• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lap bander with IBD

Hi, my name is Tami, and I'm new to the IBD community. I'd like to share my story, and look forward to your advice/feedback.

I had lap band surgery in September, 2006, which probably has nothing to do with developing IBD, but may impact the nutritional component, as well as treatment. I lost weight successfully, and am now at a normal weight, maintaining for 2+ years.

I started having severe diarrhea and stomach cramping in early October, 2008, just a week after my mother died. I went through various dietary changes and medical treatments through my PCP to no avail, before going to a GI doc in November. I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy at that time. The doctor said that my symptoms were more indicative of ulcerative colitis, but that there were cellular indications for Crohn's. He prescribed Asacol, but I never got it filled because the cost after insurance was over $600 per month, and I was hoping for remission without it. Shortly after that, I started having more severe abdominal pain, which was diagnosed as gall stones, and had my gallbladder out in December. Lo and behold, my IBD symptoms started diminishing, and became very manageable, and remained that way for over a year.

Three weeks ago my symptoms came raging back full force, and I'm heading to the bathroom multiple times throughout the day and night (really impacting my sleep), and have gotten back in touch with my GI about possible treatment. I'd like advice on possible medications that might be more affordable, or suggestions on homeopathic or dietary changes that might help. My lap band impacts treatment in a few ways, first, I'm limited on how much/what I can eat, second, I cannot take large pills, and finally, I take acid reducers daily because of reflux probably caused by the band. Do acid reducers impact colitis/Crohn's? Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Tami

Hi Tami! I can't give you any med advice because I'm not on any right now, as I haven't got an official diagnosis yet. But I can give you a few diet tips! Everyone is different, and so one Crohnie may be able to eat something another Crohnie can't, and vice-versa. I myself don't eat dairy products, fried foods, wheat/gluten, caffeine, or raw vegetables or fruits. I can eat a little bit of red meat but not much at a time. Try to stay away froms foods that have lots of preservatives as well. It's hard to get used to at first but there are quite a few alternatives to the foods I can't eat. The only thing I really miss is salad!

Diet is an important part but meds are important as well, and I'm sure other members on here who have more experience can give you tips in that department. Good luck and hope you start feeling better soon!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Tami and welcome to the forum! Sorry you are going thru so much emotionally and my condolences for you losing your mom, so sad and unfortuntely we do suffer at most during, divorces, deaths and moving... major changes do cause problems in the bowels.
Most drugs for Crohns aren't cheap, the cheapest that does work but has side effects is Prednisone but only a temporary fix. I am on it now to but a quick taper until methotrexate kicks in. You have to start something else. AS for acid reducers they too have a side effect, they block some nutrients like calcium and some other vitamins. I too had my gall bladder out and have a Hiatus Hernia probably from all the Prednisone I have been on. I will stop taking the acid reducer (Nexium) as soon as I am off Pred. There are others who can share their experiences with you of medications, holistic or LDN.

Hope you feel some relief soon, as whysoserious says, you have to be careful what you eat. If you have to drink Ensure, to make sure what vitamins you cant take you are getting the nutrition. I am overweight too but lost the weight half more to go, I have had alot of surgeries, so I avoid them as much as possible. Glad you found us , great people here!

Yikes I just dug up an invoice slip I save for tax purposes. I paid $21.40 for 300 tabs after insurance.
Novo-5 ASA 400mg 300tab 30 days $142.67 total ; patient pays $21.40

Anyway I would suggest going on a Liquid and soft foods diet to rest your bowel as much as possible and drink water like there is no tomorrow. A lot of people rely on steroid treatment to do the job for them and get stuck on it anyway. It takes a couple of months to break a flair and they say the first one is the worst. I did it without steroids on my doctors advice and had to stick with Liquids for 3 months because I had penetrating Crohns around my Ceacum with some inter abdominal fistulas and steroids would only make the infection worse.

There are a few diets out there that people try. Namely the one popularized by the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" Personally I like poaching fish and eating a lot of soups with no corn and other hard to digest things in them. I have a fish thread were we post some recipes in the food section. Fish is great for Crohnies but it does get boring after a while :)

There is a lot to learn on this site Tami and I hope you find what you need here. We are all in this together and try pretty hard to help each other out when we can. Remember this disease has a very wide range of symptoms related to how it manifests its self.

BTW The Imuran I am on cost $137.15/210 tabs with an after insurance cost to me of $20.57 Cdn. That is 60 days worth for me @ 170lbs. Just a fyi if you end up heading that way but I hope you don't have to.

Astra

Hi Tami
and welcome

glad you found us, lots of help and advice for you and everyone is friendly!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

whysoserious said:
I can give you a few diet tips! Everyone is different, and so one Crohnie may be able to eat something another Crohnie can't, and vice-versa.
How do you know what foods are a problem? Go on an elimination diet and add foods back gradually to see what you react to? Keep a food log? If you are already in the midst of a flare, would you notice a difference? I'm eliminating gluten and lactose for now, which seem to be poorly tolerated by many with IBD. I don't know if it's coincidence or if it's possible to see improvement overnight, but I started the new diet yesterday, and only got up once last night.

Thanks for your response!

Tami

Jettalady said:
major changes do cause problems in the bowels.
Thanks for your note. I think this flare may have been triggered by the stress of a recent move out of state. I may have to start yoga!

Tami

kenny said:
There are a few diets out there that people try. Namely the one popularized by the book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" Personally I like poaching fish and eating a lot of soups with no corn and other hard to digest things in them. I have a fish thread were we post some recipes in the food section. Fish is great for Crohnies but it does get boring after a while :)
On a positive note, I live on the coast, and have access to great fresh seafood! I'll check out the recipes. I love fish, and it's really so versatile with great recipes.

Thanks for the info on your meds, too. I have a lot to learn about treatment for IBD, and don't want to rely on which pharmaceutical rep has been in my doc's ear most recently to determine which med he prescribes. Plus, docs generally don't have a clue about how much meds cost, and that a different option may cost the patient significantly less.

Tami

Tami said:
How do you know what foods are a problem? Go on an elimination diet and add foods back gradually to see what you react to? Keep a food log? If you are already in the midst of a flare, would you notice a difference? I'm eliminating gluten and lactose for now, which seem to be poorly tolerated by many with IBD. I don't know if it's coincidence or if it's possible to see improvement overnight, but I started the new diet yesterday, and only got up once last night.

Thanks for your response!

Tami
Hi Tami. It was mostly through research and elimination. I found a few sources that said that lactose/gluten are bad for us, and when I eliminated them from my diet I started noticing improvements. I can eat raw veggies occasionally, but never ever eat lettuce! LOL. I found that fried foods are the enemy on my own. They go right through me, one way or another.

I'm glad you are feeling better!