• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy prep

X

xrayzerase

just wondering if anyone here has used the pills instead of the horrible gallon drink as prep for colonoscopy?

i took the pills (visicol) 32 through the day--3 every 15 minutes-(take up to 20) then-hours later-take the other 12 (every 15 minutes)
it is horrible-and the last 3 were hard for me to get down (have to drink a lot of water too..)
but-personally-i found it MUCH better than the gallon jug...

Kev

Hey Xrayerase...

Didn't know there was another option.. What was the name of these miracle pills?
Gotta admit, the gallon of prep leaves a lot to be desired... I suggested to my GI that medical staff undergo this procedure periodically, just for 1st hand experience

Needless to say, my suggestion didn't go over well

Look forward to reading if anyone else has used these pills. How much water did you have to drink? I mean, not just to wash down the pills..but did they say that you had to drink a certain amount anyway? Like, if so, was there really a benefit?

Or was there any other info? Like, did they say that it would improve conditions of the scope procedure? Or be a detriment? (i.e. did it do a thorough clean out for
the scope) Would hate to have to repeat it if it didn't, or didn't let them see enuff

Thanx

Kev

X

xrayzerase

hey kev
my mom told me about the pills-so-when my gi told me i needed a scope (like 3 or so weeks ago) i asked about the pills instead of the drink.
he said-no problem.
there are a few kinds out there-but they all seem the same. i used visicol.
my biggest concern was not getting everything out-and i would have to redo it...but-it works--definitely. it is still really horrible...but-by far--much better than the drink. (as far as a "better-clean" than the drink--i think they are pretty much equal)
you take 3 pills with a full 8 oz glass of water every 15 minutes (til you take 20 pills-the last would be 2 pills) then you take the other 12 around 8 hours later. it is important to watch the clock-to make it every 15 minutes-not less or more--but..it isn't hard to do that. (again-with these next 12 pills-take 3 every 15 minutes w a glass of water)
after say the first 6 pills-you will start in on going to the toilet room a thousand times. i started around noon-ended around 10 pm-(with the 2 phases) -and didn't sleep that night-(ofcourse-due to going to toilet)-and couldnt have water from 4 am til noon the next day (long because i also had an endoscope the same day--otherwise-you can drink up to i think 4 hours before the colonoscopy--it is no drink 8 hours before for the endoscope (at least that is the guideline my dr gave me)
i didnt want to drink after the first round of 20 pills-but-it is good to have a drink of water (full 8 oz glass) once every 30-60 minutes in between rounds--(or whenever you feel dehydrated). otherwise-it was the last round-last 3 pills that were hardest for me to take-the thought of more water was an awful thing..but-i didn't want to have to go through this all over again too soon-(and not get all out of colon etc)--so-got it all down. i felt nauseaus--but never got sick. i did drink a glass every 60 min through til 4 am--it both helped and was horrible..but--it is the every 15 minutes that got me..
still-i'd do it again. prefer it way more than the drink. (that's just me..but--for anyone who hasnt tried the pills-if it is ok with your dr-it is worth checking in to)
with the drink-even though it wasnt set up in "rounds" and time-periods--i admit i never got all the drink down. i was lucky-and got through that colonoscopy--but..that drink-the worst thing ever...as i'm sure everyone knows...
i hope this helps...sorry so long--
there are sites for visicol and others that tell "less rambly" how to "do" the pills--but--figured i'd add how they made me feel etc--and that they do work. (if your dr says they are ok for you-they are definitely worth asking about..)
it would be interesting to hear how others did with this pill-if they tried it etc..
i wish they could make one of those capsule cameras that would dissolve and take the place of these scopes...maybe someday...

Last edited:

Kev

Hey Xrayerase... Thanks for the update. So, by my crude calculations (based on my memory of a US gallon at being 128 fluid ounces - we've gone metric up here, think 4 litres is pretty near equiv. of US gallon, but not the old British Imp Gallon 160 ounces)
you drank a total of 10 (6 + 4) approx. 8 ounce glasses of water with the pills taken.
Plus maybe an extra glass or two to prevent dehydration... Seems like a lot less to put into your body than the gallon/4 litre... Have to see if they sell visicol up here...

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I have only done the liquid version. I have done it 2 times at home and about 4-5 times in the hospital. Both times at home I had the pinapple version, and in the hospital I had fruit punch version. I found the hospital version (or the fruit punch flavour) MUCH easier to take, and caused no problems (well, it did make me go to the washroom a lot :D).

In the future I would always try and get the fruit punch version, but I guess it is best to try both and see what works best for you.

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
I could take any number of pills and water rather than the salty prep. from the gallon. And their flavorings, not helpful, either. I ended up throwing up half of it. Like I said, pills and water, no problem. When I have to do it again someday, I'm voting for that!

