Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Methotrexate » Started Methotrexate today.

05-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #61
ChefShazzy

Hey Pen, Hope you're doing well. I just wanted to thank you for telling me about tapering to 15mg of MTX per week. I mentioned it to my GI last week, and he agreed to lower my dose to 15mg/week! Hopefully that will help with the nausea and fatigue I get from the methotrexate doses without getting any other 'symptoms' starting up again.
Meds: Double-dose of Remicade, every 6 weeks
*I'm going to start saying I'm in REMISSION now! Three years since my last hospitalization!*
06-15-2010, 03:24 PM   #62
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Glad to be of service *bows in front of Sharon lol* .

I havent posted here in a while, just not much to say other than I am still flaring from time to time and the nausea and headaches were horrendous last week. So I asked to be changed from Fridays, as the weekends and fundraiser is coming up and I dont want to be sick then. So I changed to Mondays. I told them if I get headaches (which I do now) and nauseated 24/7 I am not going to continue with it. She said to contact your Gi or Gp... both are on holidays and I missed the phone call from the Gi, and my Gp will never change the Gi's reports. So, I just finished 13th shot and not too nauseated now but the headaches just keep on coming. I have 3 more weeks until they taper to 15mg... hope I can make it because if I keep getting flares, it is certainly not worth it.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Pen
06-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #63
Aura

Hi Pen

Aura here
I am supposed to be having my training today to learn to inject myself with methotrexate. But I am away from home on leave for two weeks. I had to cancel and get another appointment. I dont like doing that as I may have to wait a long time for the appointment. I am sure I will have had my first one in the next three weeks with my fingers crossed. Do you go for injections or do you inject yourself?

Cheers
06-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #64
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

I wish I could inject myself, funny I had training whilst on Humira but now with the metho I have to go to the Ambulatory clinic once a week (45 min drive... thank God for the Jetta cheap on gas) and they do bp every week too and blood work 1 a month which if very important. Also take 1mg of Folic acid everyday it really makes a difference. I am not afraid of needles or injecting my self, but rules are rules LOL. Let me know when you start ok? Good luck with it.
06-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #65
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Penn,

Has it been your experience that MTX is harder to inject? I had to inject intramuscular for a year and most times it was difficult. My doc wouldn't approve sub-q injections and self administered intramuscular injections where no picnic for me, dear Hubby has to do it for me. Thank God I was recently switched to pills lol!

I WILL STAY STRONG
I WILL FIGHT
I WILL WIN

Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol
06-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #66
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Nope, my Gi or Gp wont allow self administered, has to be done by a nurse. I just heard that taking pills are harder on the stomach and I already have a Hiatus hernia, thanks to pred... I dont mind the shots, if they didnt make me sick anyways I would want to stay on it, my next shot is Mondays, switched from Fridays. Just dont feel it is working, too many flares. You?
06-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #67
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I wish US doctors were so careful! I'm glad they have it so a nurse administers it, I'm sure it's much better for the patients.

No unfortunately my experience is that MTX only slightly improved my inflammation and white cell counts, then it kind of caused a rebound effect where my immune system fought back by producing even higher white cell counts and inflammation markers.

Now I'm using Remicade and a lower dose of MTX mostly to prevent building antibodies to the medication, and it's really helping, I'm starting to get out of the flare and into remission after 3 loading doses. YAY! The bad news is my liver is not a happy camper-ALT is above 150.

Isn't this a fun disease GRRR!
06-21-2010, 03:16 PM   #68
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Well... today was a total waste of time!!!! I called the ambulatory clinic at 10am to tell them I am in for my 1pm appt so they can tell the pharmacy to have it ready. I got there half hour, as one told me they dont make up the needle til you get there. Waited an hour!!! So they take my by 130/70 good enough and the nurse said this is the wrong dose! Should be 25mg for 16 weeks this was only 14th. Here I am feeling like crap headache and nauseated and havent even gotten the shot yet! So, I was not impressed. So she called the pharmacy and they said they will send up the 25mg. In the meantime they tell me to go for my blood work whilst I wait. I get to the blood lab and they have nothing! The standing order has to be up dated...well that was IT!

That was an omen for me to high tail outta there and I told the nurse I am sick already, and all this mix up, I dont want this needle any more and it has been 14 weeks and no better than when I started. Sooo, she said call your doctor and let him know.

So I got home, told the Gi's secretary... no more and this is the second time in 7 years and no more and tell my doctor. So that is that, I am sick of being sick and nothing is working.... but bought some Olive leaf extract and gonna try that. My daughter who is going to study medicine was so happy I quit it .... now to tell my husband later. Hope I did the right thing.
06-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #69
Astra

My Support Groups:
Hurrah!

Yes you bloody well did!
Penny, my lovely friend, I have watched you suffer with this shit for nearly 4 months and it was making you really ill, I'm glad too
love ya
xxx

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

06-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #70
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

You sounded exactly like my daughter, she was reading about it and so glad I am off! But surgery could be next, but the waiting times here...too long!

Thanks my friend, you my second soul!
06-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #71
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Well my husband and mother know now that I quit Metho, and my husband said, enough is enough. So now to maybe hear from my doctor... I see my Gp in July so I will talk to him about maybe getting another GI cause the one I got is retiring soon anyways. Back to Flagyl now.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Methotrexate » Started Methotrexate today.