• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Methotrexate when Nothing else has worked! tricky question

So im Real thin, All TNF's Seem to fail. Doctors feel Surgery is next in line but PCP thinks its not reasonable because im not obstructing but using the bathroom a lot. She feels surgery isn't the best option.

I've tried every other med.

Has anyone else been in the situation where you FELT nothing would work and methotrexate seemed to help?

I haven't started it yet but I am trying to stay positive. CAN IT be the drug that actually works?

I want to say it will. I have tried everything else. I do have a decent amount of stricture / narrowing but never vomited or obstructed.

Should i go for the MTX?

YESSSSSSSS. It worked very well for me and made my strictures better. I'd say it's at least worth a go! Good luck!

That makes me feel somewhat better thank you. Annoyed that I havent started it yet.

Can it possibly start working Faster than 6 weeks?

kasper87 said:
That makes me feel somewhat better thank you. Annoyed that I havent started it yet.

Can it possibly start working Faster than 6 weeks?
For me, it started working in about 3 weeks.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Kasper, I am starting methotrexate tomorrow, and every week for 16 weeks then they drop the dosage and so on. I was on methotrexate approx 7 years ago, I got nauseated and headaches but I was trying to recover from a resection gone wrong. I was really sick and was on cipro and flagyl at the time so, like you I have had Remi, Humira and Cimzia isnt here. I opted for Prednisone which I hated but I my sides effects were lesser than Methotrexate. I am still pred 35mg weekly taper and starting the metho tomorrow and try again and see if it works, whilst tapering. By the time I finish the taper it should kick in. I remembered before it did help but I couldnt take the headaches anymore.

Going try again, there isn't anything else and I am not narrowed, I have 5 ulcers that wont go away. Antibiotics caused a lot of other illness for me so have to get off them.

Do you know when you start your shots? I am also told to have monthly blood work. I am thinking too, fingers crossed for both of us! :)

kasper87 said:
chelli.. any good thngs? near remission? appetite increase? do you have narrowing or strictures?
I believe that I had some narrowing about a year ago.

Now, I believe, I'm in remission. I'm, for the most part, symptom free from Crohns. BM's are normal and belly pain only if I eat too much Chocolate or Oatmeal. I haven't tried to eat pork yet, but that's coming.

Except for my other health issues, I feel great.