• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flares- frequency and duration

How often do you flare and how long do they last

• I flare more than once a year

Votes: 26 52.0%
  • I flare about once a year

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I flare every couple of years

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • I haven't flared in more than two years

• Other flare

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • My flares last less than a month

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • My flares last 1-3 months

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • My flares last 3-6 months

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • My flares last 6 months to a year

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • My flares last more than a year

• Total voters

Nyx

Since my diagnosis I've only flared twice, but both times wound me up in the hospital and they lasted about 6 months to a year each.

I am still trying to get a handle on what is a flare and what is not for me. I haven't felt truly well for over a year now, but there have been periods of feeling really horrible mixed in with periods of feeling only mildly horrible. I think I may be coming out of it though (fingers crossed).

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I used to go a few years between flares - but each time got shorter and shorter....until finally ending up on Remicade - no major problems since then!

Well, technically I have never been in remission the entire 11 years I've had it. There are times where it gets better and I feel ok, but there is also about once a year that I lose a bunch of weight and end up in the ER/hospital. So it really goes back and fourth for me.

hope that you are feeling better. I'm not sure what constitutes a flare either. My doc describes it as active disease? Good luck to you!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Well its always active but I've had 2 major flares. The first giving me a diagnosis, I was hospitalized for almost 2 months and it took a little over a year to get in remission with the help of lots and lots of Prednisone. My second flare landed me in the hospital again for a few weeks where I was put on Prednisone again and at 65mg for a year they decided it wasn't working and tried another steroid for a few months but I forget its name, and since neither worked and I was simply going downhill, I had my surgery and have been in remission now for 11 years.

So I guess my flares generally last over a year so far.

Seems like I've had flare ups about every 6 months or so for the past few years. I've had to be hospitalized for three of them, and have had to miss a lot of work. I'm still figuring out how to manage this condition, so hopefully I can enjoy more time between flares in the future.

What is a flare???

That is the big question for me as well. Last year when I was DXed I was having a constant stomach ache all the time with diarrhea and fatigue. I am having the same thing going on right now but without the diarrhea. If I get up and do something around the house or go out to lunch with the family my stomach starts feeling pissed off and tells me to knock it off. My first flare lasted for a month but never even came close to putting me in the hospital and neither has this one. It seems to me that there is not a "Right" answer as to what constitutes a flare but a multitude of symptoms that each of us could experience at one time or another...

OBTW...Did I mention that I hate this thing called Crohn's :voodoo:

for me presonally my trigger for a flare up seems to be linked to stress, so depends on the situation and how Im handling it. But when I was seriously stressed out a few years ago I awoke one night with the worst stomache pain Ive ever had. Almost like being shot in the stomache.
In hindsight everyone classes there flare ups differently so as ' RollinontheRvr ' there is no right answer

I think my flare ups are linked to stress also. I've had 4 flare ups since diagnosed in 1996 that lasted about 6 mo each. I can't figure out any other trigger. Stress all job related. I'm 52 and down to high school weight.

Had many flares during the 15 years... BUT cipro/flagyl kept me on remission for few years, then flared for 18 months, then Remicade remission for few years, flare for a year and so on and so forth.

Entchen

Chief Dandelion Picker
I'm now 11 months and 4 days into my first flare, and have been on treatment for 2 months and 2 days. I'd like to think that it will settle down soon.

hi im new to the site im currently having symptoms of ibd i dont know which one it all started 10 weeks ago i woke with a burning pain in left abdomen followed by fast trip to toilet it really hurt it happened a few times after mostly at night it would be worse when laying on my left side,cramping pain that would come and go,i started taking buscopan and it helped abit,not long after whilst on holiday i started gettin dull achey pain mostly in left side,also felt tired early at night,soon after getting back off holiday i lost my appetite and lost weight nearly a stone in 3 weeks i couldnt be bothered to do anything,my stool are now back to normal and have been for the past few weeks,also ive been eating more, got my appitite back but im not putting any weight on at all,the cramping has eased but still get pain when i hold myself if im out and about or usually when i wake up,has anyone had pain in chest area it usually hurts when i lay down,ive got colonoscopy on the 16th aug ive had endoscopy blood tests and ultra sound all normal been to a+e twice but there all saying its ibd and told me there's nothing they can do till colonoscopy,any ideas guys? im just at my wits and its very scary going thro this

I have never been in remission "offically". I have had normal bloodwork, but never normal tests - colonoscopy, Endoscopy, capsule, CT, etc.

But disregarding this tidbit -

I flare on average every 3-6 months.
A bad flare lasts anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months, but the time it takes to recover from them can take forever!

u r getting closer

hi im new to the site im currently having symptoms of ibd i dont know which one it all started 10 weeks ago i woke with a burning pain in left abdomen followed by fast trip to toilet it really hurt it happened a few times after mostly at night it would be worse when laying on my left side,cramping pain that would come and go,i started taking buscopan and it helped abit,not long after whilst on holiday i started gettin dull achey pain mostly in left side,also felt tired early at night,soon after getting back off holiday i lost my appetite and lost weight nearly a stone in 3 weeks i couldnt be bothered to do anything,my stool are now back to normal and have been for the past few weeks,also ive been eating more, got my appitite back but im not putting any weight on at all,the cramping has eased but still get pain when i hold myself if im out and about or usually when i wake up,has anyone had pain in chest area it usually hurts when i lay down,ive got colonoscopy on the 16th aug ive had endoscopy blood tests and ultra sound all normal been to a+e twice but there all saying its ibd and told me there's nothing they can do till colonoscopy,any ideas guys? im just at my wits and its very scary going thro this

Hey there Rob! its true, ur best bet is the colonoscopy.

My Crohn's was dx by colonoscopy, but only after a bunch of other tests. My endoscopy showed inflammation in my stomach, but didn't provide enough info for dx. And the camera pill test just showed damaged tissue. CT's were inconclusive.

:goodluck:

hope the colonoscopy went well and that you find some answers. I am fairly new to this all too and I know how scary it is. For me to be honest this website has made it scarier b/c the people who are on it most are obviously the people for who IBD's have had a major impact on their lives. If you are diagnosed go get a book and read up on it. I read self managing IBD (or something like that) and it really helped to inform yet not scare me. Good luck to you!

I'm going to bump this up. I found it via a google search, and I'd love to see some additional statistics added to the poll results.

Since i have had crohns diagnosed when i was 3 years old i havent been in remission yet :-( i have a flare up at least every 2 weeks maybe more i think it is due to stress and because i work and train with horses it is quite a bit of work, when i am stressed out and it is really hot weather that is when it is at its worst :-(.

I def flare when I am stressing about things. I am sure everyone is pretty much like that. I try very hard not to let things build up in me or I do end up in worse shape. Ya learn to roll with life the older ya get:)

been flaring since feb. stress and usually a cold or flu makes me flare. usually every couple years when i fall off my path of diet exercise and spirituality. i get so stressed i cant focus.when im on my routine i dont have any symptoms.

My worst flares seem to be cyclical and start in late October, either resulting in hospital time and/or last until spring. Might be the stress of the approaching holidays?