Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cured Crohn with fasting

09-12-2012, 02:43 AM   #31
NotYetFitEnuf

Quick update. I have lost 5-6 pounds and the sigmoidoscopy I had yesterday found no sign of active crohns. It all looked pretty healthy from where I was but they took a few biopsies of white nodules just to check. No sign of any carcinoid tumour recurrence so fingers crossed they got it last time. Will continue for another 3 weeks and see how it goes. As the nurse said if it works for you do it.
09-12-2012, 03:50 AM   #32
KWalker

I stopped all medicine back in 2010 and have been med free since. I was doing amazing, I was back to normal with no symptoms whatsoever. Now fast forward to the present time and I'm ready to go back on medicine because I'm having many problems with perianal abscesses leading me to my third surgery in a year on Monday. I thought crohns could be cured without medicine but I was wrong. I don't feel like I've failed because I enjoyed being med free for the time I did but in my eyes 7 months is way too short of time to determine anything. It will more than likely show symptoms eventually and crohns is an incurable disease so you still have it brewing inside you waiting for the perfect time to come out. Enjoy it while you can but just be prepared for the potential consequences

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium
09-12-2012, 04:10 AM   #33
kiny

oh ffs
09-12-2012, 04:15 AM   #34
karj

My Support Groups:
Quick update. I have lost 5-6 pounds and the sigmoidoscopy I had yesterday found no sign of active crohns. It all looked pretty healthy from where I was but they took a few biopsies of white nodules just to check. No sign of any carcinoid tumour recurrence so fingers crossed they got it last time. Will continue for another 3 weeks and see how it goes. As the nurse said if it works for you do it.
Hi I just read that you lost 5/6 pounds with intermittant fasting but was that over the 3 weeks? Have you heard of the motivation diet, I know 2 people who are on it and to be honest they lost 5/6 pounds in one week. It is a very healthy diet because it encourages you to eat little and often. I would suggest looking into this. It is a high protein diet.
09-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #35
NotYetFitEnuf

Studies have shown that people who lose a lot of weight quickly put it back on quickly. That's why I am happy trying the IF approach. I have been symptom free for large periods over the years but even with the IF approach I am still taking my sulfasalazine and azathioprine to try to keep it in remission. I look forward to someone finding a cure and there are some interesting stem cell approaches being taken in Belgium and other places. I've had Crohn's for 25 years with some major flares but have been lucky to avoid surgery and had a carcinoid tumour spotted early and removed. Keep well.
09-12-2012, 04:36 AM   #36
NotYetFitEnuf

Yes it was over 3 weeks.
09-12-2012, 04:39 AM   #37
KWalker

oh ffs
Is that directed towards my post?
09-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #38
kiny

Is that directed towards my post?
at OP, hope you find something that works for you btw
09-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #39
KWalker

Ah. And thank you!
09-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #40
Moe.

Lmao @ kiny
09-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #41
EthanPSU

My Support Groups:
Fasting, no thanks. I felt absolutely miserable after 1 day of fasting before a colonoscopy. I feel like I'd die if it was longer then 3 days
09-13-2012, 01:46 AM   #42
karj

My Support Groups:
Fasting, no thanks. I felt absolutely miserable after 1 day of fasting before a colonoscopy. I feel like I'd die if it was longer then 3 days
yep me too!!
09-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #43
NotYetFitEnuf

Intermittent fasting can be done 2 days out of 7 so I do Mondays and Thursdays fast (600 calories) eat normally the rest of the time.

Claims of a cure seem a bit far fetched to me ;-)
09-15-2012, 03:54 AM   #44
Moe.

Just stating the obvious
read this on the net from a forum
20 years in remission?
I don't know what to think. But Potentially fasting could work.
Everyone has their right to be skeptical, but just remember were all here
to give each other support.
I'm on RSO, but am willing to try this.. probably give it a thought over the next two weeks.

http://naturalhygienenetwork.yuku.co...7#.UFQ9blHtx8E
11-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #45
NotYetFitEnuf

An update for anyone interested. It is now 3 months since I started intermittent fasting. After initial weight loss of 5/6 pounds in 3 weeks I have lost a further 2/4 pounds but my weight varies during the week. Last week I was away in hotels with colleagues and I put on 3 pounds (with no fasting) so here I am again feeling hungry with only 600 calories to look forward to today.
Crohn's is absolutely fine. I have a consultant appointment coming up so it will be interesting to see what he has to say on the result of my colonoscopy.

Intermittent Fasting may not be for everyone but it does work for me. Having turned 50 this year I now weigh 12st 10lb (6ft 1in) which is 1 stone less than I was at 42 so I feel pretty good. Would really like to shift the last 3 lbs but that would mean no cakes/sweets/wine/curry which I might try for a couple of weeks but Xmas is coming ;-)

To summarise I have had Crohns for 26 years (dropped to 9st before it was diagnosed-took 6 months), had lots of periods of remission and flares but since going on Azathioprine a few years back I haven't needed any steroids, sulfasalazine is my other daily med. Every colonoscopy/sigmoidoscopy I have had has shown active crohns apart from the last one.

