• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Road to Relief?

I've been diagnosed since 2007. It's been an interesting ride. After several months of test and mixes with medication my crohn's became manageable. So for the past two years I haven't had a problem until now. These days instead of chronic diarrhea with no pain I have chronic constipation which is not only causing sever pains in my abdomen but pain when I urinate. Anyone with a blockage have pain when they urinate? So now after a CT scan, Colonoscopy, and a Lower GI exam (ugh the Barium) it has been advised to me that I need to have a resection done. My surgery is this Thursday March 11th and I have so many thoughts going through my mind. I'm terrified and don't know what to expect. The surgeon has told me he needs to cut me open (straight down the tummy) and remove 10 inches off my small intestine and then he's going to put the healthy parts back together. The first week I need to stay in the hospital then supposedly I need to lay in bed at home for another 2-3 weeks. To me this all seems like a long time. Has anyone had a resection? I hear a lot of stories regarding Strictureplasty but not Resection. ....

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi AAchic, welcome to the forum!! I have had two resections, the first being laproscopic and only a 3 inch scar on the left. I am surprised he has to open you up so much for 10 inches, but he is the doctor and he obviously knows exactly where it is. I was given a week of IV antibiotics a week prior and after the surgery. Then on Entocort for a maintence drug. Most now use 6mp or Imuran and flagyl for about 4 months after. If he is giving you the regular surgery it may take longer depending on how fast you heal and the shape you are in and of course the younger you are the quicker you bounce back.

It took me about a full month to recover completely. Even with a laprocopically surgery done. Dont worry, everything will be fine, best to ask if he can do an epidural to be frozen the waist down for pain management.

Glad you found us, lots of people here to give you their experiences. Good luck on your sugery and please keep us updated!!

Hello- I saw your post on my thread for my recent ileocolectomy. Don't be worried about the surgery. As far as surgeries go its relatively straight forward (for the doctor!). They're going to give you something to relax you before you go in the operating room, and you'll be w/o anxiety before you go to sleep. Then you wake up and its all done.

Recovering for me has been pretty good. Every day I feel 1000% better than the last. As I'm sure you read on my thread, everyone is absolutely right about walking around. Walk as soon as you can, and continue to do it every day. It really helps. My first walk in the hospital was 20 feet. Now I'm walking up and down my street w/o issues.

If you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask. You can PM me if you want to!

Good luck with everything!

Alex

Hi AAchic, Welcome, I had Blockage With my first Diagnosed Crohn's, Where the small and large come together.
I now Have active Crohn's and after Bowel Movements my Abdomen gets so Swelled up urinating is I would say, uncomfortable, I believe from the swelling up?
Jetta knows her stuff.
I am not familiar with a epidural?
I can add They do give you Pain Medications While in the Hospital and milder ones to take home. I had left overs.
I live alone so I arranged my house so everything was all close by.
It was nice not to have to climb steps for a week or two.
I wish you well, please keep the updates coming!

Thanks for your responses. What the difference between open surgery and laproscopic surgery? And why would you do one over the other. I'm sure my surgeon talked about this but as soon as he mentioned cutting me up I stopped taking in information.

K

Kasandra

AAchic

I was diagnosed with Crohns in 2003, I went through 2 years of pain and the doctors here in Alberta, Canada couldnt figure out what was going on until my pediatrician thought he would just open me up to find out what was wrong. I had catscans, MRI's ultrasounds, ive had to drink that barium chalky fluid atleast 10 times, and they still couldnt figure me out, so this was the decision they made.

I had 6 inches of my small colon removed, and I produced fistulas (sp?) ( they were described to me as long finger like extensions) which wrapped themselves around my intestine and all the way over to my appendix, which in turn was pulling my appendix against my intestine. Why they couldnt figure out what happend I definatley dont know?!

But after a 15 inch scar going from hip to hip, I spent 2 1/2 months in a hospital. There is going to be pain no doubt about that. But trust me when I say, that there is a feeling of relief. Dont let the 2 weeks scare you or intimidate you! I had an epideral which freezes you in the desired area your doctor will select, and it helps manage the pain.

You are strong and you can do this!!!!
Any more questions, message me!!!

Kasandra

Nyx

I had open surgery last December and it wasn't that bad. They give you good drugs in the hospital! I didn't have an epidural and I didn't find it that bad. I was only on Demerol then Tylenol. My recovery time was about 6 weeks total, but I was out and about after about 3 weeks. I know it's scary, but you can do this! It may just change your life...I know it did mine :)

Kasandra and Sindy Thank you so much for your support. It's a bittersweet feeling to know I'm not the only one out there going through an experience like this. Again thank you for sharing and your support. Keep you posted...four more days...

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
AAchic,

Welcome to the forum! I havent had surgery to date but I just wanted to welcome you and say that even though you will be out of circulation for a little while we will all be thinking of you on Thursday.

Just remember we are here and will happily sit on your shoulder mentally to support you.

