• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fungal Nail Infection

Has anybody suffered from fungal nail infection? I have had one in my toenail for years , and the GP says it's due to the longterm use of immuno-suppressants and antibiotics.

He prescribed for me a medicine called Sporanox. I was reading about side effects and some of them were liver disease and heart disease! Well, I already had liver toxicity from Imuran, so I'm afraid to have this medicine.

Has anyone had this and cured it with medicine or natural treatments? Thanks

I had toenail fungus once and was able to clear it up using tea tree oil. It took several weeks of applying the oil in the morning after my shower and at night before bed, but it cleared up nicely and it is all natural! You can usually find it at the grocery store or a place like GNC.

Good luck!

I had it about 15 years ago. I had some stuff, a bit like nail varnish which I painted onto the nails as they grew out... it took longer and was a bit troublesome to do, but was better than taking more drugs internally.
I'd be tempted to try RainyDay's suggestion first and see how it goes.

Hi Mazen,

I haven't had problems with fungal nail infections, but I used to get a ringworm rash on my hands/forearms - most likely from long-term use of 6mp. Taking an over-the-counter garlic supplement helped get rid of it. Garlic interfers with some meds (I can't take it anymore because it interfers with the blood thinner I take) so check with your doctor if you want to try it. The tea tree oil sounds like a great idea - if it's ok for you to take garlic I wonder if that would speed up the process?

Good luck!

Try soaking your feet in hot water. Take a clove of garlic sliced up like an almond, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, put in plastic wash tub of hot water. Soak your feet for as long as possible (until water is cold). Do this at least once a week (better if you do it 3-4 times a week) Make the water as hot as you can stand.