• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here, testing for crohns

Hello, everyone.

I'm glad to have found all of you. I've been reading a lot of your posts, and there's a great deal of activity here. I'm hoping you experts can help me.

I've been having GI issues for years: pain, alternating diarrhea / constipation, weight loss. Not much bleeding, though. When this all started back in 2006, I would have to run to the bathroom every time after eating, with severe diarrhea and pain. I lost 20 pounds in less than 6 months. I had a colonoscopy then that showed nothing but some polyps. My colon looked fine. I had a capsule test, as well, that came back normal. I was told I was fine. My symptoms didn't go away for years, and during that time, I'd been worked up all over the country. I've been told it's anxiety, depression, anorexia, irritable bowel, and a lot of other stuff, lastly being Addison's disease pain (which I do have adrenal failure, nearly died last May from it, and was put on hydrocortisone). Since being put on steroids, my diarrhea is better, but the pain and inflammation aren't.

I've been through two ERCP's for pancreatic sphincter dysfunction, have had pancreatitis, had my gallbladder removed, and my latest colonoscopy shows inflammation in my entire colon. I was constipated for nine days previously to the scope.

The gastro who is following me now did some blood work, and it was found that I have the saccharomyces cerevisiae antibodies, both IgA and IgG, although the IgA one is higher (45.5 when above 25 is positive) while the IgG one is right in the middle (23) (equivocal, not positive or negative).

My questions are, I've read a lot about these antibodies, and a gastro at Cleveland Clinic, whom I was sent to a couple of days ago for an opinion about my liver, says these antibodies don't really mean much, so he dismissed them and said I don't have crohn's based on my colonoscopy which showed waxing and waning inflammation, no ulcers, no bleeding, etc.

This gastro's more concerned that my liver enzymes are up. That's my second question. I've read that crohn's can cause liver problems. Do many of you have elevated liver enzymes? Just my ALT is high--pretty high, too, at 145, sometimes up to around 170.

I am very confused about all of this. I know, from what my regular GI told me and what I've read, that crohn's can be hard to diagnose. I don't want to have it, but at least I'd know what's causing my pain!

Like I said, I've had many, many scopes over the years: 2 ERCP's, a balloon enteroscopy, 3 colonoscopies, around 6 EGD's, and none have come back saying crohn's. My last colonscopy, as I said, showed inflammation, but the biopsies said that the inflammation was not consistent with any IBD.

UGH! Oh, one more question. I'm on HC, not prednisone. Is there a difference in these two steroids with regard to crohn's? I only know how they're used in Addison's.

Thanks. I'm sorry to be so ignorant. I've read the basics on crohn's, but my questions aren't readily answered in the literature.

Lindajoy

Identifying Crohn's is not like identifying most other forms of disease. You can not do a Gene scan to look for a certain combination or grow a culture to give a definitive diagnosis. Diagnosing Crohn's disease matches a patent with a set of criteria based on their symptoms.

This disease has no known cause so you can not diagnose the disease by isolating the cause. So yea it is pretty hard to diagnose and tbh it really does not make that much difference. A GI matches your symptoms up to an established set of Criteria. Then all they do is treat the symptoms anyway.

But don't let that worry you because getting the symptoms under control sure feels good. I had an operation to remove the most messed up parts of my gut and am on Immune suppression therapy and I feel great. I gained all the weight back and and am back working and feeling good.

It takes time but you will get it all sorted out. Even if they don't give you diagnosis right way keep in mind that, "If it walks like a Duck and Quacks like a Duck they treat it like a Duck".

Oh and i'm no expert. Just a guy with a funky belly who is feeling a lot better these days. Glad you're here. This place is great to learn stuff :)

Last edited:

Astra

Hi Lindajoy
and welcome

You've had a rough couple of years! This is very frustrating, and I know how you feel, I was told for 15 years that I had IBS, anxiety and depression and that I was neurotic!
I'm sorry I cant answer your questions, but there's loads on here who will
Just hope that you can control your symptoms whilst waiting for a dx, you'll get there in the end, and we're here if you need to vent!
good luck
Joan xx

Thank you, Kenny and Joan, for the welcomes. I'm pretty sure, given all that my GI doc has said, that I'll be getting my Crohn's diagnosis soon. And, in all honesty, while I certainly am not happy about having Crohn's, I am sort of excited that I may be getting a diagnosis, FINALLY, for what has been keeping me from living life for the last few years and begin treating it so I begin living again!

When he first mentioned IBD to me, I thought it was a death sentence, like when I was told I have Addison's. But, from what I've read, it definitely is not. Kenny, like you, I just want to feel good again. It's been so long since I've felt well (since 2004, actually), that I don't even know what that feels like anymore.

And, Joan, like you, my charts are full of diagnosis of anxiety, depression, neurosis. I was even at Johns Hopkins with severe abdominal pain and projectile diarrhea (sorry so graphic), and they said I needed intense therapy for my severe psychiatric problems. They literally said I was psychotic. I nearly died five months later when I went into adrenal crisis.

Anyway, thank you, again, for your warm welcomes. I'm sorry any of us has to be here, but I'm sure glad you all are.

I look forward to talking with you all.

Lindajoy

:voodoo: I love this little guy. This is how I feel right now. I'm trying to contain my anger at having been told I'm nuts all these years, when it's probably been Crohn's the whole time.

Welcome Lindajoy! I hope you get your diagnosis soon so that you can begin to get your life sorted out. Many of us have been where you are right now and felt the frustration you are feeling. Good luck to you!

Astra

Hey Lindajoy!

I hear ya loud and clear, welcome to the psychosymatic club!
I think at one stage they were gonna give me a lobotomy! lol
You're NOT crazy, You're a Crohnie!
See you round the forum
xxxx

Welcome Lindajoy to the Crohn's Forum! :)

You've come to the right place for information and friendship!

Good to have you onboard.

Welcoming hugs~Nancy

Thank you all again for the warm welcomes. I appreciate them and appreciate all of you being here.

Joan, your lobotomy story made me think of a doctor I had a few years ago who said, "I think we should just cut you open and see what's going on. It would be easier than all of these tests, and we'd be able to see what's really going on." That was right before my first ERCP, when I was in the hospital for severe pain (one of 50 +times I was in the hospital over the past four years) and high sugars (in the 300's and they had me on a glucose IV!), and I knew I needed an ERCP but the doc wouldn't listen. Needless to say, I didn't allow him to cut me from start to sternum, just to make his life easier!

I may hear from my GI tomorrow about my results. I'll let you all know if I do.

Oh, and I did stool samples. What could my GI gain from those? He said something about inflammatory markers showing?

Thanks, again,

Linda