Intermittent Fasting has helped me lose weight (funny that when you burn more calories than you eat). Intermittent Fasting may also have helped my Crohn's but I am still taking my meds and will continue to do so to keep it in remission.

I like feeling that I am more in control of my weight than I previously was and if there are positive health benefits that is a bonus.

I think the important thing is to keep trying to find something that works for you, keep taking the medicine and keep hoping that one day there will be a cure so we won't need the medicine.
06-14-2013, 04:34 AM   #46
NotYetFitEnuf

So here I am again. I am still on the intermittent fasting or 5:2 diet. Xmas I put weight on, and have spent 6 months getting it back off. Now 12st 6lbs and probably only 2lbs off my personal target. Due also to lots of exercise with my young Golden Retriever.
My Crohns is under control (touch wood). I know I have been in remission a while but this feels different. I had a colonoscopy in November and had a Flexible Sigmoidoscopy in May 2013. November found no sign of active crohns colitis. In May there were no signs at all. I have the pictures and watched the TV - all I saw was health colon which was great.

I am still taking my Sulfasalazine and Azathioprine, daily, but feel great that I have found something that has worked for me. I know this disease can lull you into a false sense of security but who knows? The human body is incredibly complex and I have always felt the doctors have only read one more page of the manual than we have.

Here's to the next 6 months and, I hope, a quiet colon for all.
06-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #47
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Why am I such an advocate of fasting? I believe that evolution trained our bodies sufficiently to survive a couple of weeks without any food. Bodies took advantage of food rest and have learned to clean from inner dirtiness. Animals do it routinely, why should not us? Body probably knows what is bad and gets rid of it during fasting. It was demonstrated by Bragg that mercury or DDT are expelled from body at least an order of magnitude faster during fasting. In this sense I'm convinced that Crohn is just a consequence of inner dirtiness. Dirtiness can be gluten, some proteins, anything your body does not like. How can one pill fix this dirtiness?
Have you ever seen a healthy dog refuse food? Most will eat 'til they're sick.If a horse gets into a feed store, it will eat until it gets colic, its gut twists and it dies. Any horse expert will tell you that certain breeds of pony have to have their grazing restricted, as they are prone to eating so much grass they get laminitis. I never understand why some people believe nature is perfect and animals possess some secret instinct regarding food that contemporary humans lack.

I always struggle to eat enough and gain weight, but one of my worries about having a feeding tube is that it will make me too full to enjoy any real food! I definitely have a physiological addiction to eating.

NotYetFitEnuf: congratulations on your weight loss. I think the less extreme fasting that you're doing sounds a lot more sensible than that described in the OP, if it's working for you.
06-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #48
helena101

My Support Groups:
Smilauer, I hope your remission lasts and lasts... Please keep us posted. I do think its possible for fasting to help, and its been used in healing for centuries. That said, I do agree with some of the other posters here that it may be too much of a shock to the system, and I would be afraid to try it myself in an already weakened, underweight state. But it's wonderful that it's working for you, thanks for sharing.
06-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #49
Niks
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
What I meant and did by fasting is nearly zero-calorie diet (only up to 0.5 l/day of vegetable juice is allowed by Breuss diet, or only herb teas, or distilled water). No solid food can be taken.
How on Earth could anyone survive this??? zero calories! Complete rubbish.

4. Osteopenia bordering on osteoporosis

Peristeen Irrigation every other day.
Citramag/Picolax

Waiting for bowel stimulator!
06-15-2013, 06:45 PM   #50
Jennifer
Adminstrator

There is no cure for Crohn's disease. Fasting/Bowel rest with proper nutrition (TPN and EN for example) has shown to improve people's condition (under a doctor's care). I was forced to fast for two months in the hospital while receiving TPN (as we all need nutrition in order to live). I was not cured of Crohn's. Any kind of fasting, bowel rest or liquid diet should be reported to your doctor so you can be properly monitored.

"The results of this study provide substantial evidence that bowel rest is not necessary to achieve remission in patients with active Crohn's disease receiving nutrition support." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18595864

"Nutrition and Crohn's disease (CD) are intertwined because of the central role of nutrition in the care of patients with CD, specifically the theories regarding a dietary contribution to pathogenesis and formal studies investigating the primary role of nutrition as therapy for CD. Perhaps one of the most important studies evaluating the role of nutrition therapy and bowel rest in the management of CD was performed by Greenberg and colleagues in 1988. This pivotal study attempted to define the role of bowel rest as an independent variable in the management of hospitalized patients with active CD unresponsive to the traditional medical therapy that was available at the time. As the first randomized controlled trial evaluating nutrition intervention in CD, it showed that bowel rest was not a major factor in achieving remission during nutrition support and did not affect outcome during 1-year follow-up. Although these discouraging findings would be subsequently replicated, the role of enteral and parenteral nutrition therapy would evolve during the following years as a result of insight into CD pathogenesis, the emergence of more effective medical therapies, and improved understanding of the role of nutrition in the care of patients with CD." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18595863

I'm locking this thread.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
Closed Thread

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cured Crohn with fasting