• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Relieved im not alone!!

relieved im not alone!!

hello, my name is kelly and im 27 years old and from somerset england! i have never met or spoken to any one else with crohns disease before and was very glad when i came accross this site to find stories similar to my own!
i was diagnosed in march 2007 and seem to have gone from bad to worse i have taken an aray of drugs including pentassa, azathiaprin, humira, budnisaside,prednisalone, metronidazol and even tried the elemental diet all with varrying degrees of success! i am currently taking azathiaprin and prednisalone, and my consultant has just refered me to see a surgeon, who i meet for the first time on the 22nd march, the crohns affects my terminal illium and there is a little in my colon! i would very much like to hear any bodys stories of surgery and recovery if anybody wouldnt mnd sharing there experiences with me, i am so scared at the thought of a operation but i am also sick and fed up of feeling poorly and just want my life back! i would also like to know if anyone sufffers from lower back pain.
i would be very greatful for any replies. xxx

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Kelly and welcome!

I'm 27 as well but live in California. I had my surgery back in 1999. The disease was located in the same spot as yours. I had 8 inches removed via partial laparoscopic which means that they cut me open as well as using small cameras. Before my surgery, my doctor told me that many people can stay in remission for up to 10 years and maybe more. I'm now in the "maybe more" catergory. I think we're all scared at first but here I am and I'm feeling pretty good. I would share more about my experience but mine was out of the norm because I had complications, if you want to know what happened, I can send it to you via PM or post it again here if you like. It's a bit of a read though.

Yes, I think most of us experience back pain. When you have abdominal pain or discomfort, it can radiate to your back and vice verse. I saw a chiropractor when I was younger. They taught me different stretching techniques that helped with the pain.

Astra

Hi Kelly
and welcome

Glad you have found this site, you're not alone now, there's lots of friendly people here who will be able to answer lots of your questions.
I haven't actually had any surgery yet, so sorry can't help you there, but there are plenty on here who have
good luck with your consultation Kelly and try not to worry
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

thanks guys, im so glad i found this site, its already been so helpfull and informative looking through previous posts!xxx

C

coyle1983

kelly83 said:
hello, my name is kelly and im 27 years old and from somerset england! i have never met or spoken to any one else with crohns disease before and was very glad when i came accross this site to find stories similar to my own!
i was diagnosed in march 2007 and seem to have gone from bad to worse i have taken an aray of drugs including pentassa, azathiaprin, humira, budnisaside,prednisalone, metronidazol and even tried the elemental diet all with varrying degrees of success! i am currently taking azathiaprin and prednisalone, and my consultant has just refered me to see a surgeon, who i meet for the first time on the 22nd march, the crohns affects my terminal illium and there is a little in my colon! i would very much like to hear any bodys stories of surgery and recovery if anybody wouldnt mnd sharing there experiences with me, i am so scared at the thought of a operation but i am also sick and fed up of feeling poorly and just want my life back! i would also like to know if anyone sufffers from lower back pain.
i would be very greatful for any replies. xxx
hi my names andy from liverpool england i have been diagnosed with crohns for i little under a year now i have had many problems and have been on all sorts of drugs, i have been admitted into hospital over christmas 2009 with serious stomach and lower back pain which is a horrible pain to have

Welcome Kelly and Coyle. You are no longer alone. You have just inherited the best family of support members you could find. We will be here for you when ever you need to ask questions or vent.

Kelly, good luck with the surgeon and I hope things look up soon.

Nyx

Welcome Kelly and Andy...you've come to the right place for support, to vent, for information, and as mentioned...to not feel alone. Good luck to you both :)

Astra

Hi Andy
and welcome fellow Scouser

You'll be ok with us now, any questions, just shoot! Tell us a bit more and what meds you're on too
and we can have a laugh too, which helps a lot
besta luck
Joan xx

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
Welcome to you both!

Kelly I truly hope your surgical appointment goes well honey, will be thinking of you.

Andy, how are you doing now? Is it my imagination or are you very tired?

Good to see you both found us. Welcome again!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Kelly..welcome! I have had a resection and yes I was worried but when you are young you really bounce back fairly quick and the recovery is minimal. Ask your surgeon what kind of surgery are they doing. Laproscopic has the less invasive pain and recovery time. Also ask if they use an epidural (freezing from the waist down). Both of these questions could help you. If you are narrowed, reversal of that isnt likely to change, could be a stricture, scar tissue, and the ulcerations. I have been on all the drugs you are on too, and surgery could be the answer for your situation. It is hard not to anticipate but alot of people here can help you through your scary thoughts.

You have to look after yourself before, during and after. The better you do , the longer you have to be in "remission" post surgery. Let us know what your surgeon says. Glad you are here, ask away or vent away, we are here!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
coyle1983 said:
hi my names andy from liverpool england i have been diagnosed with crohns for i little under a year now i have had many problems and have been on all sorts of drugs, i have been admitted into hospital over christmas 2009 with serious stomach and lower back pain which is a horrible pain to have

Welcome Andy! Sorry you are in pain and diagnosed with Crohns. I too had lower excruiating pain for a number of months, a few times couldnt even get out of bed. Still really didnt know why, could be combo of the drugs, loose stomach muscles and kidney stones building up. Because we have a tendency to avoid stomach exercise, our stomach muscles get loose and cause terrible back pain. I would see a back doctor or chiropractor to help your symptoms. Hope you get relief soon.

Hi Kelly!

Welcome! I am in week 2 of recovering from a similar surgery you are talking about. It really wasn't too bad at all. I stayed in the hospital for 6 days. Home now and walking around more and more everyday. I'm also starting to get my appetite back. I've got a thread in the "my story" section which has a ton of help others from this site gave me throughout the ordeal.

Just relax about it for now- the surgery is pretty straight forward. Any questions, just ask!