Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Methotrexate » Started Methotrexate today.

03-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #31
Nyx

My Support Groups:
*shakes her pompoms*

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

03-22-2010, 03:26 AM   #32
kasper87

Yes my fingers are crossed. Hope my liver can handle it. 6-mp almost killed me.

Current: Methotrexate Injection 25mg weekly, Entocort EC, Vitamin D, Fentanyl 25mcg / 72hrs - Zofran Before MTX - Folic Acid 6 days a week.
Currently On SSDI
03-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #33
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Today was Shot number 3. Done. The problem is I have been bloated and have gas pains from about 3pm to 8pm everyday and last night my Hiatus Hernia was burning and woke me up out of a dead sleep. Starting to bug me again. Nexium must not be enough. Maalox helps too.

Problem is I am supposed to taper tomorrow to 20mg... if I am suffering now, it is gonna get worse by any means.

Does anyone know how long Meth takes to kick in??? Would appreciate some feed back!

Nyx stop causing so much dust with those pom poms LOL.
03-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #34
theend2

Hello Jettalady I was on metho for several month and it never worked for me. It made me feel so sick. I hate that drug.
DX: Diabetes April 2010

Meds:
Did not work:
Apriso caused bad joint pains.
mesalamine - Asacol
6-mercaptopurine
azathioprine AZA
Entocort EC
Sulfasalazine
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate

YES these are working:
Prednisone 40-60 mg daily. Down to 10/20mg
Cortfoam enemas
Protonix 40mg
Pain meds as needed.

Vitamin's:
Calcium
Vitamin D

03-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #35
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Yeah I hear ya, I was on it 7 years ago and felt nauseated and headaches but I was also on lots of other drugs too. So hopefully this time it works because it's all I have left. Taking folic acid is really supposed to help with side effects and the shot is in the butt, fattier area... no problem there .
03-27-2010, 03:15 AM   #36
beth

My Support Groups:
IIRC it takes a good 8 to 12 weeks to kick in.
03-27-2010, 06:59 AM   #37
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yeah I think mine took about 6 weeks.
03-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #38
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

beth said:
IIRC it takes a good 8 to 12 weeks to kick in.

Not the answer I was looking for!

thanks for letting me know. I was hoping sooner, I was on it 7 years ago but I forgot and didnt finish the course of it at that time.

I appreciate it!
03-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #39
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Maybe it's good news though Pen because there's still a chance you may feel better from it.
03-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #40
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Thanks Misty..problem is I am suffering with terrible gas and bloat now, same time, same channel everyday... I taper down to 20mg today on Prednisone... like I gotta stick close to home for awhile. Fingers crossed.
03-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #41
beth

My Support Groups:
I had a horrible feeling you weren't going to like that Pen. Sorry.
04-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #42
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

April 2nd. The last few days have been sooo bad... painful gas and bloat. One night only 2 hours sleep and Dingbat told me to drink hot water and go to bed, I did and it helped...thanks Ding . Took a sleep aid last night..slept thru but with all the cramps and bloating prior nights and one night sleep it still isn't enough.

I got my 4th shot today, and Beth is right the nurses say about 6 to 8 weeks before some kind of improvement. It is said of course everyone is different and said 25mg for 16 weeks is a long time and then 15mg infinity after that and reg blood work.

Just feel foggy today, and was having a depressed moment last night. But I know I have to keep going. Scared of 15mg taper tomorrow. Took 1 flagyl a day to help and it is helping. I hate taking meds but I hate pain more!

You guys are such a help along the way!

Last edited by Crohn's 35; 04-02-2010 at 03:11 PM.
04-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #43
CrohnsHobo

Sorry to hear Jetta. I hope it kicks in for you soon and the taper goes smoothly.

Past Failed Treatments:
Prednisone
Remicade
Asacol/Lialda
6 MP
Cipro/Flagyl
Humira
Methotrexate
Cimzia
Azothiropine
Entyvio
Augmentin
Stelara
04-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #44
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Thanks Hobo! You are so sweet!

I went to see my Gp for my monthly B12 shot. Told him what has been going on and now on Methotrexate. He has been finding that it was an old drug but he has noticed alot of people being put back on it and doing very well. I never mentioned the prednisone. But last night at 2am the horrendous heartburn woke me up out of a dead sleep. I KNOW it is from the Pred, and I am going down even faster, 10mg cause it really isnt working and I dont need any more complications from it. Hiatus Hernia and robbing my calcium isn't very nice.

Have my 5th shot on Friday the 9th. Problem is I really hope the meth starts to work. It is our 10th year anniversary for meeting the first time and I want to go to the keg... the next few days are gonna tell the story. Thinking positive. I want the KEG lol.
04-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #45
CrohnsHobo

I am on 10mg a day and I still get the pred haeartburn. Thought I was going to puke on Sunday night. Yuck!
04-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #46
Astra

My Support Groups:
Do you know what?
I've never had heartburn! and been on pred, 40mg, since January, but on 10mg this week, and still no heartburn, strange isn't it?
Everyone!
fingers crossed for me and Pen, we're tapering down to 10mg, we're kicking this Preds arse!

