• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The Best Thing You Ever Ate

Nyx

I was watching the Food Network last night and they had on a show "The Best Thing You Ever Ate". It happened to be about fried foods (I was drooling!), but it got me to thinking...what's the best thing I ever ate? I have to say the Chicken Parmigiana at Casa Mia's in Barrie is the absolute best thing I've ever eaten!

How about you?

I'd have to say this one time I went diving and the guides had collected lobster tails while we were out. They cracked them open and put them on ice sprayed with lemon and lime juice and we ate them on the ride back to port.

Raw Iced Lobster with lemons and limes so fresh we were still drying off! It has stayed up at the top of my list for 20+ years now :)

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
OMGILOVEFOOD!!
I think it's hard to pick the best thing EVER.
I LOVED a fried green tomato sandwich that I had on my honeymoon is Sanibel Island, FL. It had this awesome red pepper sauce on it. Mmmmm.
It was at Gilligan's, but they are closed now =/

I had this totally yummy cheese baked in phyllo dough in Lake George too. Sometimes I think it's the location that makes the food just a little bit better.

Last edited:
ohhh man, that awesome juicy charcoal cooked cheeseburger with oozing cheese, red tomatoes, dill pickles, crispy lettuce and mayo/ketchup/mustard mix. mmmmm

ameslouise

I agree with MBH that the location and/or timing makes food taste better.

Levi and I still drool about the "tiny squeeds" we had on our honeymoon in Cannes. They were sauteed in butter and garlic and were just heavenly. They were spelled "squeeds" on the menu and that is how we always refer to them!

Haha, Ames. I love that.

It's hard for me to pick the best thing I ever ate, but it might possibly be the fresh Asiago sourdough pretzel I had at Firkin in Libertyville, IL. The whole meal was the best meal I've ever eaten. But the pretzel I think was my favorite.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I gotta say the KEG, and I am due... once a year we go, for a filet mignon and their cheesecake, yeah, I know, but once a year ain't gonna kill me and trust me soooooooooooo worth it! :) Used to have a spanish coffee with it but not on Methotrexate I wont.

That's a tough question there

I can't really narrow it down that easily

would hav to be either sticky date pudding, or satay beef sticks from the local Chinese shop
there two things that come to mind
tho don't think they'd work well together lol

Pen... mention of the cheesecake has set me thinking again - obviously too much brain fog on my first post

I've always had a sweet tooth and the desserts always do it for me more than the savoury dishes. Sometimes I think I should just go for a starter dish and then have two desserts

Baked cheesecake is as close to perfection as it gets

Astra

We went on a cruise around the Med, my god! the food is amazing! You get fed 6 times a day! The waiters serve you, then seronade you!
Anyway, one night on board, at midnight, the chefs had made the most awesome statues made out of chocolate, there were fountains, profiteroles, cakes,sweets, candies, you name it! And you walked around just eating whatever you wanted, so fab!
Knocked spots off Willy Wonka!
I will never forget that magical moment, felt sick after tho! lol

Nyx

omg...deep fried turkey...haven't tried it, but have seen it on the Food Network..looks yummy!! I'd be all over eating the skin! lol

the skin will make me do bad things to people. I stip it when it gets to the kitchen,,, the back is great cause no one carves the meat off it... SKIN GALORE!!!!!!!

I almost had my bowel perforated by a colonoscopy once. I couldn't eat for an extra few days.

The piece of toast that a nurse made for me when I could finally eat again will probably stick with me for ever.

I also love the BBQ Ribs from TGI Friday's ;)

It's a tie between my Dad's grilled steaks and his pralines. I can only have pralines when in remission, but my Dad's steaks are to die for! They don't need any sauce they're that good on their own! I don't know his recipe, but no restaurant I've ever been to has bested his steak!

plain cheese deep dish pizza (i'm boring, I know!)
and I once had this fabulous pasta dish from a small restaurant, I don't remember where. It had artichokes (LOVE) and bocconcini, grape tomatoes, lots of olive oil and basil... I think I'm forgetting something, but regardless it was amazing!

I have to say the best thing I ever ate was, as bad as it sounds, a 49 cent cheeseburger from a place called Fast Eddies. I had gone a few weeks vomiting up everything - including water - and I figured I might as well have the one my brother was offering me, because it was going to come up anyways... I held everything down after that cheeseburger. Kinda makes me wonder what was in that burger, but it allowed me to start keeping things down and started me on a long road to recovery - also held off my surgery for a couple of years!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Dustin ever try the burgers from the famous weber's??? They were so lined up they put a bridge across the hwy,, they are good but lost in translation over the years, in the beginning they were amazing!

I have had their burgers a couple of times - every time we go to a friends cottage, we stop in there on the way up... and sometimes on the way home! I never had the burgers in the beginning - I only moved to Barrie in 2003. There was a Webers on the lakeshore in Barrie for a couple of years, but it is gone now - it wasn't anything like the original Webers though.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Yeah I hear ya, but we used to have a cottage in Haliburton, and some times we stopped but we always went to the Fruit stand place for sure. Weber's was originally called Paul Weber's in the 70's lol.

Nyx

I just drove by Weber's this weekend on the way back from Calgary....it was busy even now..and it's not even cottage season yet! I never liked their burgers, didn't think they were anything special. I make amazing burgers...beef, turkey, or chicken...now my mouth's watering! lol

Hey Cindy,
Any time you want to make an extra one of your amazing burgers.. drop it off at the south end Winners on a Saturday - I'm almost always on a register between noon and 6pm. LOL =)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
violetcreams said:
My Nanna's freshly baked scones, hot from the oven, oozing with melted butter.

Thanks alot!! Thanks to your post I drooled all over my keyboard may never get back on here again :ylol2: :ylol2:

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Well now I guess I have to get my hubby on the bread making machine and make french bread lol... I'd tell ya to throw me some but I dont like wet scones lol.

Nyx

Dustin said:
Hey Cindy,
Any time you want to make an extra one of your amazing burgers.. drop it off at the south end Winners on a Saturday - I'm almost always on a register between noon and 6pm. LOL =)
I may just do that Dustin...you'd be MORTIFIED....lol