• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Alcohol while on Humira?

rygon

There hasnt been any studies on alcohol and humira, but i think people can without any side effects, but if you cant drink it now I doubt it will make you well enough to drink again

I drink Stella Artois while on Humira. Two seems ok but more than three in one evening gives me D the next day. I love my Stella

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

I was never a drinker. Since I went on Humira (18 months this March) I had exactly 3 drinks. 1) A glass of wine on January 2011 2) A margarita last summer 3) A sweet Martini a week ago. I never had any side effects, but I hate the taste of alcohol so much that having Crohns was the perfect excuse to quit drinking alltogether.

Getting a bad reaction from drinking a couple of glasses of wine was my first signs of IBD, Seriously bad hangover from 2 glasses and I haven,t had a drink since. But I do think if you can eat a reasonable meal then a glass of wine might be ok in the mix . Other people have told me this . For me i aint taking the chance,it aint worth it.

PsychoJane

I did not have any issue when I was only on Humira. I could have a few drinks with no concerns. I avoid beer except microbrewed ones because I don't tolerate the industrials very well, no problem with wine or a few cocktails on my side.

I don't have any problems mixing the two. They haven't really studied the effects, but going from my (lack of) reaction I'd say you'll be as ok as you were before Humira...

never had a drinking problem with Humira.
Emily you are the only other person I have seen that uses Welchol.
Is it because you have no gallbladder or the whole bathroom issue? The reason I ask is my GI put me on it a year ago and honestly I don't take the whole dose because it gives me headaches and bad reflux. How do you prevent this?

Hey Marcy I take the Welchol for bile binding to help with diarrhea issues. I don't know if it helps that much but I also don't have any problems with it. Maybe you can take a smaller dose? I thought taking 4 was a huge pain so I'm down to 1 a day.

They had me on 625 mg 2 pills 2 times a day. I cut that in half and the headaches subsided but the reflux was horrible even with using zantac 150 2 times a day. As for helping with the diarrhea it didn't do much for me in that area. Thanks for the input I guess I am not the only one who thinks that dosage is so high.

I take Humira weekly. And have gone out one or 2 saturday nights a month and drink alcohol. At least5 rum n coke's. Never had a problem I noticed. I also take my Humira shot on usually Wed. or Thurs. so it gives me a few days before I drink.

They had me on 625 mg 2 pills 2 times a day. I cut that in half and the headaches subsided but the reflux was horrible even with using zantac 150 2 times a day. As for helping with the diarrhea it didn't do much for me in that area. Thanks for the input I guess I am not the only one who thinks that dosage is so high.
I think it depends on what's causing the D. and how bad it is, along with other things, I'm sure. I haven't read about any side effects like yours, but I don't doubt you - we are all so different, no one can tell another about things like that.

In my case, 6 a day controlled my worst D, and caused no side effects. Being able to taper down with the Welchol means I'm getting better because of the Humira, IMO.

I'm just sharing my own experience, hope it helps illuminate the subject for those who read. It can be so totally different for different people.

Humira and Alcohol

I started Humira injections for Crohn's on 12/23/2013. During the week of 1/20/2014, I noticed that a glass of wine would cause dizziness as if I had 3. During a flight, I lost all memory after a 3rd drink. I do not recall the next several hours. I have not had this occur in the past and would call this a blackout.
I know that alcohol responsibility could be discussed, but I wish to find out if others have had a similar issue.
The Humira site states that no official studies have been done with respect to the interaction of Alcohol. Is this possible because in some people, the affect is significant such as mine?

Thank you for any response.

Hi HumiraJoe,

Welcome to the Forum.

All I can add to that posted previously is that I have not experienced this problem. I think that there's some foundation to Alcohol having more impact during a flight due to reduced Oxygen availability. I'm sure that others who are more knowledgeable will correct this statement if it's wrong. I guess that for whatever reason that your tolerance seems to be reduced, and you just need to take it easy for a while and see how you go.

Regards,

Mark