• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Basil cells anyone

Just curious....I have a small basil cell on the top of my head? Has anyone had to chg meds cause of this? I'm on mercapturine, allopurinol and pentassa. Oh and vitamins..anyone?:ybatty::ybatty::ybatty:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Never had them, just looked it up (didn't see your thread, sorry for the late reply). Seems like you can get Basal cell carcinoma from sunlight and a weakened immune system or even a family history of cancer. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/basal-cell-carcinoma/DS00925/DSECTION=causes

I don't know if it was the meds but I do know that you should limit the amount of time you're in the sun with 6MP (and possibly the other meds, certain ones are known to increase your risk or cancer, but what doesn't these days?) or at least wear a 30 SPF or higher sunblock (they have a spray now which my work well on your head).

I know my grandpa gets some type of skin cancer on his head (probably that) and his GP just freezes them off. There are many different ways to treat it so I'd start with removal and then increase prevention (read through that link above) and tell your GI about it if you haven't already and if it keeps happening then who knows, you may need a med change but I'm not certain.

Hi! I just searched "Basal" and found you...I just posted on the board...I have had 13 basal cells all removed with Mohs. I'm tired of getting my scalp cut open!

Just curious....I have a small basil cell on the top of my head? Has anyone had to chg meds cause of this? I'm on mercapturine, allopurinol and Pentasa. Oh and vitamins..anyone?:ybatty::ybatty::ybatty:
I've had a few basil cell spots removed from my upper face and ears-being fair skinned and not using sun screen didn't help.

Photosensitivity is one of the listed common side effects of Pentasa AND of mercapturine. You might want to keep a wide brimmed hat handy-that's even better than sunscreen for protecting someone's head-and doesn't need to be slathered on several times a day.

I've had a few basil cell spots and other precancerous ones removed from my upper face and ears-starting in a direct line below where a baseball cap ends. Being fair skinned and never using sun screen BEFORE moving further South, spending more time in the midday sun and starting on Pentasa didn't help. Ultimately switched from a baseball cap to a western style hat for much of my outdoor work about 2 years ago. Oh and started to pay attention to wearing UV protective sunglasses more often too-after getting a couple problem areas very close to the eyes frozen and/or biopsied.