• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm new to this site

Published On: 03-05-2010 07:45 PM
Blog Category: No Category
Blog Tags: Im new to this site

Hi Everyone!

I've never blogged before so forgive any awkwardness. My name is Sharon and I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in 1980 when I was 20 years old. I've got alot of experience with the disease and the many "adventures" it's taken me on. I was on and off Prednisone for years. Mostly for 2 or 3 months at a time. Each time I gained about 30 pounds. The longest I ever had to take the drug was 2 years!!! OH MY GOD THAT SUCKED! I had just met my future husband and soon after dealing with the stress of his ex-wife I fell out of remission and could not seem to get the disease under control. I gained 60 pounds right off the bat. My face and back broke out in horrible acne and I was always sweating. I asked him how he could stand to look at me. My amazing husband's response was, "You are so beautiful. You'll only be more beautiful when you get off this drug." We have been together since 1992.

The longest I was ever in remission was 2 years. My GI doctor had me on Imuran and Dipentum. The drag about Imuran is that one of the possible side effects is lymph cancer. But I was able to avoid that and stay in remission until I found out I was losing my job of 10 years. UC symptoms began showing up within one week. Once the disease came back I couldn't seem to go into remission again. It was 2003. I had now had UC for 23 years. They say that after 10 years your risk of colon cancer goes up 2% each year. That made my risk 26% higher than the average person. Coupled with the fact that cancer runs very high in my family and that my dad had just been diagnosed with colorectal cancer the year before I knew it was time to have J-pouch surgery. It was either do it now or do it when I had to have chemo and radiation. A J-pouch is sort of like a cut and paste. They cut out my colon and brought down my small intestine and fashioned a sort of new colon (as close as you could come to a new colon, anyway) out of it, in the shape of a J. This prevents the need for an ostomy or outer bag (all of this explanation is to the best of my knowledge, however, I am not an expert for anyone else, just my own experience.) The J-pouch worked out very well for 6 years. I had to get used to not having the same absorption that I would if I had my colon. That meant going to the bathroom more frequently depending upon what I ate. If I wanted to eat something that I knew was going to keep me active (in the bathroom) then I would just plan to be home that evening. I called it TAKING THE HIT. I knew what I was going to be in for but sometimes you just have to have the food you want and are willing to suffer the consequences.

After 6 years, however, I began to suffer from horrendous belly aches. This started in December 2008. Out of nowhere I would suddenly be doubled over in agony. At first these attacks happened maybe once every 10 days or so. Then they became increasingly more frequent. It felt as though once the food I ate left my stomach it would just stop. This was causing me so much pain because I was unable to go to the bathroom. I saw so many different doctors who kept telling me that there wasn't anything wrong with me and that I was just going to have to go home and live with it. I tried to explain that I couldn't eat and that if I just went home and "lived with it" I would eventually die of starvation. Many doctors giggled because at the time I weighed almost 200 pounds. I guess it's hard to imagine a 5'7" woman who weighed 200 pounds starving to death. Test after test seem to reveal nothing. Finally I saw the surgeon who performed my J-pouch surgery. He looked at the test results and concluded that I had a blockage or several blockages in my small intestine known as adhesions. He performed surgery in April 2009. He was astounded at what he found. He told me that my intestines looked like a "frozen block of cement." I had so many adhesions it was almost impossible for the food to get through me. The surgery was 4 hours long and the doctor stopped at the J-pouch for fear of damaging it and giving me a permanent ostomy. Unfortunately the surgery was unsuccessful and the blockages continued. Since I was unable to eat I was put on TPN which is a liquid form of nutrition that goes into you through an I.V. at night. This was the only way I could get enough calories to survive. My blood would get tested every week because apparently TPN can be very hard on your liver. One day I got a phone call from a doctor who said I had to go to the hospital immediately because my hemoglobin (red blood cell count) was 4 when it should be a minimum of 12.

At the hospital they performed a colonoscopy. Something I'm very used to. Soon into my hospital stay I developed horrendous diarrhea. It wouldn't stop. I was told I had contracted CDIF during the colonoscopy. This is a horrible bacterial infection that you get from a hospital or doctor's office. Then something happened that I didn't even know was physically possible. I began having diarrhea out of my vagina!!! This is known as a fistula. OH MY GOD! I couldn't believe the horror. Apparently when they did the biopsy during the colonoscopy the CDIF ate through that site and through my vaginal wall thus creating a new route to poop out of, uncontrollably! To add to this nightmare was the fact that I had an internal abscess that the doctors couldn't do anything about until it got big enough to reach the surface of my skin. A few months later it did so a surgery was performed to extract the infection. Of course the site of the abscess was my butt cheek, very close to my anus. As luck would have it I developed another fistula and was now pooping uncontrollably through my butt cheek as well. Because of my malnutrition, I was now down to 120 pounds, I began losing my hair.

