• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Dramatic entry into world of Crohn's

Hi everybody :). So here's my story . . . In a nutshell, I was just diagnosed with Crohn's in October 2009, after suffering 3 bowel obstructions in the previous year, which after many unpleasant tests were found to be due to a very narrow stricture in the terminal ileum. I apparently have Crohn's disease even though I never had any symptoms except a 20-pound weight loss in 2006 (at that time, I had a CT scan which showed inflammation at the terminal ileum, but colonoscopy was perfectly normal).

On February 4, I had a laparoscopic ileocecectomy, which went very well, and I have been healing nicely. I started Imuran and Flagyl as soon as I got home and have been doing fine on those.

Last week, I had my postsurgery follow-up visit, where the surgeon told me I could now eat anything. So I had tamale pie with beans and corn for dinner that night, after being on a close-to-no-fiber diet since August 2009, and wound up in the hospital with a parital obstruction (the topic of my next post). My GI doctor said I actually CANNOT eat fiber yet, and it was because I'm inflamed at the surgery site, so it's still narrow there, even though the stricture is gone. I hope he's right because I was so hopeful to be fixed, and now I feel really depressed, thinking it will NEVER be over with these obstructions. As I'm sure many of you know they are AWFUL.

On that note . . . pleased to meet you . . . it is nice to know I am not alone. In my real life, no one else my age (40) has these terrible medical issues, so I feel really alone. I used to be a really healthy person.

Astra

hiya Stella
and welcome!
and no, you're not alone now!
there are lots of people here for you, to advise, support and listen
lotsa luv
Joan x

Welcome! Sorry to hear of your 2nd visit to the hospital. This site has been really amazing in helping me realize I'm not alone with this disease. I'm the only one I know who has it in my circle of friends and family, so finding this site was really nice for me. I hope it can really help you too! Good luck continuing your recovery!

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
:welcome: Stella luna...Did you get your screen name from the children's book by chance?...My son loves that story;)
...try not get too depressed. You will find the right balance between what you can and shouldn't have to eat...When I was really inflamed I would obstruct easily, especially when I would over eat....I was on Prednisone and would just gorge my self, only to end up vomiting and quite ill...It is quite daunting to face a chronic illness at such a young age, don't give up!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Stella, welcome! I was also told by my gi the choice of post surgery it flagyl and imuran for 4 months. I have had to resections first one laproscopic and was on Entocort (was new on the market at that time) and had 7 good years.

Fibre is still hard on the bowels, and it does take quite a bit time for it to kick in. I got alot of D after but went on Questran and helped me. Glad you found us, hope you keep us updated!