((hugs))

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Hello AAchic.....I had a small bowel resection done in 8/2008.....It was a big relief for me, and has improved my quality of life tremendously.....I have an incision from my naval to just above the pubic area. Each one of us recovers at different speeds...I was not flat on back still at 3 weeks post-op. Although I was not 100%, I could function and care for my 3 kids and husband. I felt well to drive myself to my follow-up appointment with the surgeon at about post-op day 14.....Try not worry too much. If you have any specific questions, just ask. I would be happy to share my experiences with you.

Hi AAchic,

I too have had plenty of surgery and would not bother me one bit about having to have more. . . . . honestly the docs know what they are doing so be cool if you can. . . . .this is what they have trained and studied for for nearly what, ten years or more. . . . . . .

All you have to do is as much as you can . . . by that i mean after the surgery, when the nurse comes to get ya outa bed do your best to do so and walk a little.

But only when there is a nurse or aide there.

You will fly it, be confident. . . .good health to ya my friend

Bruscar

AAchic said:
What the difference between open surgery and laproscopic surgery? And why would you do one over the other.
Lathroscopic surgery is where the surgeons use small tools with cameras on them to do the procedure w/o cutting you open much. 4 or 5 small (2cm) openings are made to put the tools inside your gut. The entire procedure is done with these small tools. At the end of the procedure one of the openings (mine was around the belly button) is made larger, to about 3 inches, in order to remove the stuff that was cut out. This type of procedure generally has a quicker recovery as it cuts less skin and muscle.

Open abdomen is done when the lathroscopic tools cannot reach the affected areas. You have a larger cut made so that the surgeons can use their hands to assist in the procedure.

At the hospital. A little worried but excited to put an end to pain. Will update everybody when I get out of surgery. Thank you everybody for your concern and support. It's really nice having people to talk to who truly understand :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
AAchic said:
At the hospital. A little worried but excited to put an end to pain. Will update everybody when I get out of surgery. Thank you everybody for your concern and support. It's really nice having people to talk to who truly understand :)

Good stuff! Just relax, everything will be just fine. Did your surgeon mention if it was laproscopic or not? I have had 2 resections and my first was really great, it was nice to have no pain for years at that time. When do you go in for the surgery? :)

Astra

Hi AAchic
sorry I've missed this thread
want to give you a big welcome to the forum and sending good luck wishes for today
Lotsa love
Joan xx

Good luck and best wishes on recovery!

Don't stress about how quick you are recovering compared to other's you heard about. It's your body and it will tell you the pace it want's to recover at!

You have probably had your surgery and in recovery by now. Sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I'm newly diagnosed so I don't have advice, but I am praying for you and hope you recover quickly.

As a nursing student... the only advice I can give is to ambulate early on (walk to the door, then walk the halls... just WALK). Also, stay ahead of the pain. If you have a PCA pump, don't be afraid to use it. If the nurse has to give you your med... make sure you let them know BEFORE the pain becomes too bad. Sometimes we get pretty busy and it takes us some time to grab the med and get it to you.

Good luck and best wishes!!!
Psi

Hi AAchic,
I hope your surgery went well, and you recover quickly. I don't know how it is in Virginia, but in Ontario, I know if you are given a morphine pump, where you push the button when you need the meds instead of waiting for the nurse, be sure to use it. If they see that you are not using the pump, they will take it away and give it to someone else - then if you do end up needing it, you'll be SOL.

Good health, best of luck, and quick recovery. =)

Surgery went well. Now recovering with the from an amazing husband, an awesome dad, and a great team of nurses. Already got out of bed today but will actually walk later tonight. Thank you for all of your recomendations and concerns.

Thanks for the update!
The Shower was Down the hall by the Nurses station.
Was my first goal after a few days of walking. It was Great!
Wishing you the best....

on my third day and NO GAS!!! I'm walking around a bit up and down the hall but can't pass gas. Any suggestions so I can eat?

I had the same problem! Try lying on your right side. Or check out my thread again Jettylady has some other "moves" :) she's come up with that might work. Don't worry, it will come. Keep walking around as much as you can- that def. helps too.

I'm glad it went well. Keep it up!

I'm glad you are done and doing well! Good luck with the tooting friend! I might be going through all of this soon (hopefully).

Hey everybody!!! So today is my 6th post op and is definitely the best so far. Got the tube out of my nose last night that was giving my stomach and intestines a rest. Today I am walking faster and eating broth, but the highlight is I tooted and had a bm!!!!! Never in my right mind would I think I would be so proud of such a moment. Now I'm ready for Ensure tomorrow. Suppose to go home Thursday so that too is something to look forward to. Hope all is well with everything. Thank you for your thoughts.

Astra

Well done AAchic
Excellent news
good luck tomorrow, hope they let you home, nothing like your own bed for lots of R & R
xxx

Last edited:
Good news! I know EXACTLY how you feel about being proud of it! Now you know your system is "awake" again. The recovery should be easier from here on out! Being back home is wonderful, you'll sleep so well.

Hi AAchic,
It is great to hear your recovery is going well. Crohn's can definitely make you appreciate the little things in life! LOL

Good health and best of luck.

Hi AAchic!!! So sorry, I did not catch prior to surgery, because I would have said you would be just fine!!! I too was cut from belly button down and was given epidural. Each day will feel sooo much better and hopefully will leave you Crohn's free for years to come!! Good Luck!!