Finally, the big decision had to be made. I was scheduled for an ileostomy surgery for January 6, 2010. It was the surgery I had been running from since 1980 but I no longer had any other choice. If I didn't have it I would die. So, here I am, about 2 months later and, I'm living with a bag. It's not easy. It's scary, very scary and sometimes I'm overwhelmed by it. But I'm alive today. I'm eating. I'm learning how to live my life a new way. I've not gone out into the world really except for once and my bag gave out on me. I survived. I had a backup with me. My sister helped me through it. And with loving support of my family and friends I'm getting through it. I look forward to the day that my bag is no longer an issue. I'm holding steady at 125 pounds, a good weight for me. My hair is growing back, slowly, but it's growing back. I rely heavily on my loved ones for support and they've not let me down. For anyone reading this I hope that it helps you to know that you're not alone. When I found this site I know it helped me. God Bless, Sharon

if someone loves you then you must be worth loving. go easy on yourself.

Diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis 9/1980
J-pouch surgery 5/2003
Ileostomy surgery 1/2010

Nyx

Wow! What an ordeal. I'm glad that you're getting on with your life and that you have a great support system. I have a bag too and it's the best thing that ever happened to me. It gave me my quality of life back. It does take some time to get used to, and a bit of a wardrobe adjustment, but all in all it's better than living with the constant symptoms of Crohn's.

Good luck to you and welcome to the forum :)

I was talking to my husband about you

Hi and thanks for your reply. I was talking to my husband about you this morning. I said, "There's this woman on the site that sounds so positive and she has a bag. She says it improved the quality of her life tremendously. She's not complaining or crying or thinking her life is over! I'm amazed at her. Maybe having a bag really isn't so bad. I am out of pain and I'm no longer dying so perhaps I should start being a bit more grateful and a bit less terrified and whiny." So thank you for your previous words. They have been part of my healing. Sharon J.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:welcome: to the forum! You sure had your ups and downs through the years and I am glad someone like you has come here to share your story. Many of us have similar issues and some not. Scary times are there more often than not and it is great to have a wonderful support system of family and friends. I have had surgeries too, 2 resections and bouts of flares. I have just recently had a sigmoid of the colon and biopsied for Colitis. I get my results tomorrow.

You are an encouragement to us and you have a good attitude as much as possible as this disease takes a life of it's own. I too have yoyo'd with my weight and on 35pred now but I just lost 26 lbs and I am trying so hard not to gain it back. Drugs do alot to us and this place is a great place to see how others do meds that either we havent tried or not approved yet.

CD and UC runs in my family with an uncle who died at 49 with intestinal cancer. So do I worry...yes sometimes, but my husband constantly reminds me as I always say, everyone is different. Lots of help here, hope you feel at home here!

Nyx

That's the sweetest thing anyone's ever said about me...thankyou! I try to be positive, well, because I have to be. My bag's permanent, so I might as well make the most of it. As soon as I named my stoma I felt better about it...lol Oscar is going to be around for a long time, and once you get past the icky poop factor, he's kinda cute! If you have any other questions, or anything, feel free to contact me :) So glad I could help you!

ameslouise

WOW. What a journey you have been on. How wonderful that you have such a great support system - your husband sounds amazing.

There's a couple of us J-pouchers on here. I think losing the pouch is every j-poucher's greatest fear! But thankfully you are feeling better and that's the most important part. There are some great threads on here about living with a bag. Hopefully you will find some good help there.

Have you been rediagnosed with Crohn's? Just wondering because I thought fistulas were unique to Crohn's.

Good luck to you - I hope dealing with the bag gets easier and easier for you every day.

- Amy

Pooping from 3 places

Hi Amy,
No I haven't been diagnosed with Crohn's. The doctor, at first, was sure it was but I told him my theory which was that the CDIF ate through the biopsy spot from my colonoscopy. After many tests he agreed. When I got the second fistula in my butt cheek that was because the abscess was so close to the danger zone that it got perforated during surgery. (Just lucky I guess) I had to wait for several months to have the ileostomy surgery because the doctor didn't think I was strong enough. So I was pooping uncontrollably the entire time. I wore depends with OB pads and tissues. My butt was huge as a result and trying to fit into pants with all that padding was quite funny. I told my friends that with the regular way of pooping, vaginal pooping from the fistula and pooping out of my butt cheek from the fistula, if you spun me in a circle I'd be a shit sprinkler. I'm so glad that time in my life is over!

Pen,
Good luck with your biopsy results tomorrow. If for any reason something unwelcome shows up remember this. I had a series of biopsies taken during a colonoscopy in 1994 and one of them came back positive. I was terrified! My doctor advised me to have a colonoscopy every month after that for about 6 months. Each time the results were always negative! Once they even took 96 biopsies and all were negative. So try not to fret. And your husband is right. Everyone is different. Just because your family members have been ill doesn't mean you will suffer the same fate. Take good care, Sharon J>

ameslouise

Oh, Sharon! That is funny but so horrible. If I started pooping out my hoo-ha, I think I would have a heart attack!

Hello Sharon and welcome to the forum.

You have been through so much..
let's hope it all 'behind' you now...
it's good to have you on board.

Welcoming hugs~Nancy