• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Seton! Glad to be gone! (Please go away fistula!!!)

Hi, i got my seton removed about 3 weeks ago and it is wonderful! You do get used to it, but was great to say goodbye!
How did anyone go with the healing of a fistula after having one removed? Currently on remicade and flagyl. I am axious about the fistual healing now.
It seems to be going ok, still draining a bit.....does this mean the chrones is still active?

Have the most amazing fiance who is supporting me each step of this new road!!!!

sawdust

Exciting news, Mooch! Feels like you're "missing something," doesn't it? ;)

Did you get instructions from your surgeon or GI? If it's not clear to you, I would give them a call and be sure about what's next and what you can expect now. There are folks here who are closing up fistulas with Remicade (an assumption from your Your Story post and this one), but I would talk to to your doctors about your case specifically.

Welcome to the forum, BTW. :ghug:

Thanks for the reply. Docs said i would know if it wasnt healing and would also feel the hard lump again. I dont feel the lump, its more the leakage. Had a phone consult yesterday as i am worried that it may not be the fistula leaking but coming out of places it shouldnt! Got to do a pee test this week to check for a UTI, but i know its definately not that! This is where i originally thougth the leakge started but assumed after i had the seton put in that it was from that spot (perianal). Ohh the joys of this adventure!

sawdust

Ohh the joys of this adventure!
That's the understatement of the day!

Sounds like you're in good contact with your doc, which I'm happy to hear. I'd keep and eye on the source of the leakage so you can tell him that as well when you know what's going on there. :thumright:

Hopefully, someone can help you out a little more on healing with biologics - mine was was removed with surgery.

i cant have the fistula removed as it is close to the sphincter muscle. Wish i could! I had the other one laid open and the pain was unbearble but worth it in the end. It healed beautifully! How has anyone gone with the waiting to see if it will close? I seem to think about it all the time!

i cant have the fistula removed as it is close to the sphincter muscle. Wish i could! I had the other one laid open and the pain was unbearble but worth it in the end. It healed beautifully! How has anyone gone with the waiting to see if it will close? I seem to think about it all the time!
I had setons in for years, the fistulas were healing nicely and getting lower towards sphincter muscle in the end one seton fell out and the other came undone and i pulled it out by mistake whilst trying to retie it.

But that was last september and I haven't had any discharge or fistula since then.

Having a seton removed is something to celebrate!

After increasing my Humira injection from once every two week to every ten days, the fistula closed up in two days. Thankfully it has been closed for over 6 months.

Flagyl is the pits, I hope never to have to take that horrible drug again, it made me so sick.

Good Luck to all.

Hi everyone,

I had three seton's in, the first went in just over a year ago and I have had them all removed a month ago. I am on Humira and there is still some drainage happening, seems to be heavier after a bowel movement but less since the setons were in. Around where the fissure was, the skin is hard and a little tender (has been that way since before setons were placed). I am just praying that it will heal!
How long does it normally take to heal?
Unfortunately NZ does not yet increase humira injections to anything more than fortnightly for those of us who suffer from Crohn's fissures. And it is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive to buy - costs about $700 per injection.
Does anyone have any advice on how to help it heal after the seton has been removed? eg hot baths, creams? Any help would be much appreciated! My doc is pretty useless, just tells me to get my GP to refer me if it comes back

For all who have had your setons removed, do you have the cutting or non-cutting kind? I have 3 non-cutting seton's and am wondering if it is possible for the doctor to remove them without putting me under? I have had setons removed before to put plugs in but both times I was asleep and there is one of the seton's I am hoping he will remove soon.

meds after seton removal??

Hi! I hear a lot of people mentioning that they are on remicade or humira after removal of fistula. I have not been on meds since after my JPouch placement for uncontroled UC. I am wondering if the meds are to shoo the fistulas away or if they are Crohns management.

i'm on humira for crohn's management and its the only drug available in New Zealand that will deal effectively with the fistulas. So far so good!! I have had them out for two months and no recurrence and possible healing happening!!! :D After four years I hope this is successful!

I have had 2 setons for almost 2 yrs. Im on my 9th ejection of entyvio. This is working very well for me since Remicade made me have a mini stroke after 2nd infusion. There was some confusion about when they were to remove them. My GI doctor was shocked when he found out I still had them. So, to the surgeon Wed and I believe he will just remove them right then. I had the go ahead a year ago by my GI doctor but there was some confusion with the surgeons. I will be so glad when they are out!....Crohns Bites!

Entyvio
6MP

I have had 2 setons for almost 2 yrs. Im on my 9th ejection of entyvio. This is working very well for me since Remicade made me have a mini stroke after 2nd infusion. There was some confusion about when they were to remove them. My GI doctor was shocked when he found out I still had them. So, to the surgeon Wed and I believe he will just remove them right then. I had the go ahead a year ago by my GI doctor but there was some confusion with the surgeons. I will be so glad when they are out!....Crohns Bites!

Entyvio
6MP