• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone get Constipation?

Hi I've just been diagnosed with 'crohn's', thought I had IBS for years but after various tests it was proved I has Crohn's, from what I've read I don't seem typical as I suffer with terrible constipation...is this typical? any tips on diet greatly received!!!

That's just not true. The crohn's = bloody diarrhea is a horrible stereotype that does a lot a harm. Constipation is a perfectly normal symptom. A lot of people fail to get a proper diagnoses because this myth is even prevalent amongst doctors (who on average are nowhere near as knowledgeable as people think).

It usually occurs due to narrowing of the intestines due to scar tissue or inflammation. Since your intestines are more narrow it takes a longer time to push the same amount of food through them. The longer it takes the more dry and hard that food gets and it slows down even more.

It's also possible to have both IBS and Crohn's Disease. Having one greatly increases your chance of having the other.

Last edited:
I too get constipation with my crohn's not diarrhea. I use milk of magnesia and it seems to work pretty good. A lot of people with crohn's have this problem so don't let it fool you.

Hi Nia and Welcome! I too suffer from constipation. Constipation is a big problem for me and because of it, when I first got diagnosed, I was questioning the diagnosis since I had never heard of anyone else suffering from constipation. My GI said mine is due to a stricture that I have. I use miralax and colace per the recommendation of my doc, it had worked pretty good for me up until the past couple of weeks. Not sure if the stricture is getting worse or what.

I have definitely come to learn, that with this disease nothing is the same for everyone. Things that work for one, may not work for another and symptoms vary from person to person.

welcome to our little section of cyberspace! For me it seems to go both ways and at the moment I am suffering from really bad constipation, I think half of that is from the "on pred" to the "off pred" and now once again back "on pred" and my body just hasn't managed to level out. Then again, from everything I have read out of no where the C can easily turn to D over night and then the other way around. I totally agree with what has been already said, this is not the same for everyone and the symptoms you have today can and will be alot different tomorrow or say a year from now. That is the main reason why it takes alot of us so long to get diagnosed to begin with. If things get to bad and over the counter products dont work like everyone has mentioned, talk to your Dr and I am sure they will be willing to put you on something a bit stronger, I have good luck with Milk of Magnesia. I always have that on my bathroom sink tho even if I have D... here is a tip: Use it as a face mask also, it is a super awsome face mask for anti-ageing, I might only be 24 but I feel as tho I can never be too young to start that fight ;)

Last edited:
I'm another member that doesn't have the "D". Once in a while I get one "D" or 2, but never 12 or whatever. Unless I'm doing a prep or am sick. My GI didn't mention anything about a stricture or narrowing, so I'm not sure that's why I have "C", but whatever the reason, that's what I have. I have to say though, since my diagnosis, it's been better. I usually go once a day and it's not nearly as dry/hard as it used to be. It's quite soft and...........um.........skinny? But it's quite difficult to get out. I think I pushed less when giving birth. And that's not much of an exaggeration either!

I questioned the diagnosis too since I didn't have the "typical" symptoms. I still wonder about it, but I see here that many people don't have "D", but have "C" instead. Now I feel a little bit more comfortable in this diagnosis. Or something like that. :)

S

skymgirl

nia said:
Hi I've just been diagnosed with 'crohn's', thought I had IBS for years but after various tests it was proved I has Crohn's, from what I've read I don't seem typical as I suffer with terrible constipation...is this typical? any tips on diet greatly received!!!
You and I are in the same boat - I was just diagnosed last week, and constipation is one of my worst symptoms. In the past I've used Miralax which has helped. (Thought I'm not sure now if that's something I would do - I have to check the fiber in it.) Milk of Magnesia has been helpful, too.

Wow. I too thought constipation with Crohn's was an urban myth. I didn't realise so many people on here have it. I've had Crohn's 14 years and not once have I EVER, not even for a day, been constipated. I just have CONSTANT diarrhoea. It's strange how different symptoms affect different people. I'm not much help to you cos I've no experience with it tho :(

HI I only joined myself yesterday, I go from being C and then in a few days I'll have D. When I am C I hurt on my left side.

karisue said:
HI I only joined myself yesterday, I go from being C and then in a few days I'll have D. When I am C I hurt on my left side.
That sounds exactly like what I go through. There is a section of my decending colon that is as narrow as a ballpoint pen. So, yeah. I feel your pain.

Like the other poster said Milk of Magnesia helps tons. My doc recommends Metamucil in its various forms but I find that if I regularly eat a bunch of whole grains that helps a lot.

I was also corrected by my doc when I called it constipation. He said it is an 'obstructive event' not constipation.

