• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Much Ado About Nothing! eh!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
All schools require uniforms here...public, independent and private.

Scots College is a private boys boarding/day school. Private schools usually have their own uniform shops and you have to buy everything from them including shoes and backpacks.

How long has it been that way? It just seems to have come into play around here in the last five years. Before that the schools had lists of what was allowed and what wasn't but the actual outfit wasn't dictated. Both my kids came through before for the khaki/polo rules but of course both went to military school in Grade 6 so then uniform was required. We have to buy their military dress from their bookstore, shirts, gym clothes, shoes, pants along with insignia, nametags, rank and such.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
At least since the start of the last century as far as I know.

How do you guys feel about a uniform or stricter rules when it wasn't a previous requirement?

I heard alot of the parents in the district had a problem with it. I remember there were several public school meetings about it and many fought the implementation. I think after the first year all the ruckus died out.

When my daughter was in high school she said she would never make it on time at the public school for picking out outfits and getting ready, since at her school the girls have to wear their hair off their shoulder(either cut to that length or put up). She said she was glad she didn't have to go through all the trouble of getting ready.

crohnsinct

Surely you jest Dusty. This is AMERICA...the home of the FREE and the brave and the stylish (yes that is in the original anthem). It is our RIGHT to wear whatever we want to school and not have our individual expression taken away from us...as long as it doesn't distract someone else from their ability to learn. We went to war to preserve that right!

Now my personal opinion...BRING IT ON! I LOVE uniforms...no distraction or teasing over clothes..easy to get dressed in the morning...save money and so on and so on. Tessa went to private school the first two years and we LOVED the uniform. It was a nightmare on days off picking out clothes to wear. She was just saying the other day that she wants a uniform back. I so wish our district would go to uniforms BUT it is everyones hobby showing off their style and labels so doubt it will happen anytime soon:(

Tesscorm

Staff member
Our public elementary schools do not have uniforms. We have two publicly funded school systems - regular public and Catholic public. Regular public high schools do not have uniforms, Catholic public high schools usually have a basic uniform - gray/navy/black slacks, plain white tops.

My kids went to a Montessori (private) elementary school and they had uniforms. Both went to a regular public high school and I distinctly recall my daughter (who loves clothes!!) really missed the convenience of uniforms. She felt she had to 'dress up' for school, had to have certain clothes, etc. She even wrote an essay in grade 9 or 10 discussing the merits of school uniforms (can't imagine she won many popularity points there! :lol:)

There's been talk, meetings, votes, etc. here to implement uniforms at all schools but, so far, no go... although there have been certain schools that have agreed to 'test' uniforms for certain time periods (not sure of response...)

I LOVE school uniforms! My kids spent a few years in public school, where they did not have uniforms, and then we switched them to a private school which has a uniform. Definitely prefer the uniform and so do they.

Dusty, I once saw a girl waiting for a bus in Brisbane and I couldn't figure out why she was dressed so unusually... until my sister informed me that it was a school uniform. I was so surprised at how different the uniforms were from what we have here. They looked something like this...

Attachments

crohnsinct

OK so "No Tush Talk Tuesday" didn't work so I declare tomorrow "No Wenches Wednesday" Talk to you all Thursday...yeah right.

twiggy, love the alien smiley. Don't think I've ever seen that one.

We need that on the forum. Really need to get David to give us the dancing poo and alien one. Haa, haa!

...and of course, Robert still needs his shock button installed...

DustyKat

Super Moderator
You're too damned late crohnsinct! If it was no wenches Wednesday I would be at the start of the line but it is already well into Wednesday afternoon here!

@Naturelover...I love my knobby knees! That's way I am showing them off! :)

@Twiggy...Yep, that is a pretty stock standard uniform for a private school. This is the uniform my kids school, public, has...

Attachments

Catherine

The uniform dusty posted is similiar to my girls winter uniform

The year 7 girls are unhappy that their skirts have to be mid way between the knee and the ankle. They also not pleased that there tie has been replaced with a crossover. New uniform rules this year.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Our uniforms were almost identical (different colour:)) although the tie and blazer were only required on 'formal' days - every Monday, school trips, Remembrance Day, Canada, day, etc. Other days, they had the same bottoms but had a choice of tops - golf shirts, sweaters, turtlenecks, etc. Girls could choose between a skirt, skort or pants.

