Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Did you have colonoscopy under general anaesthetic?

View Poll Results: Were you fully sedated for your colonoscopy?
Yes 95 60.51%
No 62 39.49%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

03-30-2010, 07:54 AM   #1
Italie

Did you have colonoscopy under general anaesthetic?

Hi

Just wondering how many of you have their colonoscopies under general anesthetic and how many under sedation. Also, which country are you in? - General seems to be commom in US but not UK from what I've seen.

Thanks very much.

Italie
x

Had Crohns on and off for 13 years.

Not on meds at the mo - thankfully!

Diabetic

03-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
Linney

Hi Italie, I live in the south of England and had mine under mild sedation, which was slightly uncomfortable but not painfull. I was quite pleased as I was able to watch it on screen as it was being done which I found fasinating but I know not everyone would want to. At least sedation is quicker to recover from and if the consultant needs you to move position slightly it is easier than if you are out cold.
03-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

I am in Canada and I get 3 injections of a pain killer, relaxant and a forget drug lol. Quick and you come out of it not groggy or nauseated. Now I dont fear colonoscopies, because I feel nothing and wake up and coherent to listen to the dx. The prep is the worst. I hate anaesthesia, makes me puke.

When is your colonoscopy?
03-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
peleburrows

I'm from south of england too, both of mine have been under sedation.

I find the worst thing by far is the taste of the prep....sure the colonoscopies are uncomfortable at times but 30 mins isn't very long really

On a separate note my last one was when we were having all the snow storms earlier in the year, driving to the hospital through a blizzard after a day of laxatives was......'exciting'
03-30-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
Linney

yeh I agree the prep is worse that the proceedure. Keep a book in the loo, some baby nappy rash cream and a good air freshener !
03-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
Italie

Hi

Thanks for all your replies. My colonoscopy is on the 26th April and I'm getting general anaesthetic after a horiffic experience under 'sedation'.

Anyway, I didn't think they did it under general because it was too risky and now I'm terrified. My consultant says he is happy to do it under general as it doesnt make any difference to him BUT he's not had to do one before!! - he says the only increased risk is due to the anaesthetic, not the procedure. He did my last colonoscopy about 5 years ago so he has been there for a while but hasn't had anyone that couldnt tolerate it under sedation.

I thought that the US did it regularly under general and thought I'd feel a bit happier with it if I knew someone who had it done a few times and had no problems.

I just dont know what to do - I know it needs done but I feel like just not turning up at all.

xx
03-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Linney

You must get this done it would not have been advised if it wasn't necessary. I think from what I have read it is fairly common in the US as you say but not here. But the thing to remember is that the consultant does the actual proceedure, no different to him if you are sedated or out of it. If this is his first time with someone under anaesthic it will not matter the person that matters is the anaesetist (can't spell that one) who is putting pepople out and bringing them round everyday. Keep looking on here I bet there will be loads of people who have no probs. Probably the worst bit will be the woozy after effects. Remember also that one bad experience does not mean that the next one will be as bad, fear can make any experience worse I do understand that. Keep positive and let us all know how things go. Hugs
03-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
Astra

My Support Groups:
Hi Italie

I agree with Linney on this one, being under general isn't good really for anyone's health unless absolutely necessary.
I know you're scared, and maybe a bad experience has put you off, it prob won't happen again, just have faith and sedation, and I got to watch mine on the big screen too, it was ace!
Good luck
Joan xxx

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

03-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #9
Tami

I've only had one colonoscopy, and didn't even think to ask what they used! But, it was a horrific experience. I felt like I was in a dreamlike state, paralyzed, but in excruciating pain. I kept trying to call out, but couldn't. I'm guessing this was sedation? Gotta do something different next time.

I'm in the US...was done in Birmingham, AL.

Tami
03-30-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yeah I agree with Astra. I had bad experiences when I was younger when they took longer than expected and I remember the sedation wearing off and screaming in pain. So needless to say I was terrified of them and luckily didn't have to have one for a good few years.

When I eventually did, I was so nervous. The sedation was so amazing though. I felt like I was on cloud 9 and wanted to stay in there all day. How crazy is that!?

