said:
I am sure wearing a bikini would be different but I don't know for sure. We'd have to ask Pirate. I've never tried on a Banana hammock to see
LMAO @ banana hammock!
02-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
Kev

My Support Groups:
My last operation was a breeze... they took out 1 and 1/2 feet of bowel, yet I was up walking around within 6 hrs (mind you, with a pair of nurses for support, and a morphine pump for pain). I was out of hospital in less than a week. If I had to have it again, I wouldn't fear it... because the (pardon the pun) 'operative' words in that statement are "HAD TO HAVE IT"

Dx'd July, 2006
Meds: Flagyl, Cipro, Pred, AZA.. to no effect
Low Dose Naltrexone Nov 2007 - May 2014
Remicade June 17th, 2014
02-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
kenny said:
Ahahaha....Kenny you have a way with words that always makes me laugh. Not to mention the appropriately placed dancing banana icon.

No surgery for me yet, but hope if I ever have to that I'm as positive about going into it as you seem to be Hope everything goes well!
January 2014 - adopted a mostly Paleo diet
May 2015 - still in remission!

Currently Taking
Humira - 40mg/week
Imuran - 125 mg/day
Calcium magnesium citrate
Fermented cod liver oil/butter blend
Culturelle probiotics
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Biotin
Allegra
02-26-2010, 12:14 AM   #15
mharvey90

Thanks everyone!! Yeah my surgeon told me at least 3-4 days in the hospital afterwords (at least until I pass some good gas and at least one good BM) and he told me that I'll definitely be sore for a few good weeks, but within 8 weeks I'll be fully recovered back to normal if all goes well!! So looking forward to normal-ness again!
02-26-2010, 12:18 AM   #16
Jennjenn

I hope everything goes well for you
02-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #17
krahsdnal

I had mine 1 mos ago, best thing I ever did. Good luck!

-------------------
Diagnosed 1986
Have been on most of the medications, was on Remicade for the last 4 years on a maintenance dose of Pentasa now
Small Bowel resection Jan 2010

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1209403734
02-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #18
Sue-2009

Kev--A breeze?! Sue
02-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #19
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

I hope the next 3 months goes smoothly for you. It's great that you can have it at a time not to disrupt your classes. I hope you feel as good as you did after your last surgery for at least twice as long.
02-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #20
mharvey90

thanks everybody this had made me feel a bit better about surgery!

has anybody had a successful resection done laproscopically? my surgeon said that is what he will try first, but quite often with crohn's patients it's difficult because everythings all "sticky and inflamed" so he usually ends up having to do it by hand assist. i'm just hoping for the smallest possible scar =/
02-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #21
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Yes! My first one was done 18 years ago and I had 7 great years, and my recovery was very quick, I was younger then and bounced back fast. Just relax and take it slow after. Some people have epidurals when they first wake up, I didnt but some say it is great to be frozen instead of drugs. Hugs!
02-27-2010, 08:36 AM   #22
Cookie

Good luck, girl. Hope this does it for you.
02-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #23
OnlytheStronghaveCrohn's

Good Luck! I'm proud of my "battle scar"!
02-27-2010, 12:38 PM   #24
mharvey90

Erazer said:

This is an aside.....but when I went in for my scheduled cesaerian preggers with my son....I asked the doc to cut into the current scar......because I did not want to look like a devil worshipper with an anti-christ symbol when nude.....EW
haha! that's funny!
03-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #25
alexandros8

Hello! I am actually in the hospital right now recovering from a lathroscopic ileocolectomy. So far, so good. The doctor told me 3-6 days in, and I'm on day 5 and expected to go home tomorrow.

He was worried that it might have to go towards hand-assist because my crohn's was pretty flared- but it ended up all lathroscopic.

Don't be nervous about the surgery- its a breeze. They will take care of you all the way through. Don't be afraid to ask for anything, thats what the staff is there for. Just make sure to walk around a bunch in recovery, that helps everything move along!

I wish the best for you! Let me know if you have any questions!

Diagnosed with Crohn's in 2001.
Ileocolectomy in February 2010.
03-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #26
stella_luna

I just had an ileocecectomy on Feb. 4, removing about 6 inches owing to a stricture, and overall I feel wonderful. It was all laparoscopic. I have a tiny 2-inch scar right over my belly button, which already is hard to see, even only 4 weeks out. My bikini days are *not* over!

It was not so bad. It did hurt a LOT to sit up, walk, laugh, cough, yawn for the first 3 or 4 days. Then it became tolerable. By a week or so after I had no pain at all.

I was in the hospital 6 days because it took my bowels a looooong time to wake up. When I left the hospital, I still had not had a BM or eaten any food (just 2 clear liquid meals). But I had good sounds and gas, so they sent me home, and after 1 or 2 meals at home I was able to have a BM.

I hope all goes well and you feel much better after your surgery!
03-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #27
Sue-2009

MHarvey...why do you have to wait until May? I don't understand...S
03-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #28
mharvey90

thanks guys
i think it will probably end up taking me more time than the surgeon said i would be in the hospital, because stella, like you said, it also takes my bowels a longer time to move than most.
when I go for an upper GI/small bowel series, I usually end up being there for 4 hours, and that is with constant walking around to try to get the barium to move through. But hopefully THAT is because of my stricture, and since it will be gone after surgery, my bowels will move much better?
03-03-2010, 11:14 AM   #29
mharvey90

I have to wait until May because I am in college right now. I'm halfway through spring semester of sophomore year, taking some of the most difficult undergrad courses available, as a Biomedical sciences major. And I'm maintaining a ~3.6gpa, and I refuse to have to drop the semester on medical leave. I've considered it a lot, seeing as how terrible I feel, but disability services is working with me a lot, and I feel that it is very important for me to get through this semester. It would just be too difficult to go on medical leave, and then try to get back into the swing of things in August.
03-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #30
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

I fully understand M... my daughter is in University and studying to be in the medical field , a lot of work and perserverence.... I couldn't blame you not to wait til May. I hope you can keep stable and get the surgery you need. It should work out perfect for you. Hang in a little longer, be strong ok. Sending healing hugs to ya!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Surgery scheduled...nervous!