Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Update on Jer's Girl

03-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Jer's Girl

Update on Jer's Girl

Well, I’m just two days away from finding out if I am getting surgery or not. I am very excited and nervous and just need to know so that I can prepare for whatever is next.

I did the liquid diet thing for a week, finally had a BM a few days ago (Thursday or Friday I think), but haven’t had one since. Before that, I had gone a full two weeks with no movement.

After hearing all of the testimonials of people who have had resections on here, I really want that to be my answer. Now I am just afraid that my Dr won’t want to do it.

Is there really anything else that can be done if your intestines have narrowed and twisted? Absolutely nothing can get through unless I am on a liquid diet, and even then, not much. I have been having problems with this for months; they just didn’t know what was going on. I really hope to be getting this taken care of soon. Not knowing what is going to happen is killing me!

I know I am posting too much, but really the only thing that makes me feel sane is “talking” to all of you. Thanks again for listening.
03-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #2
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Hi Jer's girl...Don't ever worry about posting too much...You have legitimate concerns so don't ever be afraid to ask for support. This is a support forum.....When I was getting close to surgery, I did consult with a surgeon beforehand. He was unable to review my CT scans and just took one look at me and decided I was not in that urgent of a need for surgery(....I did look great the day I saw him. I was having a great day that particular day...)Make sure you have all your films/ tests with you or sent over....I ended up using the surgeon who followed me on my previous admissions...After the third go round he finally said I needed surgery....If you can have someone come to your appointment who can convince the doctor how sick you have been feeling, make sure to bring them!...Good Luck!
03-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Jer's Girl

Good advice Imisspopcorn! I must admit, I am always taken more seriously the worse I look. I will be sure not to wash my hair that day or put on make-up so that I can look extra pathetic. Crying never hurts either.
03-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
sharon j.

Hello Jer's Girl!

I just went through exactly the same thing! For months I was told by doctors that there was nothing wrong with me and that I would have to go home and just live with it. Finally a doctor took me seriously and was shocked during surgery to find out that my small intestine was covered in adhesions (scar tissue) that were blocking a strangulating my insides. I couldn't eat anything but broth and juice for months. Sometimes I would even get blocked from the juice. For 4 hours the doctor worked to remove the adhesions. He finally stopped when he reached my J-pouch (I had my colon removed in 2003 and the doctor did sort of a cut and paste with my small intestine, fashioning a fake colon, in the shape of a J out of the small intestine.) He didn't want to damage the J-pouch that would result in a permanent ostomy (bag). Unfortunately the problem was not resolved. I tried every medication and diet and nothing worked. Months later I opted to have the ostomy surgery. I had gotten to the point where I had no quality of life anymore. I was terrified to eat and if I wasn't blocked then I was overcoming a blockage which meant profuse vomiting and diarrhea.

The ostomy proved a success!!! The reason the first surgery didn't work is because there were more adhesions. My doctor had to remove 1/3 of my small intestine (I'm an extreme case) and resection the rest. This was done on Jan 6 of this year. Just about a week ago I turned a corner both physically and mentally. I'm doing quite well now. Adjusting to the bag and also the life of a person who is not sick. I was surprised at how much I identified with that.

Good luck with everything!!!!! I wish you well!!!! Sharon
03-09-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
Jer's Girl

Wow Sharon, you sure have been through a lot! Thanks for the information and support. I'm glad that you are doing so well now. Thanks for sharing your experience with me.
03-09-2010, 05:39 AM   #6
Samantha

Hey Jers girl, holding thumbs for you that you get a good response from your doctor when you see him.
2000Mg Pentasa daily, Entocort enemas,30Mg Prednisone, Asacol 2 a day, Asacol enemas, Entocort tablets, Azapress ( made me so sick).
03-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Jer's Girl

Thanks Samantha!

I'm feeling a bit down today. I'm not feeling good and I missed work again. Hopefully I will get some good news tomorrow.
03-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
Jer's Girl

So today is the day I see my Dr. I am really hoping for some good news, esspecially since I woke up this morning with a BOIL ON MY FACE! It is under my eyebrow and pushing on my eyelid. I really feel like someone is having a cosmic joke at my expence lately.
03-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #9
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Ouch, that sounds nasty! I get sty's but those are normally on the eye lids, usually from a hair folicle. Good luck today, let us know about your surgery and that boil. Hugs!
03-10-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
Nyx

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Good luck, good luck, good luck!!!

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

03-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
Jer's Girl

Thanks guys. I sure need hugs today. I am in a ton of pain. I have to wait until 3 to see my Dr and the wait is killing me. I have so much cramping today, but I still can't go. I had that one BM last Thursday and I haven't gone again since. Hopefully I will have some relief soon.
03-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #12
InkyStinky

My Support Groups:
Hi Jer's Girl - I'm so sorry you're in so much pain. Here's a really gentle ((hug))

Ethel: “So, is everything okey-dokey?” Lucy: “No, it’s inky-stinky” ~ I Love Lucy

-Are you looking for a new treatment option for your Crohn's disease? If so, I suggest you look into the ongoing clinical trial by Qu Biologics for their SSI treatment. Click here for more information or to help spread the word.
03-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
Geez girl, you are getting hit hard with this stuff! I hope your appointment goes good...Feel better. (((hugs)))
03-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
Jer's Girl

Thanks for the hugs ladies. I needed that.