I really do think that the prep is by far the worst part. I had bad experiences with that too though, like when I was 9 and the nurse decided to give me an enema without telling me what she was going to do and it was just awful. Now I'm older and I get to do the prep at home by myself and no enemas it's so much better. It's actually nice the next day when there's nothing to come out of me.

Good luck. You'll be fine
03-30-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
Dustin

My Support Groups:
I have had a few colonoscopies, and every time I have had a mix of drugs to make me woozy, but not knocked out. My doctor always said it was easier for him to do the colonoscopy when the patient is awake, as they can roll over, or assist the nurse in any positional changes when awake, instead of being a dead weight.

My problem is that I feel absolutely everything they are doing though, and they are already giving me the heaviest meds they can without knocking me out. I would flinch every time they took a biopsy. I was facing away from the screen, and my doctor thought I was seeing a reflection of the screen, and flinching when I could see the biopsy taken... he was surprised when I told him I couldn't see the screen. The next colonoscopy I get done, he has said he is going to send me to a different hospital to get knocked right out, as it is too painful for me to have it done otherwise, and the hospital I go to doesn't put people out for that procedure as they don't order that kind of drug for those procedures.

One time the nurse kept telling me to "keep breathing" because my oxygen level was so low... she would walk in and out of the room numerous times, and every time she came back in she would say it again... I realized after I freaked out on the nurse telling her I was breathing, that she was looking at my pulse rate, not my O2 level. Even after telling her that she was looking at the wrong thing - that it was my pulse at 48 (normal for me back then) and my O2 was 98, not the other way around - she still told my parents I was the worst patient she has ever had. I was 16 then, so my parents were still going with me to all my tests.
03-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Every time I've had a colonoscopy I've been knocked right out. I've never had a problem afterwards.

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

03-30-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
CrohnsHobo

Every time I have been knocked out and I am in the US.

Past Failed Treatments:
Prednisone
Remicade
Asacol/Lialda
6 MP
Cipro/Flagyl
Humira
Methotrexate
Cimzia
Azothiropine
Entyvio
Augmentin
Stelara
03-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #14
gibby

Hey Italie,

I used to get them done under GA all the time when i was a kid and growing up in my teens, even had a couple under sedation since in my twenties but the last time was the first time i had a problem..

thing is i am due to get a colonoscopy in a few weeks but yeah, my last one was awful, i was sedated with midazolam (which is the forget drug) and pain relief with pethidine, which was great for the first few minuted then i took a huge allergic reaction to it! my skin raised up in weals and i couldnt breathe, heard monitors alarm and the doctors having a wee panic to themselves, they gave me hyrdocortisone to alleviate the reaction but decided as they were half way round they would just continue with midazolam and complete the procedure...

the thing about midazolam is it doesnt cut the pain, it makes you unable to really speak coherently or be fully aware of what is going on....i remember beiing in horrendous pain and discomfort and remember the medics saying they will be quick, and comforting me, but it was really important they finsihed...pretty grim...

thing is, that was a few years ago and i have had problems over the past few months, they are considereing that my UC has maybe extended to another part of the bowel or even looking at the ol Crohns diagnosis again...i have skipped between them for years...anyway they are goiong to get me in for another colonoscopy but i am so scared....i WANT them to do it under general anesthetic....

but didnt know they did that, so where do you get seen hun? did he suggest it or did you have to fight to get it done under GA? I really dont want that expereince again....they were a great medical team and i really trusted the gastro, had no probs with them or their decision to keep going but yeah, not a huge fan of being aware of it all again....

Everything happens for a reason, no matter how crap it seems,it shapes you for better things in life. Keep smiling!
Dx UC 1991 when i was 8 years old:

Hospitalised for 2 weeks in July 2011 with burst appendix and peritonitis, surgery, IV antibiotics and a long recovery...

