Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » When constipated wha should I eat?

03-31-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
blah161

When constipated wha should I eat?

I don't know if I should stay away from fruits or eat more and its the same with high fibre foods when I'm constipated. Some sites say to stick to soft foods so as not to irritate the bowel but others say to eat as much as fibre as possible. What do you do?
03-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
Lydia

It depends why you are constipated. If its because of inflammation or a stricture almost blocking you off, then you want to eat a low residue diet. If its because there is not enough fiber, which is the case with most "normal" people then you want to increase fiber. I know that I almost gave myself an obstruction eating high roughage foods while severely inflammed.
03-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
kenny

canned: peaches, Mandarin oranges and Mango. I find the canned stuff is easy on the gut and will pass through most inflammation. I also gobble up the tuna or salmon sandwiches and poach or broil fish for dinner.

For me I find the higher Omega 3 with very little omega 6 cuts the inflammation down and gets me back to regular. I do the fiber thing like Shreddies, Oatmeal and 100% whole wheat bread once things are back to normal. But having had surgery not so long ago I am still cautious of putting too much fiber through the pipes. It just adds more bulk and if you are inflamed that does not help.

Diagnosed July of 2009 / Surgery Oct 2009 / 175mg Imuran since Jan 2010
03-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
theend2

Clear liquid diet for 2 days.
DX: Diabetes April 2010

Meds:
Did not work:
Apriso caused bad joint pains.
mesalamine - Asacol
6-mercaptopurine
azathioprine AZA
Entocort EC
Sulfasalazine
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate

YES these are working:
Prednisone 40-60 mg daily. Down to 10/20mg
Cortfoam enemas
Protonix 40mg
Pain meds as needed.

Vitamin's:
Calcium
Vitamin D

03-31-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
Swirl

FIBER makes me go more!
04-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
Mazen

Try drinking more water. Also Rose Hip tea with some honey helps

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » When constipated wha should I eat?