• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm new to this site

Published On: 03-05-2010 07:45 PM
Blog Category: No Category
Blog Tags: im new to this site

Hi Everyone!

I've never blogged before so forgive any awkwardness. My name is Sharon and I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in 1980 when I was 20 years old. I've got alot of experience with the disease and the many "adventures" it's taken me on. I was on and off Prednisone for years. Mostly for 2 or 3 months at a time. Each time I gained about 30 pounds. The longest I ever had to take the drug was 2 years!!! OH MY GOD THAT SUCKED! I had just met my future husband and soon after dealing with the stress of his ex-wife I fell out of remission and could not seem to get the disease under control. I gained 60 pounds right off the bat. My face and back broke out in horrible acne and I was always sweating. I asked him how he could stand to look at me. My amazing husband's response was, "You are so beautiful. You'll only be more beautiful when you get off this drug." We have been together since 1992.

The longest I was ever in remission was 2 years. My GI doctor had me on Imuran and Dipentum. The drag about Imuran is that one of the possible side effects is lymph cancer. But I was able to avoid that and stay in remission until I found out I was losing my job of 10 years. UC symptoms began showing up within one week. Once the disease came back I couldn't seem to go into remission again. It was 2003. I had now had UC for 23 years. They say that after 10 years your risk of colon cancer goes up 2% each year. That made my risk 26% higher than the average person. Coupled with the fact that cancer runs very high in my family and that my dad had just been diagnosed with colorectal cancer the year before I knew it was time to have J-pouch surgery. It was either do it now or do it when I had to have chemo and radiation. A J-pouch is sort of like a cut and paste. They cut out my colon and brought down my small intestine and fashioned a sort of new colon (as close as you could come to a new colon, anyway) out of it, in the shape of a J. This prevents the need for an ostomy or outer bag (all of this explanation is to the best of my knowledge, however, I am not an expert for anyone else, just my own experience.) The J-pouch worked out very well for 6 years. I had to get used to not having the same absorption that I would if I had my colon. That meant going to the bathroom more frequently depending upon what I ate. If I wanted to eat something that I knew was going to keep me active (in the bathroom) then I would just plan to be home that evening. I called it TAKING THE HIT. I knew what I was going to be in for but sometimes you just have to have the food you want and are willing to suffer the consequences.

After 6 years, however, I began to suffer from horrendous belly aches. This started in December 2008. Out of nowhere I would suddenly be doubled over in agony. At first these attacks happened maybe once every 10 days or so. Then they became increasingly more frequent. It felt as though once the food I ate left my stomach it would just stop. This was causing me so much pain because I was unable to go to the bathroom. I saw so many different doctors who kept telling me that there wasn't anything wrong with me and that I was just going to have to go home and live with it. I tried to explain that I couldn't eat and that if I just went home and "lived with it" I would eventually die of starvation. Many doctors giggled because at the time I weighed almost 200 pounds. I guess it's hard to imagine a 5'7" woman who weighed 200 pounds starving to death. Test after test seem to reveal nothing. Finally I saw the surgeon who performed my J-pouch surgery. He looked at the test results and concluded that I had a blockage or several blockages in my small intestine known as adhesions. He performed surgery in April 2009. He was astounded at what he found. He told me that my intestines looked like a "frozen block of cement." I had so many adhesions it was almost impossible for the food to get through me. The surgery was 4 hours long and the doctor stopped at the J-pouch for fear of damaging it and giving me a permanent ostomy. Unfortunately the surgery was unsuccessful and the blockages continued. Since I was unable to eat I was put on TPN which is a liquid form of nutrition that goes into you through an I.V. at night. This was the only way I could get enough calories to survive. My blood would get tested every week because apparently TPN can be very hard on your liver. One day I got a phone call from a doctor who said I had to go to the hospital immediately because my hemoglobin (red blood cell count) was 4 when it should be a minimum of 12.

At the hospital they performed a colonoscopy. Something I'm very used to. Soon into my hospital stay I developed horrendous diarrhea. It wouldn't stop. I was told I had contracted CDIF during the colonoscopy. This is a horrible bacterial infection that you get from a hospital or doctor's office. Then something happened that I didn't even know was physically possible. I began having diarrhea out of my vagina!!! This is known as a fistula. OH MY GOD! I couldn't believe the horror. Apparently when they did the biopsy during the colonoscopy the CDIF ate through that site and through my vaginal wall thus creating a new route to poop out of, uncontrollably! To add to this nightmare was the fact that I had an internal abscess that the doctors couldn't do anything about until it got big enough to reach the surface of my skin. A few months later it did so a surgery was performed to extract the infection. Of course the site of the abscess was my butt cheek, very close to my anus. As luck would have it I developed another fistula and was now pooping uncontrollably through my butt cheek as well. Because of my malnutrition, I was now down to 120 pounds, I began losing my hair.