Lovely Meds...
*8x500mg Pentasa (Mesalazine)
*3x50mg Imuran (Azathioprine)
*Mebeverine/Colofac PRN for pain
*and B12 injections every 3 months
*Asacol PR when flaring +/- prednisolone

03-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #15
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

I can't figure out what people mean by "knocked out". Does that mean completely out, or just seeming to be out?
I have had 5 colonoscopies, and each time it has been under what they call "consious sedation", which means I am not fully asleep like a general anesthetic. It feels like I am knocked out though, as I seem to be fully asleep.
The nurse said that I may or may not fall asleep. I did wake up in the middle, only one time, but I was asleep again before I could say anything.
I wish I knew the name of whatever was in my IV, but I honestly don't know.
I didn't think that it was common to be fully put out in the US for colonoscopies.
03-30-2010, 12:34 PM   #16
Cookie

Hi Italie,

Most colonoscopies in the US are done with sedation under the supervision of a professional anethesiologist, rather than with general anesthesia. There is a risk involved anytime somebody is given general anesthesia and it is usually not necessary for this procedure, which is possibly why your doc said it is too risky, meaning why take the risk if you don't need to? But as long as a professional anethesiologist is administering it, I don't think you have to worry. If your consultant is not a professional anesthesiologist, he will not be the one administering it...at least he shouldn't be!

What is usually done here in the US is a combination of pain killers and sedatives (demerol and propofol, the "Michael Jackson" drug, for instance) . Most people are awake for the entire procedure, but have no recollection of anything that happened. From what I have gathered from comments made on this forum (and it is just my inference, so I could be wrong), but there appears to be a difference in the level of sedation that is given here in the states vs. what is common in the UK.
03-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #17
peleburrows

Italie,

I deleted this from my original post in the event it might make you even more uneasy, but as you've elaborated a touch more on the situation i'll add another 10pence worth

My first colonoscopy was inconclusive because i was in so much pain when they got to a 'kink' in my colon. I kept saying F**K! so they upped the sedation but then pulled out. I put off the next colonoscopy for 5 years aswell and things went ALOT smoother. I was slightly concerned because the guy who did it the second time was the registrar(?) the original doctors understudy anyway.

The doctor said that he could do one patient and think 'that was a nightmare' then a short while after it could be really easy and that seems to have worked out in my case.
03-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
Jennifer
Adminstrator

I agree with Shadycat. Although I don't see what the big deal is about being put out for this procedure be it put out completely of the forget drug. Have had it done about 5 or 6 times since I was 9 years old and never had a problem. Sure there is a risk to being put out but the risks are uncommon. If you want to learn more about the risks then look here:
http://www.webmd.com/pain-management...-complications

For me, the procedure is painful enough to require some sort of anesthesia.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
03-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #19
CrohnsHobo

My Butt Hurts said:
I can't figure out what people mean by "knocked out". Does that mean completely out, or just seeming to be out?
Every time I have had one (two last year) I get in the procedure room and I am on my side. They inject whatever fantastic drug they use into the IV. Next thing I know I am in the recovery room coming out of whatever they gave me under one of those awesome warm blankets.

I sometimes I think I can remember bits and pieces of the procedure but they are always mixed in with whatever weird dreams I also had.

Then my parents take me out to eat a huge meal of my choice.
03-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #20
Cookie

CrohnsHobo said:
Every time I have had one (two last year) I get in the procedure room and I am on my side. They inject whatever fantastic drug they use into the IV. Next thing I know I am in the recovery room coming out of whatever they gave me under one of those awesome warm blankets.

I sometimes I think I can remember bits and pieces of the procedure but they are always mixed in with whatever weird dreams I also had.

Then my parents take me out to eat a huge meal of my choice.

Sounds to me like they give you the standard sedation. Isn't that warm blanket the best???
03-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #21
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

I've been under sedation before, but the last one I was conscious. It was a bit uncomfortable, but kind of cool to watch at the same time.
03-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #22
orchard archer

Italie, I had a Bad Colonoscopy Experience!
I did Trial Drugs and have had quite a few Colonoscopies.
Anyway, They Decided to Switch from Demerol to Fentanyl, and I pretty sure Versed.
The First time When They Switched was Horrible, I Was Flopping Like a Fish a Yelling, They Claimed it Was the Maximum Dose? ( inexperienced or liar)
Soooo, The next Time I made it a POINT to Tell Everybody Dr., Nurse, Anesthesiologist. That I Hurt Like Hell.
I bring it Up everytime since, I think 4 scopes since and I Have Not had a Problem.
I seem to fade in and out some but, mostly it is over before I know it.
Hope it goes ok....
03-31-2010, 12:43 AM   #23
David in Seattle

peleburrows said:
I'm from south of england too, both of mine have been under sedation.

