• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do charcoal-grilled foods bother you?

I had an interesting thought yesterday.

In 2009, I started feeling the terrible pains for the first time the day after we bought a Weber charcoal grill and my brother-in-law was visiting us and cooked us ribs using it.

Most recently, we cooked chicken on the charcoal grill the day before my really bad flares started that ended up in a bowel obstruction.

So, I was wondering if there may be a connection between charcoal and flare-ups. OR if it was just a HUGE coincidence. Curious if anyone has experienced the same thing and/or heard about something similar.

Marisa - Can't really give you a definitive answer, but I can tell you I used to LOVE back ribs done on the grill (made my own sauce, yummy!) as well as strip steaks and center cut pork loin chops. No more. Beef in general doesn't go down well, pork a little better, but I haven't used the grill (propane, in my case) in about 8 months. I've eaten nothing but chicken and fish (in terms of meat) for most of that time. Not sure if the trouble is the grilling itself (even without IBD, all that tasty combustion stuff deposited on the meat is suspect in terms of health effects) or the higher fat content (anyone who knows meat will tell you, it's the FAT that makes it taste so good! That's why lean cuts like tenderloin are so bland) but my gut doesn't like it anymore!

Last edited:
I can't usually eat beef either. I have a Weber grill and it never has caused me issues. What else did you eat or drink when you were grilling?

Well, when we had ribs we also had baked beans (but beans had never bothered me before). This most recent time we had potatoes (without skins) with the grilled chicken.

I will note that the most recent time with the grilled chicken I ate a chargrilled hamburger earlier that day (while we were waiting for my car to get the oil changed) and had soda both times. So, basically I had double chargrilled items and too much soda. But I am still convinced chargrilled may have something to do with it. It just seems like too much of a coincidence otherwise because we don't use the grill that often.

I tend to stay away from BBQ's in general - i will try to bake almost all my foods - it doesnt taste as good but seems to be easier to digest

Hmm, you know what, I'm not sure if charcoal-grilled foods bother me; sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. I don't eat red meat so the only things that I really ever grill are chicken, fish and vegetables. I don't get to grill much so I'll keep an eye on it this summer.

I tend to stay away from BBQ's in general - i will try to bake almost all my foods - it doesnt taste as good but seems to be easier to digest
I haven't used my BBQ since getting sick last June. This year I just ended up giving it away and use the Forman Grill or bake stuff on a cookie sheet. I do miss it a bit but I think it is healthier like you say.