Finally, the big decision had to be made. I was scheduled for an ileostomy surgery for January 6, 2010. It was the surgery I had been running from since 1980 but I no longer had any other choice. If I didn't have it I would die. So, here I am, about 2 months later and, I'm living with a bag. It's not easy. It's scary, very scary and sometimes I'm overwhelmed by it. But I'm alive today. I'm eating. I'm learning how to live my life a new way. I've not gone out into the world really except for once and my bag gave out on me. I survived. I had a backup with me. My sister helped me through it. And with loving support of my family and friends I'm getting through it. I look forward to the day that my bag is no longer an issue. I'm holding steady at 125 pounds, a good weight for me. My hair is growing back, slowly, but it's growing back. I rely heavily on my loved ones for support and they've not let me down. For anyone reading this I hope that it helps you to know that you're not alone. When I found this site I know it helped me. God Bless, Sharon

if someone loves you then you must be worth loving. go easy on yourself

Diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 9/1980
J-pouch surgery 5/2003
Ileostomy surgery 1/2010

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
hi sharon welcome to our family, i too have a ileostomy. alot of us on here do as well. my life has improved so much since the surgery. i would recomend it to anyone who needs one. living with your bag will become second nature to you, its still all very new. i promise you there will come a time when you forget you have a bag.

Astra

Hi Sharon
and welcome

You've had quite a ride, but you sound like a very positive woman who will ride this storm no trouble, truly inspirational Sharon.
I had a hystrectomy 8 years ago, and although I didnt contract any infection down there, they did some damage to my bladder, resulting in pooping from my vagina! I don't, to this day know how ! so when I read that you have had this, my heart jumped, I've never known any one else who had this! It was the most frightening, horrendous time of my life! But it got fixed up with an op.
I didnt tell many people, but now I've told everyone on the forum! it's good to share!
welcome again
and we'll see you around the forum
Joan
xx

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
:welcome: Sharon. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm sure your positive attitude will help many more people facing the same issues. It is great to have you here. :)

Hi Sharon,

I don't get on here as often as i would like, what a great story you have.You should be very proud of yourself that you tackled all those problems head on.Good on ya my friend.

As for the bag, well let me tell ya i personally think they are all the fashion world is missing !

Well i would say that now wouldn't i. . . . . . yeah you guessed it i have a permanent ileostomy this time round, but like you say "i am here". . . .

Chin up buddy !!

Bruscar

Nyx

bruscar said:
Hi Sharon,

I don't get on here as often as i would like, what a great story you have.You should be very proud of yourself that you tackled all those problems head on.Good on ya my friend.

As for the bag, well let me tell ya i personally think they are all the fashion world is missing !

Well i would say that now wouldn't i. . . . . . yeah you guessed it i have a permanent ileostomy this time round, but like you say "i am here". . . .

Chin up buddy !!

Bruscar
I have a permanent colostomy...ostomites unite!! lol

Sharon, you're story and attitude of it is amazing. With all you've been through its really refreshing to see you present it in a positive light. I wish you the best as you move forward with your ostomy.

:welcome: Sharon. It is nice to see your positive attitude after all you've been through. We're very lucky to have you here with us.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! ALL OF YOU THAT HAVE REPLIED!!! IT REALLY MEANS SO MUCH!!! One thing that I left out of my story...After finally testing negative for the CDIF/diarrhea infection (still had the vaginal fistula) I was about to be released from the hospital when I suddenly fell to the floor. I WAS UNABLE TO WALK! All I could feel was intense pain but I couldn't command my legs to move. The spinal surgeon ordered some awful and painful test and it turned out I had bone spurs in my spinal cord and needed emergency surgery. I found myself apologizing, to the surgical staff, for the diarrhea. (I actually wore a diaper into surgery!) After they cut out the bone spurs, and sewed up the nick that one of the bone spurs made in my spinal cord, I was told I couldn't move for 36 hours. Since I had asked the doctor not to put in a catheter for my urine, because of fear of infection from the vaginal diarrhea, the nurse wanted me to pee in a bedpan. I'd never done this before and unbeknownst to me when I laid on the bedpan, the only position I was allowed in, the bedpan filled up and dumped onto my back. WHEEEE! So the next time I had to go I thought I would skip the nurse and the bedpan and just gently stand up and pee into my water pitcher. Well, the one thing the doctor neglected to tell me was that after surgery I would still be paralyzed! Since I could feel my legs, but didn't know I couldn't get them to do what I wanted them to, upon standing up my legs just gave out and I fell to the floor. Right after spinal cord surgery I fell to the floor. Then I knew I had to tell the nurse I'd been a bad girl and she'd have to tell the doctor and I'd have to get an MRI. Luckily I didn't damage anything.