I still had a little bit of pain meds left over from my last ER, so I took those and am feeling better. In a way it is good that I am feeling bad today because I feel like I am always taken more seriously if I go into my appointments feeling bad. Looking sickly never hurts either.
03-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #15
Jer's Girl

Well, it's almost time for my appointment. I will try to post tonight and let you all know how it went. I know you are all rooting for me and that will make this all so much easier!
03-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #16
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

We are right beside you! Glad you are keeping us updated!
03-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #17
Jer's Girl

So I am going to see a surgeon for a consultation. It looks like I might end up with a bag for a while. I am really scared and have mixed feelings. I am trying not to worry about it too much until after I hear what the surgeon has to say. So far I have an appointment for May, but my Dr is trying to get me in sooner.

Meanwhile, the boil above my eye is huge. I am on antibiotics for it now. I just have to hope that it goes away sooner than the one on my stomach did. It is really horrible.

I feel like curling up in a ball and crying. Thanks for all the support guys. I really need it right now.
03-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #18
5 iron

Hugs from Califorina Jer' Girl,my fingers are crossed you see the surgeon very soon
03-11-2010, 08:23 AM   #19
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Jer's girl... I can understand your scary feelings of not wanting a bag, it is not something I want to have to do either, but if it is a temporary one it could be the best thing for you! I could tell you not to worry but our brains have a hard time wrapping stuff like this around our heads, not just a vain thing but makes us feel like an alien. The antibiotics should work, your doctor didnt give you anything topical for your boil? You have to be strong, and you are an amazing person, always rememeber that, everything in the long run is worth it, trust me... with age comes wisdom. So I am old enough.
03-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #20
Astra

My Support Groups:
I second that Pen!
I'm old too!

Hang on in there and we are rooting for you! Jer's girl
big hug your way
love
Joan xxx

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

03-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #21
Nyx

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Having a bag isn't that bad! I thought it would be horrible, but it's almost normal now Besides, it's worth it to be rid of all the symptoms I used to have of Crohn's. If you have any questions or concerns about it, feel free to PM me, or ask me here...I'm not shy talking about Oscar! lol

Good luck!
03-11-2010, 12:58 PM   #22
ameslouise

The anticipation and wait is the worst! Hopefully you can get in sooner so you can get a final answer.

I had a bag for a year and it was great because it brought so much relief!

I had emergency surgery after my colon ruptured so I didn't have time to think about it - just woke up and it was there!

Be strong. We're all hoping for the best for you!! - Amy
03-11-2010, 01:53 PM   #23
Jer's Girl

Thank you all so much for your support! Nyx, if I end up with a bag I was already planning on getting lots of advice from you.

Sooo I'm off to the ER again! I have never been to the ER so often in my life. My boil is now huge, the whole right side of my face feels bruised and I started vomiting this morning. I also had a 102 degree fever. Now I can't even see out of my right eye, and red lines are coming out of it. My whole eyelid is dark purple. I look like i was in a bad fight. I feel so sorry for myself! Wish me luck, and not too much pain in the ER.

Like I needed one more thing to worry about, right?
03-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #24
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Good luck kiddo, everything will be just fine!!!! Just tell the doctor's you bf punched you out, you will get more sympathy lol. Kidding. Muah! See ya when you get out!
03-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #25
Nyx

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
OMG...not so good! I hope they drain it and get you on some antibiotics right away! Good luck!
03-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #26
Jer's Girl

So I'm finally back home after three days and two nights in the hospital. The infection on my eye lid infected the rest of me so I had to stay in the hospital and get some heavy duty antibiotics. I am so glad to be home.

I still don't know what is happening with the surgery. Sigh.
03-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #27
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

So you are out and no surgery for your Crohns? That sucks, I hate being in the hospital and was there last month... I didnt know what was up either. When do you go see your surgeon or Gi again?? You must be frustrated... are you still in pain? Hang in there.
03-13-2010, 09:41 PM   #28
InkyStinky

My Support Groups:
Wow, I'm sorry you had to be hospitalized but I'm so glad they got the infection undercontrol - that's scary stuff!!! Glad you're home, too - I never get any rest in the hospital!
03-14-2010, 09:33 PM   #29
Jer's Girl

I am so frustrated and sad. I still don't even know when I will get to talk to a surgeon as my GI still hasn't called me back about it. Meanwhile, I am passing some stool but still very infrequently and never very much. I am so backed up and uncomfortable. I just don't know what to do. I am on a soft foods only diet, but I'm not quite sure what that means i can eat. I will look on here for information.
I will call my Dr again tomorrow about the surgery.

Thanks everyone for caring about me and giving me support. I have been through a lot with this disease, but this has been an especially hard year. Hope all of you are well tonight.
03-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #30
Jer's Girl

PS- don't you think my GI should at least do a colonoscopy? Not that I want one, but I haven't had one since July and with all that is going on, it seems like the thing to do to me. It would be hard to get cleaned out for it though, but maybe good for me. I haven't had a normal BM in so long. Not even normal for my crohns, which was never normal to begin with.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Update on Jer's Girl