• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone get tired/cold after eating?

Since I started showing more acute symptoms about 12 months ago I noticed that directly after eating (~20 minutes) I get very sleepy (not just tired, but "I need a nap" sleepy) and very cold. Without fail this always seems to happen; no matter if it is breakfast or late at night or even the amount of food I eat. After about 20 minutes of being tired and cold I revert back to how I felt pre-meal.

Anyone else have this happen to them? I'm completely new to this disease, so if this is as prevalent as abdominal pain as a symptom then I am sorry for asking the question.

Anyone know what this is about? Is my digestive system so dumb and inefficient that it sucks all the energy from my body to start breaking down food?

-JD

absolutely when things where at the worst. I would take 1/2 the food off my tray in hospital because I would be sound asleep when they came to collect the empty trays. It went away as I got better.

ameslouise

I'm just the opposite - hot flash after eating - but I think it's the pred...

Be careful! Don't fall asleep in our food!!

Astra

When I was on high doses of Pred, I got very icy cold hands after eating, but that's all gone now I've reduced
Are you on Pred?

This happens to me as well-- I get FREEZING cold for up to an hour after eating (and drowsy, but I feel like that is normal). By the time I finish my lunch break at work, I am invariably covered in goosebumps and my skin is literally cold to the touch. I hadn't linked it to my UC until now, will definitely be asking my doctor.

That sounds like theres a lot of blood rushing to your stomach to break down the food. That really sounds like blood issues.

snacks and naps...

Yes, food makes me sleepy, and a boatload of too hot/ too cold issues.
As Kramer said, 'I can't get into a zone'!

I have no proof, but I like to blame all the meds for the goofy things I go through...
(cold glare at you... Prednisone)

Hope you feel better,
hang in there
Walt

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
"Most will agree that your blood is being drawn to and focused on your digestive process. This diverts blood away from your extremities as well as your cognitive brain."
http://www.wisegeek.com/why-do-i-feel-cold-after-eating.htm

From what I was told years ago, this is why you get cold and tired after eating. It almost always happens to me but if it really concerns you then contact your GP about it. Could even be low iron or poor circulation for some reason (although my first guess is the quote above).

I mentioned this to my GI and he said that some blood does in fact get diverted to the gut after eating, but it isn't enough to make you feel cold/tired. That, he said, we probably due to my horrible sleep patterns from Pred induced insomnia. Since I got off the Pred this has stopped happening, so there is hope.