• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hey all,

I came across this site about a week ago and was so impressed with it and the members that I decided to join.

I'm Dan, 30 years old and I'm from Wales in the UK. I was diagnosed with Crohns when I was 13 years old. I had a difficult time in my teens due to constant flare ups and symptoms. At the age of 17 I had part of my large intestine removed. Following this operation my condition improved dramatically although I did have to start taking Loperamide (Imodium) as food would just pass straight through me. That is all under control now. I also take Asacol and Folic Acid tablets. I get vitamin B12 injections every 3 months.

Throughout my twenties I have been exercising quite regularly and doing weight training. I have found this has helped to increase my immune system and keep my weight stable. I am currently fit and in good health.

With regards to my diet, I find dairy products, in particular milk and eggs give me the most grief, but in moderation are manageable. Apart from that I eat and drink what I want.

May I say how impressed I am with how much help and support everyone gives each other on this site. I'm really pleased to have joined.

I wish you all the best, Dan.

Welcome Dan,

I too just registered with CF for the same reasons as you stated. Good to hear that you are in good spirits and that you currently have you CD under control. Keep it up mate.

Fou

Hi Dan! :bigwave: I was diagnosed when I was 8 - I hear you about tough times dealing with this as a kid/teen. I'm so glad you're doing well now!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Welcome to the forum Dan! You have had Crohns very young and nutrition at that age is so important. Having a resection (I have had two) also reduces the nutrition level. Even if you are not flaring, there still some no no's. Milk and dairy can affect you, comes and goes, but I eliminate flares as much as possible, I use rice milk and old cheddar cheese is fine. Beef really does not digest well and can problems...but as you say in moderation and that is the key.

Everyone here will help you as best they can, we are not doctors but we know first hand and little tips here and there for things outsides have no clue.

Glad you joined us, hope you continue to do well!

Astra

Hi Dan
and welcome

glad you have joined us, look forward to seeing you around the forum

Joan xx

ameslouise

Hi Dan! Welcome to the forum! You have been around Crohn's a long time, and I'm sure you can offer a lot to us "newbies" and especially to parents who have kids or teens that have been recently diagnosed.

Has the Asocol kept you in remission this whole time?! Glad you are doing so well!

Keep taking good care of yourself! - Amy

Thanks for the welcome guys, I hope you are all ok too.

Hi Violetcreams, South Wales!

Hi Amy, Asacol I think has pretty much kept me in remission. The odd pain here and there but that's about it. I've been taking Asacol since the age of 17 and it seems to have worked for me. Take care Amy.

Hello Dan and welcome to the forum!! :)

Any questions just ask away...
someone is always around.

Once again....Welcome.
Nancy~

F

fledoow

You have no idea how much this post just made my day. It gives me hope

DannyboyUK said:
Thanks for the welcome guys, I hope you are all ok too.

Hi Violetcreams, South Wales!

Hi Amy, Asacol I think has pretty much kept me in remission. The odd pain here and there but that's about it. I've been taking Asacol since the age of 17 and it seems to have worked for me. Take care Amy.

Yay, South Wales! LOvely.
:grr1d: :grr1d: :grr1d: :banana: :banana: :banana: :panda: :panda: :panda: