• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Heel N Wheel A-Thon

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Today was the day of my local CCFC Heel n' Wheel A-Thon. This was my second year doing it, and was probably even more enjoyable than the first year!

The course for walkers, runners and bikers is 8km (about 5 miles). I walked most of it, but did run for a bit of it (just to change up the pace a little but :)).

The event is really well organized throughout. From the time you register (and get your event t-shirt, assuming you raised $50 or more) to being able to enjoy a free breakfast of bagels, yoghurt, muffins, energy bars, and assorted fruits and beverages. Throughout the course there are several stations that supply free water, juices and fruit (a refreshing addition to any walk)! Once you are finished the course, you receive a bag with several free samples and coupons. Truthfully it contained a lot of advertisements, but considering the generosity of sponsors everywhere else this is not very much to ask in return of each person. Once back, the fun and food continue with a live band, face painting/clown/other activities for children, snow cones, pizza, hamburgers and hot dogs for all!

And somewhere inbetween all this fun is the truth that this event helps to raise A LOT of money for IBD research. Taken directly from the CCFC website:

"Over the last 11 years the Heel 'n' Wheel-a-Thon has grown from raising $280,000 to $1.375 million for research"

I hope the others involved with this event in Canada are able to share the experiences they have during their events (when they come) and are motivated to continue to fundraise. If there are any local events that differ from this that you would like to tell us about, please do, as it is interesting to see the different things that are done to raise funds for research and awareness on IBD.

cookey

Mama Crohnie
Hi Mike, as you know our walk a thon was today...I raised $1400 dollars, just $100 dollars shy of last year, which is just great. I have the best family and friends ever. Their genoristy touches my heart.The weather wasnt the best here today, at least it didnt rain. I wasnt feeling that well either, but I certainly walked as far and long as I could. We had a great time after the walk, ate and drank my head off, then I had to attend a meeting. Now I'm ready for bed, lol. Glad you had fun today..lets keep this up, it sure is an astonishing amount and one that I hope will suffice in someday finding a cure.

Have a restful evening my friend.

V

Valentina

sorry I missed you Cookey! I did it last year with my mom and sisters, but it was pretty dreadful, was flaring really bad. couldnt do it this year, to much work, but I wish I had. sounds like you raised a lot of money! so congrats to you for that!

cookey

Mama Crohnie
Thanks Val, I wish you could have been there...it would have been nice to meet you. Maybe next year. Hope you're feeling better sweetie.

Big hugs all across town for you coming your way.

S

Sparrow

Went to our Heel N Wheel a thon today and wow was it hot! but a great turn out of people. Got to walk along the Canal here in St. Catharines from the lock 3 Muesem and back, didn't think i would be going because I had a pretty bad migraine a few days before but turned out well and M & M meats where there with free burgers and dogs for everyone and a bunch of prizes from a draw were handed out... after that headed to Dairy Queen for an icecream and now I'm home ready to sleep for a few days :lol: Actually heading out to the Mall to see a sexy celebrity:allright: :applause: :worthy: :ladysman:

S

Sparrow

:( damn Mike thought you were gonna be there and take me out to dinner;)