• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Severe Acne and UC

My son was been diagnosed with UC in July went on Prednisone and Salofalk. Severe reaction with Acne we decided to take him off both after a full run with Prednisone. A flare began a week later and of course return to the GI and went back on Entocort and Salofalk with great fear. It clears the flare almost instantly Which is great! But the Acne is unbearable so painful on his neck its just draining for him I'm desperate to help him. I know the bowel comes first but its just difficult not to say stop the meds and see what happens again. Any thoughts appreciate your help with this.

hello butterflymom .. what can i tell , i'm a girl and suffring like what ur son suffer that because of predinisone side effects and iam sorry for use it my face fall of acnes and my body from the back even my breasts .. i can't give u any treatment becose i need it 2 ..but i think remicade may it help cuz it help me little ,,,but i will tell u something if it there was flare up the acnes will flare up 2 ..but let ur son stop prednisone ...the god with u

My son was been diagnosed with UC in July went on Prednisone and Salofalk. Severe reaction with Acne we decided to take him off both after a full run with Prednisone. A flare began a week later and of course return to the GI and went back on Entocort and Salofalk with great fear. It clears the flare almost instantly Which is great! But the Acne is unbearable so painful on his neck its just draining for him I'm desperate to help him. I know the bowel comes first but its just difficult not to say stop the meds and see what happens again. Any thoughts appreciate your help with this.
I had terrible acne with prednisone, so I can sympathize with the poor guy! I was covered-it was in my hair, down my neck and chest, and down my back. It was very painful both mentally and physically.

Yes, unfortunately there isn't much that can be done when you are on pred, but I have a few topical options that might help.

First off, see if your doctor will prescribe topical Clindamycin, which is an antibiotic that will help heal the acne. If he can tolerate an oral course of Clindamycin it works great, too, although it also causes bowel issues. Other oral antibiotics that worked well for me are Minocyclin and Sulfa, which didn't give me any bowel issues. This is important because when acne starts moving off the face it is more of a systemic problem which the oral antibiotic addresses.

Second, try probiotics such as Florastor or Culturelle, these really helped me. Also a really good quality vitamin/mineral supplement and extra vitamin A and Zinc will help heal damaged skin. Try to get him off soda and junk food if possible and drink 6-8 cups of spearmint tea, which really helps clean out the system and will also lessen any bloating he might experience from the pred. It also soothes the tummy, too.

Third, and I can't stress it enough, he really needs to keep his hands off his skin, which I know is hard when its so painful, but it spreads the infection. Acne with pred is not like normal acne, and it spreads really easily. Change his towels and pillow case daily, and when he dries his face, have him just pat it, no rubbing or scrubbing, it irritates it more.

I'm not trying to advertise anything but what worked for me is Acne.org-they have a gentle but extremely effective kit that is a little pricey but worth it; be sure to get the kit with the AHA lotion, too. Have him follow the directions the guy who started the website Dan gives in the videos, very helpful. Also he should bathe in 10% Benzoyl peroxide soap and wash his hair in Head and Shoulders shampoo-these help heal the acne on the neck or on the scalp. Have him use white towels or it can bleach colored ones.

You need a solid 6 weeks of regular use before you notice results with this type of acne. I know its hard to be patient, but consistent use of these treatments is essential.

Sorry its a little lengthy of a post-I hope this helps your son, it's so awful to go through being sick and then this on top of it. If you would like to pm me I can give you more info if you wish. Best wishes to you both!