• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Extreme pain, left side, new problem. HELP =(

OMG why am I always the one who gets the new problems?? Is what I have just not enough..??

3 days ago I was starting to get minor jabs, in my left side just below the ribs.

However, I am currently experiencing a full blown attack. And it has had be sitting here in tears for the last 20 minutes, and believe it, it takes a LOT of pain before I get weepy. My whole side/half-way up the side is burning me from the pain. I can't even touch it.

Remember I still have the off/on fevers, and the nearly throwing up, and i've been barely peeing (usually I have to go every 2 hours, or not lesss...today I've gone a whole 3 times). And it is the colour orange...

I have been drinking a smany fluids as possible (since i'm also getting those days where everything goes right through), so I'm not dehydrated.

I'm DEFINITELY going to the hospital tomorrow night, as soon as I get back home.

Give me your thoughts, please. The only thing I can think of is a kidney stone. But I may definitely be wrong...

I

Isla

Definitely sounds like it could be a kidney stone. Orange urine (meaning dark) means it is concentrated usually from dehydration. It also can be a kidney infection, this is usually caused by a bladder infection or a UTI that is left untreated. You will want to go to an ER right away. I do not mean to scare you, but if you have a kidney stone AND a kidney infection or UTI you can go into sepsis and die if left untreated. I have gotten kidney stones and infections my whole life as I was born with a deformed kidney and urinary system.

The longer you wait (if it is a stone or infection) the more it will hurt and the greater the possibility of damage being done. I have almost died from a kidney infection before, it is nothing to mess around with.

You're right, that does make me more worried now. It still hasn't quite subsided...that spot is just..taking me over. I think I safely call this worse than a gallbladder attack.

I have had kidney infections before, a couple times. But those occassions was the usual pain while urinating and in the low part of the stomach.

21 hours til I can see a doc..

I don't want to sound harsh or uncaring, but between this and the delay of contacting the police about the incident makes me worry you put things off that need immediate addressing. Severe pain is often a sign that something is seriously wrong, and the body is notifying you, that's why the feeling of burning is there, so you don't damage an integral organ too much (the skin). It's a safety mechanism, like sneezing or coughing or watering eyes. Is there a reason you can't go to the ER (or Canadian equivalent)? This worries me, about your wellbeing. Your professors/school should understand if you are in the ER.

Like I said before, I know you're never uncaring (even when it may sound that you are).

The cost of the taxi/cash on hang shortage is my problem tonight...I have one of those 'bowls', that you know you can use to collect either. Through the night I'm going to use that thing. And I'll be drinking even MORE fliuds than usual (which probably isn't good either). If i notice anything worse in the urine, then I'll go to ER. If not, I'll wait to ER at home. The real advantage at home is the know my history so darn well. Any of the 3 doctors. They know i have a history of infections and such..

i really wouldn't take into account about going to a specific hospital that knows you, nor any other factor to be honest. that pain, & your symptoms, i would say warrant a visit to the nearest ER, by whatever means of transport is the quickest.. be it asking a neighbour/friend to take you, or calling an ambulance. i know that might sound a bit over the top, but you sound in a pretty bad way.. delaying might make you worse..

you could jot a few notes on a piece of paper about your history, meds you're on, allergies etc.. just to hand into someone at the hospital - after that all they need to know is what your body is indicating to them, & they will figure that out.

Benson & Isla are absolutely right - don't take chances on this.

The pain did go down during the night, but currently I feel it starting to 'attack' me again. I noticed black specks when I went to the bathroom especially last night/this morning. I don't know if that has to do with any of this, but I'm guessing it does.

I'm going to take a Tylenol 3. See how much that helps it.

Stress can have an identical affect as sleep deprivation, because in essence, it's a cortisol issue, both make cortisol rise, and thusly, mental and emotional and physical stress is the same as lack of sleep on worsening you physically.

I have an extreme infection...said its likely that is what moved up into my left side.

Gave me very strong Cipro (for a week's worth)...

Suspects the orange coloured urine was caused by blood...

Will call me during the week if the lab results show something worse than what he said, if it does he'll call me and up the dosage...and said if anything changes, let them know.

I am lactose intolerant, remember, Pen ;).

And thanks guys...I will keep you updated.

How's this for strong dose: 500 mg, 2x day

Its nice that Cipro helps with the flareups, that is for sure. I'll have a week and a half of relief in that area. Might even be able to sleep on my right side..

Thanks, Drew. I wish I had the time to rest up, honestly. I need one day to just sleep, and nothing else.

I still don't understand why I am not on Cipro all of the time. In a way maybe it is a blessing that I keep getting so many terrible bladder/kidney infections :/

Antibiotics lose efficacy if overused. In other words, excessive use of them will make them lose their effect, and become nearly useless. Not only that, but they kill bacteria (antibiotic means "against life") that are good too, and having that for too long isn't good either.

Cipro was also among one of the antibiotics recently shown to cause ligaments and tendons to snap/break if used for too long a period.

I already do have deteriorating bones/joints from arthritis, remember. So i don't know how much worse a bunch of Cipro can make it.

Ahh such a relief to be pain/flare-free! Honestly, I forgot what it feels like.

I learned by asking why if antibiotics often help me, I'm taken off them after about 3 weeks, why the Rx only lasts that long, and the answer is that that is the threshold on many people when diminishing returns start, but I don't know how true that is, as far as 3 weeks being it.

The only time I was ever on a medication for 3 weeks was prednisone (and that was still the best relief I have ever had). When I get my flareups that send me to hospital, I am given Cipro and/or Flagyl for one week. Never longer.

i was on cipro on and off for over a year. i have a huge collection of the blue spoons that came with it!

i took cipro in liquid form. i mixed little cipro pellets with a gross strawberry-flavored liquid. pills hurt too much because my esophagus was ulcerated. it tasted disgusting! i took 5 ml twice a day. the medicine came with a 5mL blue measuring spoon.

As long as you are taking the Cipro and it is likely killing off some bad bacteria related to Crohn's symptoms, why not fill your gut with some good bacteria at the same time?

I would take some probiotics to replace the good bacteria being killed and to stave off the very common problem of a future yeast infection.

It can't hurt and could help you out quite a bit.

Dan

I would think that'd defeat the purpose. Antibiotics would kill both, and thus, you'd take some probiotics only to kill those off when you take the next dosage of antibiotics.

I

Isla

I think you meant to say "I am a douche"

>run away run away< :runaway:

RHOV said:
i took cipro in liquid form. i mixed little cipro pellets with a gross strawberry-flavored liquid. pills hurt too much because my esophagus was ulcerated. it tasted disgusting! i took 5 ml twice a day. the medicine came with a 5mL blue measuring spoon.
Sounds gross!