I find the worst thing by far is the taste of the prep....
Do you mean the laxative? I've done the Colyte thing twice, neither time did I add any of the obnoxious "flavor packets" that come with it. Minus that, the stuff just tastes a little salty, a bit like some kind of odd broth. Not really unpleasant. I recall having to drink a bunch of contrast medium for a CT, it was also flavored, the whole time I kept thinking "how f'ing bad could this stuff taste on its own that adding this "flavor" IMPROVES it?" Don't know what it's like in the UK, but here in the US, people are so used to swilling great pails of hyper-sweetened soda pop all day long, that if it doesn't taste like something that would bring down a room full of diabetics at 50 paces, they just can't tolerate it

As to the sedation, they used a combination of the benzodiazapine Versed and the ultra short acting opioid Fentanyl. What surprised me most was I had no discomfort AFTER the procedure, neither immediately nor the next day, as one might expect after having your colon inflated like the Hindenburg and probed with a bit of plumber's kit. Part of me wondered if they actually did the procedure. That would be the paranoid part...

Last edited by David in Seattle; 03-31-2010 at 02:25 AM.
03-31-2010, 10:12 AM   #24
blah161

Hi! I'm from Ireland. I was sedated, but I went completely asleep and didn't feel anything so I might as well have been knocked out. Apparently I was distressed at one point so they gave me more drugs. I just remember being really annoyed when it was over and my mum kept poking me to try and get me to wake up because I had to leave the hospital!

Diagnosed July 2009 with "the earliest case of Crohn's they had ever seen.

On Pentasa, singulair, seratide, ventolin, acidophillus, super multi vits.

03-31-2010, 10:43 AM   #25
katiesue1506

I always get put out with Versed, Fentanyl and Phenergan
04-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #26
MikeinBklyn
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I don't know what they use but off to sleep I go. I've been out for colonoscopy, endoscopy and abscess/seton surgery.

Best sleep you can get.
04-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #27
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
I've had too many colonoscopies to count (since I was @7!).....no idea what was used when I was a child, but as a young adult, it was valium and demerol.....I was kind of awake and got to watch...kind of cool.....

The Dr/hosp I go to now uses 'NORA' - non-operating room anesthesia.......demerol and propofol - as soon as the demerol goes in I start feeling loopy/tired- the propofol and I'm OUT until I wake up in recovery...they also don't leave the same amount of air as my previous Dr.......

My Dr does also usually take LOTS of biopsies due to how long I have had this disease (30 yrs plus).......keeping an eye out for cancer etc.....

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
04-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #28
krs2

I have had 4 procedures so far and they tell me each time it's "Twilight Sedation". Basically you fall asleep, don't feel pain and don't remember anything. All I remember is them telling me they're injecting the medicine, and then I wake up en route to the recovery room/in the recovery room. I'm in the US btw

I think GA is very rare for a colonoscopy. As far as I know, general anesthesia requires a breathing tube, so if you don't get intubated or at the very least a full breathing mask, I don't think you're getting GA
04-15-2010, 11:44 PM   #29
5 iron

knocked out USA,they gave me the date rape drug,i think thats what the nurse told me i don,t remember much.
04-16-2010, 03:10 AM   #30
merrywidow
mum with a dogdy tum

i had sedation when i had a bowel. but with a stoma i have nothing. no pain. as a stoma has no feelings, poor thing, is soulless.

fred (stoma) was born on sept 10th 2003

life is like a loo roll, the nearer to the end you get the faster it goes.

memories are what makes life, life is what makes memories, make them good

sharon x

Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Did you have colonoscopy under general anaesthetic?