Catherine - our girls used to be upset about the skirt length as well :) As soon as they stepped out of school, they'd be rolling up the skirt at their waists! :lol:

crohnsinct

OK all this talk about uniforms is giving me the hives. I declared to my girls (for the umpteenth year in a row) that we are going to lay out our clothes for the week on Sunday to make mornings less hectic. I have heard there are moms who actually do this...probably alians!

Tesscorm

Staff member
:lol: That's why I (and the kids!) LOVED the uniforms! They only had to decide whether they wanted to wear the white golf shirt or the green! :D And tops (except dress shirts) were unisex and Emily and Stephen are so close in age (and size, at the time), the tops were pretty interchangeable... whatever was clean worked! :lol:

Wow! No uniforms here. Mainly the parochial schools require uniforms, but none of the public ones. I actually like (*gasp*) buying my daughters clothing, but then again she is only 5 and I haven't let on that she has an option ;) There are rules about shoes (no flip flops/open backed sandals ) but that is basically the only restriction.

We have always had uniforms here, and also did in South Africa, so never experienced non-uniform. I think it's great! I wash and iron 3 shirts each, 2 polo shirts for gym days, 2 pairs of trousers each and that's us for the week. Woe on them if they get something dirty and I actually have to do more washing :ymad:

I love the thoughts of uniforms. I'm homeschooling mom and love the idea of having my kids have uniforms because it saves on the budget and the children every morning know what to put on? I real might do this.:ghug:

In Florida many of the public schools require uniforms. My kids school requires it. Is the first time they have had to wear one and they hate it. I think it is great except when you had to lay out the money to buy them all at once for three kids. ( oldest and youngest don't go to schools with uniform only three out of the five).

No uniforms for public school here. Just rules about no undergarments showing etc. No pj's. Yes, kids were wearing their pj bottoms out in public. Some wear pj top, bottom and house slippers. Come on! Seriously! Why?

When my kids were in private school, it was basically kaki's and polo shirts. Girls, polo shirts and uniform skirt or skorts.

I home school. We love not having uniforms. Daughter dresses conservatively now by choice. So no issues there.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Kim, yes it is a bit tough at the beginning but, as you have three wearing the uniforms, I have no doubt you'll find it less expensive going forward. Especially as you can 'hand down' articles! At times, Emily outgrew Stephen and her tops and gym clothes just went to him and all I'd need to buy him were two or three pairs of pants for the year! :) Assuming your kids all have to wear the same colour socks - suggestion - buy all the SAME socks, same pattern, etc. - makes sorting so much easier!! Made the mistake one year of buying a variety of grey socks - some ribbed, some plain, some with diamond patterns :eek: Nightmare trying to match all the same colour socks!! :D

Oh, I hope we're keeping that show all to ourselves! I'd hate to punish the rest of the world with our crazy ideas LOL... Of course, now I will have to watch the premier.

Sounds like 3rd Rock from the Sun!

Silly thoughts for the day! Received this in an e-mail.

Spread the Stupidity:yrolleyes:

Only in this world .......do drugstores make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions while healthy people can buy cigarettes at the front.:ymad:

Only in this world.....do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a diet coke. :ylol:

Only in this world .....do banks leave vault doors open and then chain the pens to the counters..:ybatty:

Only in this world......do we leave cars worth thousands of dollars in the driveway and put our useless junk in the garage.:eek2:

Only in this world ............do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight..:eek:

Only in this world .....do they have drive-up ATM machines with Braille lettering.:yfaint:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Yes! keep it to yourselves! I don't need punishing!

Now...OMFG...you can't be serious! A candle that smells like s'more's! :yfaint:

Tesscorm

Staff member
But, did you listen to it? It crackles! :lol: Just like a campfire! Come on...! It doesn't get better than that! :rof:

Of course, then we'll all be roasting marshmallows over our stoves, wondering where that darn craving is coming from! :eek:

But, did you listen to it? It crackles! :lol: Just like a campfire! Come on...! It doesn't get better than that! :rof:

Of course, then we'll all be roasting marshmallows over our stoves, wondering where that darn craving is coming from! :eek:
Haa, haa, haa, haaa!

Having a sucky day so I broke down and comforted my self with a Hershery's Special Dark Chocolate Bar. Feeling better already, well not my tummy. Oops! But it sure tasted good!

crohnsinct

SERIOUSLY?! How does one burn boiled carrots?

I'll tell you how. You only put a bit of water in the pot so they will cook faster and while waiting jump on the forum (aka your addiction, obession..you choose) to check on Gracie, C, Rowan etc and get pulled into the abyss and totally forget your very clean carrots cooking away until you smell your pot burning!!!!!!!!!