If I eat a bunch cheese, red meat, pork, chicken or a veggie hot dog even I can very backed up. I also have found that if I drink beer it helps relieve these obstructive events cuz beer makes me poop. :smile:

thanks to you all for responding...nice to know I'm not the exception that proves the rule!!! I am definately getting some 'Milk of Magnesia', and the narrowing of my 'tubes' making things hard to move makes sense!!!

thanks all!!!

L

LeafyOYT

actually I do not advocate the use of opiates for crohn's as it can actually cause more discomfort once it has worn off causing constipation and extreme pain!

Ive been constipate not sure if the prednisone i am on is causing it? I usually go to the bathroom 4-5 times a day and my poop is little balls all jumbled up together

~TN~ said:
That sounds exactly like what I go through. There is a section of my decending colon that is as narrow as a ballpoint pen. So, yeah. I feel your pain.

Like the other poster said Milk of Magnesia helps tons. My doc recommends Metamucil in its various forms but I find that if I regularly eat a bunch of whole grains that helps a lot.

I was also corrected by my doc when I called it constipation. He said it is an 'obstructive event' not constipation.

If I eat a bunch cheese, red meat, pork, chicken or a veggie hot dog even I can very backed up. I also have found that if I drink beer it helps relieve these obstructive events cuz beer makes me poop. :smile:

:cheerss:TIME TO START DRINKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:allright:

Alcohol is NOT good for you if you have this problem, in fact this will increase your risk of developing bowel cancer, and even cause more extensive damage from inflaming the bowel itself.

I do not drink for this reason.

If you are constipated there are stool softeners available at your pharmacist, these are usually natural extracts and will not harm you.

If you suffer from the opposite, my personal experience tells me that imodium caused extensive inflammation, and nearly caused me a blockage.

wow got so bad this week, had to take senna pods!!! well lets just say it worked!!!! was worried tho it was one of these 'blockages' I've read about! would I know if I had a blockage??? would it mean I couldn't 'go' at all??

thanks guys for all your tips....nice to know I'm not a freak and on my own!

Leafy2 said:
Alcohol is NOT good for you if you have this problem, in fact this will increase your risk of developing bowel cancer, and even cause more extensive damage from inflaming the bowel itself.

I do not drink for this reason.

If you are constipated there are stool softeners available at your pharmacist, these are usually natural extracts and will not harm you.

If you suffer from the opposite, my personal experience tells me that imodium caused extensive inflammation, and nearly caused me a blockage.
With all due respect this bloody disease causes me enough grief so if a few beers and the odd glass of wine is going to kill me so be it, a little of what you fancy does you good. Ps when you're in enough pain you'll take opiates or anything else that might help.:ycool:

J

jingle

I too have the C. I have had Crohn's for 6 years now and that has always been my problem along with severe pain, fatique, loss of appetite, etc. My gastro dr. actually told me that C is much less common, but it is still a part of Crohns. He said there are only a small amount of his patients with this problem (me being one of them). I find that nothing much works either. Increased fiber doesn't work and it just makes you feel awful. I find that glycerin suppositories work sometimes and they do not cause cramping. I have tried Mirlax several times, but that just goes from one extreme to the other and causes D.

Hi everyone, new to the forum as of today so hoping I can make some positive contributions!

Was only diagnosed with Crohn's in May this year during my first serious flare and hospital admission. Been in and out of hospital since with recurring small bowel blockages and partials and also been suffering from C after years of daily D (was misdiagnosed with IBS in 2007).

I have a stricture in my terminal ileum and was finding that even the strictest low-fibre/low-residue diet was still enough to trigger severe pain and vomiting on a regular basis. Just this week I was prescribed Lactulose Syrup for the C in the hope that I'd have less blockage symptoms. Its a really gentle laxative that draws water into the bowel and softens everything up. Definitely finding it easier to go now but still can't touch bread, pasta, meat or battered anything and have just had 2 days on clear fluids after eating too much mashed potato. I think surgery is calling! :-(

scottsma

Welcome to the forum Lornapops.I'm not going to be much help to you,but I'm sure you'll lots of posts soon.This is the best forum to be on for I.B.D.and you will get lots of advice and support.I have UC.and mostly suffer from D.and urgency,which is no fun and very stressful.But now and again,and for no reason I can think of,I get constipated.I find it equally awful.Immediate back ache,head ache,bloating etc.Up to now Senacot and lots of water seem to do the trick,but it's taking longer than it used to.I hope you get the help that you need and start to improve soon.Best Wishes.

I too have been having constipation lately. In the over 15 years I have been dealing with CD, I have ALWAYS had diarrhea. So, it would seem as though being constipated might feel like a blessing, but it's not. I have strictures, and I can definitely feel them now that my stool doesn't just run through me. I have been having a pretty sever amount of pain in my lower back, an I've noticed that when I have to poop, I feel weird, it's hard to explain, but I almost get a dizzy sensation, and light headed, and then after I have a BM I feel a little better, but everything on the inside hurts as it passes through.