• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Saw my GI this week !

:) Hi , I saw my GI. this week. My fistula is still draining and very irritating. He wants me to wait a little while longer, before possibly switching me to Humira.
I have been taking 150 mg Imuran since Dec.17. He said the Imuran can take upwards of 12 weeks to reach the full effectivness. He thinks I will be needing the Humira though.
I am nervous about the thoughs of starting it, but excited to think maybe it will make me normal again? (if you can ever be normal, after being diagnosed with crohns). May 6th is my next appointment with him.
Has anyone else had fistulas that healed while taking just Imuran?

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hi Can-
Do you use a barrier cream for the irritation? Calmoseptine is an awesome cream like no other, and it helped with my fistula irritation. You can use the search feature on here to find more info on it.
I was VERY nervous about starting Humira, but it put me into remission for a little while. There is a 'Humira Club' thread on here, and you can read about everyone's experiences with it.
Hope you get some relief.
MBH

Last edited:
Thanks MBH, I do think I need to get some of the calmoseptine. Can I get it at Walmart in the US ? I thought I read on here you can. I get home from work and can`t wait to have a sitz bath every night.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
You can ask at the pharmacy counter for them to order Calmoseptine if they don't keep it on the shelves. It only takes about 24 hours for a delvery. It is also on Amazon....Good luck with the fistula.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
can1991:

Calmoseptine is available from virtually any Canadian pharmacy chain. It's behind the counter (because its sheer awesomeness would otherwise overwhelm store security), so you have to ask for it by name. If it's not in stock, it's promptly ordered upon request.

Hi Can,

Fistulas are really hard to heal, even with meds. From what I have heard/read, Humira and Remicade are better options for fistulas than Imuran. I did not have any success with Imuran for my fistula. I tried Remicade as well, but it did not work either. However, i wonder if we gave it enough time...I only had four injections. Ultimately I opted for surgery, but after two surgeries, although I have had some improvement, I am still dealing with the situation. They can be pesky little buggers! Good luck!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Have they mentioned surgery Can?
I know that many fistulas can't be helped by surgery, but mine was supossed to have drain tubes put in, and then they ended up removing the whole thing. It did end up coming back (same spot, or a new one in a similar spot. GI isn't sure), but the Remicade has kept it quiet.
It was not a fun recovery, but I really had no choice left, I was in so much pain every day.
Mine was perianal. Where is your fistula?

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Can, never had a fistula, although there was a suspicion... The Calmoseptine is in all Shoppers drugmart. You have to ask for it. A little goes alot way, and panty liners are highly recommended! When MBH found this... she won gold, awesome stuff!

Thanks everyone, I tried to get some Calmoseptine today at my Shoppers and the pharmacist had not even heard of it. She even looked it up in the computer. I will try the Walmart in Houlton, Maine.
My GI warned me that healing the fistula is a big order.
My Butt Hurts-I have an anal fistula :( It appeared last November. I think surgery would be a last resort for me! I have never had any type of surgery. I read somewhere that you have an 80% chance of needing it at some point in time with a crohns diagnosis. UGGGG!!!
Jettalady- I should be buying panty liners in bulk!!!! I never leave home without some in my back pockets.