I hope while you are laughing at me you are also very impressed I am eating carrots with my lunch!

:ybatty: I imagine you're washing down your clean burnt carrots with your organic nutritionally dense Merlot! :D

Crohnsinct-
If the carrots got burned can they still be considered clean?:shifty:

You city folks and cooking veggies.:ytongue:
Me and my clan we run out to the garden over yonder and pull our carrots out and eat them by the time we get back home. No mess for me to clean up!:D

Crohnsinct, I am blaming you! In my quest to search the forum to find out the story behind the burnt carrots, I burned my sugar cookies!

Farmwife, I like them raw too, but it's a no go for Ryan on the raw stuff. Definitely not clean, but the best is carrots with butter and brown sugar! (copper carrots, yum!)

Mmmm that sounds delish, the copper carrots not the clean burnt ones! LOL Aww crohnsinct...you care you care...you really really care!

Umm is it wrong that I'm now craving carrots and sugar cookies?

crohnsinct

Yeah well the worst part is I was cleaning the peeler after lunch and managed to slice my finger. WHO does that?

Hubby says all the restaurants and take out places in town are going under since I started cooking and they must have little voodoo dolls of me or are praying to the culinary gods to get me to stop this nonsense!!! I am tempted!

SUGAR COOKIES???!!!! made with whole wheat flour and sucanat I am sure....

Not together, I hope! People might start to wonder :whistleinnocently:
Ooooohh let's not even think such thoughts!!!:shifty-t: If that was the case I would be on straight jacket forum...one in college and one in hs I'm feeling accomplished, I don't think I could start at the beginning again!:yfaint:

Tesscorm

Staff member
Having an 18 and 19 year old, I've been through the baby stage, toddler, elementary, pre-teen and the 14-16 year old stages... but, sometimes, in some ways I feel like NOW is more demanding than ever! :yfaint:

The independence and desire to do normal things (clubs/bars, dates, staying over at friends' homes who are 'new' friends, alcohol, driving, living or travelling on their own, etc.) and the accompanying worries (ie, Stephen's best friend was just robbed and beaten up last week when walking home from a concert, spent the last week in the hospital and had to have a number of surgeries! :eek:)

The stresses and worries (theirs and, then, ours) about schools, jobs, their futures.

And it seems I have more medical concerns now then I ever had - of course Stephen's crohns but even my daughter seems to be having more random issues...

Ugghh... I keep hearing it gets easier but am not seeing it! :lol: The 'work' is easier but I seem to worry about them more now than ever before! (Farmwife, you may be drinking pop right now but, give it a few more years... forget the dairy farm, you'll be making and drinking your own grappa like a pro! :D)

Tesscorm, I agree completely on the difficulty of having teens. I feel like I was alot less worried about J obtaining her drivers license and taking to the road than C.

The stresses are greater to me too in alot of respects and the ones you have mentioned are definitely at the top of my list. I've been able to let go and allow J more independence and freedoms than I have C. But on top of having CD, it is like the crazy and unexplained always land on him. Plus, being a boy I swear his feelings of invincibility far out weigh any I experienced with J. I mean, c'mon using a large plastic container as a sled pulled behind a golf cart downhill!!!! And when you call him on it he's like "what it's really durable plastic, they drop food from airplanes in these containers, they are that sturdy"...sheesh where does common sense go in the teenage years!!! And I'm going to give him permission to get behind the wheel of a vehichle...insanity!

Tesscorm

Staff member
:lol: That is so funny!! So typically 'boy'!! Although, I think because my daughter's always been very athletic and is now doing competitive tai kwon do, she's the one with that 'invincibility' factor :yfaint: which worries me even more!! As strong/athletic as she is, she'd be no match for any guy who really wants to do harm... but, feeling invincible, I worry that she doesn't 'worry'. Ugghh!

Sad to say but I think what happened to Stephen's friend really opened his eyes to what can happen! All of a sudden, he realized 'if it could happen to him, it can happen to me'! (Thank god his friend will be okay but he now needs physio and has had to leave school and postpone his course until January!) :(

That is so sad that something like that happened, I preach to J about awareness of her surroundings and enviroment but like you said her size compared to an attacker would make for no match. I'm glad he is healing well and will be okay.

crohnsinct

Oh my gosh that poor boy and his poor family! I am so hope he is going to be O.K. enotionally as well as physically.