Once I was allowed to stand up I had a visit from the physical therapist who was going to help me RELEARN HOW TO WALK! It was the most bizarre time. I had a vaginal fistula and even though the CDIF was gone I still had diarrhea so I'm unable to walk and I'm pooping myself out of a place that could not be more unnatural to poop from. It's been over 9 months and I've just begun to walk upstairs without a cane or railing. Can you imagine the questions I had for God when this was added to my plate? I thought I must have done something so horrible in a past life or something really great must be coming my way. My husband, a Buddhist, said, "Honey, sometimes things just happen." I think he's right. No matter how bad it gets and no matter how senseless it seems I think sometimes things just happen. You get through it. Through loved ones. through friends and through websites like this one. You get through it.

Again, my deepest appreciation for all of you. My life is turning around and I know that a big part of it is you. God bless, Sharon

Welcome Sharon:bigwave: Wow you have been through so much-your blogging is not awkward at all, your strength and spirit is truly inspiring to me. Keep up your fighting spirit and best wishes that each day will be better than the last!

Geez. That's quite a time you had there Sharon. I agree, your blogging isn't awkward. I got all wrapped up in your story. I'm glad to hear you're still on the mend from that spinal surgery as well.

Astra

yes Sharon
your story is amazing and will help a lot of people on here,
so happy you're on the mend now, onwards and upwards!
xxx

Hi Sharon! I'm so glad that you have such a wonderful family. I do, too, and you are so right when you say we can make it through with their love and support.

A belated welcome to the forum Sharon!
I've been reading through you posts with amazement!
You have been through so much yet maintain your strong will
and sense of humor.

Welcome aboard!

Hugs~Nancy

I've not been online for a couple of days and just read all of your responses. WOW!! You guys are so great!! I've been telling everyone about my new support system. I'm so excited to find out I'm not alone.

Here's something new I learned in case this helps anyone who's curious. I was at the dog park the other day and I needed to empty my ileostomy bag. It was dark and quite chilly. There was an outhouse on site (you know I only visit places with some sort of facility) but I did not feel like pulling my pants all the way down in order to empty the bag. So I thought I would just try to do it kind of the same way men go pee-pee. It worked and not a splash on me! HOWEVER!, DON'T TRY THIS WITH A REGULAR TOILET!!! I was at my doctor's office and thought I would give it a try. BIG MISTAKE!!! It splashed everywhere. Poop stains all over as if Jackson Pollock had painted them on. And don't you know I was wearing bright orange sweat pants that already drew enough attention without the new design. So remember, if you're trying to save time by emptying your bag while standing and facing a regular toilet, haste makes waste. LITERALLY!

Sharon J.

Hi Sharon. I'm glad you found the Forum, it is the best support group. I'm glad you have gotten things on the right road, so to speak.

Hi Sharon. Thanks for your stories. Sounds like you've been through a lot. People tend to get many complications through crohn's in many ways that are just extra things to deal with and it's so easy to get down. They are testing times! I hope you are doing better now you have a bag and hope your spine is ok now :)

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
sharon j. said:
I've not been online for a couple of days and just read all of your responses. WOW!! You guys are so great!! I've been telling everyone about my new support system. I'm so excited to find out I'm not alone.

Here's something new I learned in case this helps anyone who's curious. I was at the dog park the other day and I needed to empty my ileostomy bag. It was dark and quite chilly. There was an outhouse on site (you know I only visit places with some sort of facility) but I did not feel like pulling my pants all the way down in order to empty the bag. So I thought I would just try to do it kind of the same way men go pee-pee. It worked and not a splash on me! HOWEVER!, DON'T TRY THIS WITH A REGULAR TOILET!!! I was at my doctor's office and thought I would give it a try. BIG MISTAKE!!! It splashed everywhere. Poop stains all over as if Jackson Pollock had painted them on. And don't you know I was wearing bright orange sweat pants that already drew enough attention without the new design. So remember, if you're trying to save time by emptying your bag while standing and facing a regular toilet, haste makes waste. LITERALLY!

Sharon J.
i have taken note! thanks