• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Gluten, Sugar, and Dairy Free Banana Bread

David

Co-Founder
Who doesn’t love banana bread? And we all know the benefits of bananas on the bowels. Of course, most recipes out there for banana bread are chock full of gluten and sugar which for many of us erases any potential benefit. I personally choose to remove sugar from all my recipes for a variety of reasons. And I finally came up with some delicious banana bread that works with honey. Hurray! And just as importantly, this recipe is gluten and dairy free. I personally found that brown rice flour is a great substitute for all purpose flour. You should be able to get it at a health food store like Whole Foods.

Ingredients

* Four ripe, mashed bananas
* 1/3 cup melted vegan butter (you can find this in the dairy section of health food stores
* 1 cup honey (try to find raw, local honey)
* 1 tsp of vanilla (make sure it is vanilla without corn syrup in the ingredients!)
* 1 egg
* 1 tsp of baking soda
* A small pinch of salt (I prefer sea salt with no anti-caking agents)
* 1.5 cups of brown rice flour

Preparation

One of the best aspects of this delicious recipe is that it is super easy, there’s no need for any fancy mixer. Simply preheat your often to 350 degrees F (or 175 degrees C) and break out a large mixing bowl and your trusty spoon. Mix in the smashed up bananas, your melted vegan butter, and then your honey, egg, and vanilla. Toss in your baking soda then the salt and mix everything up real good. Mix with both hands a little bit so that your don’t create asymmetries in your body. Yes, seriously. Once all that goo is mixed up, then add your flour and mix it in real good. I then like to coat my 4×8 bread pan with my favorite anti-stick agent, pour in the banana bread batter, and bake at 350 for one hour. Yank your bread out, let it cool, or if you’re like me, grab it right away, burn yourself a little, and enjoy your delicious bread right away.

Picture below :) I realize it’s not the prettiest looking banana bread you’ve ever seen, but I can assure you, it sure tasted good! You can play around with this recipe by adding walnuts, carob chips, or any other ingredient to contour it to your taste buds. I have no doubt you’re going to love this banana bread!

Attachments

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I use a very similar recipe when I make banana bread, David! I use regular flour and butter, but everything else is the same. It's super yummy! The last time I made it, I added some finely chopped fresh peppermint and that came out really well. I've added cinnamon to it too and that is also delicious.

Edited to add: This recipe works great for muffins too, and the good part about that is that they only take 20 to 30 minutes to bake!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Well I made it and ready 30 mins. I used reg flour cause I didnt have enough rice flour or tapioca flour...used reg butter, I had to get it made or the bananas were going to be tossed. Also put reg salt and added cinnamon.

David you are sooooooooooo in trouble, I used my husband's "local: honey and I dont think I can get another container..now what am I gonna do? :nonono:. Pray I find more!

Will let you know how it turns out.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I love it, just had some but changed a few things until I get rice flour. I heated up the honey because my hands can't do it alone. I also sifted the flour. I put cinnamon in it and my banana bread came out really pretty ;) . Slicing it up to put in the baggy and freeze it before it is all gone. Great my daughter is coming...gotta hide it! She finds everything!:shifty:

rygon

Ive never heard of cup measurement before. Guess it is a dumb question but how big is this cup?

Is this the size we are looking at

rygon

We normally use weight to measure, thinking putting stuff in a measuring glass is going to be a tad hard.

Also david the bananana bread looks great but did you actually cut it or just use your hands?

I just made banana bread the other day :)

Mine is not dairy free. I used plain organic butter. I also used peanut flour instead of rice flour. Yum :)

Rygon,

Just seen your post. If you need to convert from cups to weight, then just "Google" Cups to Grams. There are plenty of websites that will help you.

Alternatively kitchen supply departments of a lot of shops have cup measure in the UK.

Mark