• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Review Article: Anti-fibrotic Agents for Treatment of Crohn's: Lessons Learned

I've posted a PDF of an article from Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2009;31(2):189-201 to http://www.filefront.com/15725143/Anti-Fibrotic%20Agents%20for%20th...pdf in case anyone is interested in reading it, which I have not done yet. This is the full 14 page article. BTW, http://www.filefront.com/ is a legitimate file hosting site, it's not P2P or any of the other sorts of sharing sites which are sometimes associated with malware, etc., so no need to fear downloading from there. If anyone has any reservations though, feel free to PM me & I'd be happy to email you a copy of the article.

David

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Hey David, can you give a brief description of the findings in the article...That way I can decide if I want to download the info...Thanks

Here's the abstract:

Abstract

Background The current therapies for Crohn's disease (CD) are mainly focused on blockade of inflammation. Fibrosis remains one of the major complications of CD often leading to surgery, affecting patients' quality-of-life.
Aim To summarize the published data regarding the potential anti-fibrotic role of drugs commonly used in CD and the most effective anti-fibrotic drugs used in other diseases evaluating their potential use to treat intestinal fibrosis in CD.
Methods A literature search was performed in the PubMed, Medline, Cochrane and EMBASE databases, considering in vitro, animal and human studies on fibrosis in inflammatory bowel disease and other similar chronic pathologies.
Results Treatment of fibrosis in CD is limited to surgery or endoscopic dilatation, although some of the drugs currently used may have anti-fibrotic activity. In other diseases, anti-fibrotic agents are already used or are in preclinical or clinical trials. ACE inhibitors, Angiotensin Receptor Blockers, and HMG-CoA inhibitors merit further investigation in CD because of their role in preventing fibrosis in cardiovascular and renal diseases.
Conclusions Anti-fibrotic drugs are under evaluation or already used in clinical practice in other chronic inflammatory diseases. In CD, there is a great need for investigation into agents that may prevent, reduce or reverse intestinal fibrosis.
Introduction