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

04-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #47
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

I dont think I got heartburn the first time I was on Prednisone. Maybe it is repeated offenses lol. I am paying a little but I get that way a few days before my Meth shot. There is always good ol' Flagyl tho lol.

Good luck with your doc appt tomorrow. Let us know what she/he says!
04-08-2010, 10:29 PM   #48
kasper87

Just did my 5th injection. Still NO side effects. Im a bit jittery today since i went to sleep early in the morning. Didnt eat much.. A lot of sugar and ensure.
04-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #49
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Well my 6th shot was today, feel tired a bit, usually go shopping afterwards but no energy. When I was getting my shot I asked if I was due for my monthly shot and she said wait to see your doctor...umm no it was a standing monthly order here for this lab to do it. So they updated my charts. I asked if they do a liver check and she said yes, and told her under my rib cage I feel a slight discomfort. My LRQ is still acting up, and finished the Prednisone last Tues. Yesterday I developed a rash on the back of my hands and I sorta feel itchy. Pharmacist gave me Aveeno lotion and hydrocortizone cream can't get away from steriods!

I really hope the Metho kicks in soon, because I had to take Flagyl to calm things down.

Kasper: I hope you are doing ok! Your shot was yesterday,,, at least I remembered
04-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #50
kasper87

yes ma'am. 6th shot was friday.

I hope it starts to show some improvement soon. I feel like im getting worse.. but than again i think im causing myself to get sick from all the narcotic sluggishness.

i like how mtx works slow though.. no risk for Bowel obstructions from rapid healing/scar tissue like remicade.
04-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #51
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Kasper if you are talking about headaches or nausea I have that now, and it isnt fun and it was the reason I stopped it the last time. I will give it til I see my Gi May 10th. Last night was not fun, major headaches and nausea.

Are you still taking pain meds cause they can cause headaches and nausea if you have been on them a long time. After awhile pain meds cause headaches. What are your symptoms? I still have a bit of LRQ and taking Cipro until that pain stops.
04-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #52
kasper87

headaches and nausea? None at all..

Im talking about the Crohn's.

Im going to ask and see if prednisone taper for 3 weeks will do
04-21-2010, 09:46 PM   #53
5 iron

It's going to work and you and the hubby will get alot of golf in this summer FORE!!!! is this drug kinda like Humira?
04-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #54
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Hi 5 iron, where in the heck have you been? I was wondering where you got to.
Methotrexate is one of the older drugs and apparently making a come back, and so far I had my 7th shot just this past Friday and the nausea wasnt near as bad. I am taking a natural Ginger Gravol for that and it seems to help.

I am scared to jinx myself because I haven't had a drug that works in a long time. But...so far it seems to be holding back most of my symptoms. I am hoping with each dose it will get better. Not sure if I injured myself or it is arthritis in my wrist, not good for a golfer. I haven't been out yet but hoping to get into the swing of things LOL. I have been busy doing fund raising and have a couple more to do for the CCFC. I am riding my bike 5km and need sponsers to get this disease in check with a cure or awareness. I am doing low impact exercises and trying to get back in the groove.

Since last Oct I have been fighting alot of things not totally related to Crohn's. I am NOT giving up without a fight!

Fore!!!!!!!!
04-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #55
Sue-2009

Oh Pen..I read you posts constantly...I have myself completely crossed right now hoping this is the drug for you Sue
04-26-2010, 10:01 PM   #56
kjhngisd

hoping for the best for you
04-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #57
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

That is so sweet, I thank you both Sue and kjhngisd. So far, things are slowly getting better. The support helps me alot. Something everyone needs. Hugs to you both!
04-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #58
CrohnsHobo

Glad to hear it is going well Pen.

I have not had an injection in almost two weeks due to a pharmacy/insurance issue. Should get them in the mail today and due one tonight.

Didn't notice any difference in that time. So not sure how much it is helping me between the Humira and Pred.
05-01-2010, 08:43 AM   #59
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Just had 8th shot yesterday and just got over a 4 day major flare. Have D and nausea, and no energy. Not sure Meth is going to help or not, but I see my GI May 10th, day after mothers day. You know when you go to the docs you never feel as bad.. but we discussed a 3rd surgery and feels it isnt warranted because of no narrowing, like I want to wait for that??? .

I have headaches and nausea alot after my shot for about 3 days. If I dont do something soon, holiday times come up for my GI and Gp, and both are in retirement stage and cannot get another GP or Gi... need to push on the surgery but I am like the rest of you and really DON'T want to!

Thanks for everyone's support, no one knows what we go through, even tho my husband is my biggest supporter, he still doesn't understand, no one does unless you have Crohns or Colitis. Tired of being in pain or sick and my knee is acting up again. Gonna sign off, sorry for the vent.
05-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #60
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

9th shot yesterday, I am feeling better, but I ate a few pizza slices even tho I took some digestive enzymes I am paying a bit. Went to physio yesterday for my knee (problems since I was a kid with it and two orthoscopic surgeries) and he says it now can be from meds.. Pred and meth, and lack of use when you are sick and dont feel like exercising, I will pick all of the above . Gotta get my knee back in shape, because I dont want surgery on it. So far today no nausea, or headache...knock on wood!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Methotrexate » Started Methotrexate today.