X

xrayzerase

the prep still sucks...but--well-in my mind-it is way better doing the pills/water than the horrid awful taste of that gallon drink. i couldnt even finish it..i would have gotten so sick.
even if the water intake (w pills) equals out to the gallon size---you still get to avoid that horrendous taste of the gallon drink..ewwww-that stuff--well-any prep for colonoscopy-is a total nightmare...

V

Valentina

is there an alternative yet for the enema they make you do before the short scope?! ;) lol

V

Valentina

p.s. only liquid prep so far for me as well. will look into those pills next time though! thanks for sharing.

X

xrayzerase

Valentina said:
is there an alternative yet for the enema they make you do before the short scope?! ;) lol
ha!!!!!!
tho..can't say that for sure..i never had a sigmoidoscopy as of yet --hope not to-i hear you don't get put into la-la land while it gets snaked in..
as for the enema..had those..don't "like" them..but-compared to some other stuff..i can deal with the enema part of it..(the fleet one right? squeeze in liquid one?)
hmm..maybe a suppository lol pills pills pills ! ;) (probably won't wash out enough though...just..thinking ..(being silly today..)

Kev

You know, I guess it's all a matter of perspective... Just mentioning the prep for a sigmoidoscope brought back some bad memories... At least prepping for the old colonoscopy you do it in private, in your own home.. Be thankful for small favours.
And the pressure from that sigmoidocope 'cuff' or whatever they call it... not good.
Not as bad as a barium x-ray... That's tops my list as the most painful procedure I have ever experienced... No pain meds, no anesthetic, just lay there, move when they tell you, and they keep inflating the bowel AND pumping into you constantly..

X

xrayzerase

hmmmm....interesting
guess it is all personal..
i just had the barium xrays (upper gi and small bowel)-and..not that i enjoyed it (i hated the barium (regular from straw as well as the cups of thicker barium) and the salt stuff you have to consume and wash down with just a drop of water--and then 1000 xrays and scans-)(the only thing i "liked" was being able to view the scan of the barium going down through my system.) the rest of it: boo hiss.
but for me: it is the prep for the colonoscopy is by far the most dreaded (drink is worst-but pills still are horrible)--
i somehow suspect it would be the sigmoidoscopy i'd dislike even more-as-the being "awake" part doesn't sound good at all...and --that cuff you mention..that sounds awful...
isn't this whole thing a ton of fun?
ps:
kev..just realized..is it the barium enema xray you had?
i didn't have that one..i guess they are by far very different--sounds horrible..i hope to avoid that sort as long as possible...

Last edited:

tonya_n_ky

If Kevs talkin about the barium enema , I have to totally agree...that was by far the worst thing I have ever had done. They fill ya up and u roll over and over and over with the tube coming out of ur bum the entire time:eek: ...Not fun at all. Although I just had a colonoscopy last Friday and the thought of the prep still gags me. I'll ask about pills next time

tonya_n_ky

I asked my GI about the pills just for knowledge and he said he doesn't use them because they leave a residue that looks very similar to inflammation during a colonoscopy.

hello, pills any day, that stuff you are supposed to drink is downright horrible, and I can't keep it down comes right back up. no wonder

~~~HUGS~~
:panda:

I was enraged when I found out there was a pill way to do it. The liquid is absolutely horrible. I don't even mind the pooping all the time, becuase I do anyhow, but drinking that nasty-eww it gives me the chills just thinking about it- i can still taste it if i think about it. GROSS

tonya_n_ky said:
If Kevs talkin about the barium enema , I have to totally agree
Yikes! Yeah, thankfully I've only had that once and hope to never have to have it done again. I'll take the gallon "sports drink" and the colonoscopy anyday compared to that. When they pulled out the...well, we all know what that thing looks like...like something out of certain catalogues, I woulda crapped if there had been anything in me at the time. And then when it's all done they take it out and say, okay now try to make it to the bathroom, it's right over there. And I go :awe:

I had a sygmoidoscopy once too and I swear I left my fingerprints permanently imbedded into the rail on the bed they had me in.

Far as the pills go, I haven't had them. Though I gotta admit, I don't recall using the drink the last time I had a colonoscopy. Can't remember though what I did do. Hm, well they say your mind's the first thing to go... ;)

K

kpratte

I've only done two different preps.. The college drinking game (the 1 gallon jug) of GoLYTELY (who comes up with these names, I would have called it go-heavily) and Fleet Phospho-soda.

The GoLYTELY tastes like salt water and after a bit I just can't do it. The Phospho-soda is absolutely horrid tasting but you only drink it twice and I wash it down with apple juice after to get rid of the taste (they say wash it down with water, but you really need something to kill the taste). With the Phospho-soda you have to drink lots of liquids during the day but you get your choice of what you want to drink like apple juice, gatorade, popsicles and things of that nature. Done the Phospho-soda many times and it's just much nicer on my system.

- Ken