Geez! I remember the things my gal pals and I used to do in college. It is amazing we made it out alive. Scary what goes through a kids head!

As for C and the sledding....sounds like fun to me too! I love boys! I wanted three boys...got three girls...when I delivered the first and they said it's a girl I said, "what am I supposed to do with a girl"...hahaha the doc said "pretty much the same thing you do with a boy"...maybe that is why I have three self declared tom boys. Someone is seriously laughing at me up there!

Oh dear Clash and other parents.
Let's face it. They do stupid thing that we don't know about.
You know I'm telling the truth because we did them too. :shifty-t:
When I have time I'll have to share how we won the down hill slope winter mattress race.
That's right. Off the face of a mountain.
Ya BABY! So stupid. :yfrown:
Now I still here popping pain pills to help me function.:cool:

Tesscorm

Staff member
You're right, Crohnsinct... when I think back to when we were young, I'm not sure how we made it! I don't know if it was actually safer years ago or if, as parents, we're just so much more aware of everything???

And, so you've got the best of both worlds - the adventures of tomboys and the worries of girls! X 3!!! :lol: No wonder you need those mommy supplements! :hug:

Tesscorm

Staff member
OMG, Farmwife!!! :rof: Now that I've learned about cow skiing and cow tipping, can't wait to hear more about the mattress races! :lol:

Oh yeah if it comes back ten fold I'm in serious trouble, since as a teenager I fell out of a car window as the car was moving(only about 15 mph) while yelling at the kids in the car behind me(the driver pop the clutch and I lost my balance, I remember nothing of this my last memory was my friend and I deciding to skip school that day)!!! I was in ICU for 3 weeks and a coma for 2 weeks!!! Everyone says that is what accounts for my slight unhingedness today! Needless to say my kids have gotten the don't hang out of car windows, ride in back of pickup, stand up through sunroofs lecture a dozen times!!!

Wow Clash thank God you made it!

That's right up their with my finger in the blender story. To this day I can't drink anything that comes out of the blender red. Of course my stupidity didn't put me in a coma.

No way, finger in the blender?!? Yes, the days of my youth are filled with miss steps vacant of rational thought or common sense!! I am truly horrified by my actions at this point and my poor parents bore the brunt of worry and frustration for most of my teenage/college years. When this incident occurred I was staying with family friends as my parents were on a trip overseas, poor things that was their last trip out of country, I think I did them in on worldly travel.

Hmmm...maybe I should give that safety lecture one more time this evening!

crohnsinct

Clash! Yikes. your poor parents...the poor people in charge of watching you...imagine making THAT call. But yes it does explain a lot.

Farmwife: which finger? We city girls need certain fingers if you know waht I mean?

Tesscorm: got it...no margheritas..wine, vodke, beer, grappa etc.. screw tops, corks and pop tops only!!!!

Wow, those are some good stories of our misspent youth. Seems to me that I was quite lucky to get away with the stuff I did without serious injury! :ycool:
I remember a friend and I following a car (filled with cute guys) all the way into downtown Johannesburg (scary place :eek2:) and ending up in some random club. Made it out in one piece thankfully!
I'm afraid the scare factor was all too real in good old SA to really get up to any major mischief.

crohnsinct

Well while Clash's daughter was texting about a great pair of boots (did you get them for her btw) Gaby texted me to tell me she is sick. She said they think just a bad cold but doc isn't at the school again till Tuesday. Quick strep test came back negative. O has infusion on Monday and we pass by the exit for her school. She asked me to bring her something to help her feel better. I am dying! I want to run up there and get my baby girl and nurse her back to health right now. I love that she is being all independent and staying at school but it is killing me. Maybe another glass of wine will help.....

WHAT???:voodoo::voodoo: You good for nothing crohnsinct!!!!!:voodoo::voodoo:

You just pm that same post!!!!!
What you can't think of anything new?????

Put the wine down and go smack yourself in the mirror! Tell yourself it's from ME!!!!:voodoo:

:rof:

crohnsinct

LMFAO! Yes but in your PM you got oh so much more! You are killing me! I give and give and it is never enough for you. I want a divorce!

crohnsinct

Why do you think something is wrong with us Farmwife? Isn't everyone trolling Crohns forums at 9:00 on a Saturday (isn't that in a song by Billy Joel)

my little penguin

Staff member
Hey I resemble that remark- all good crohnie moms are researching and checking the sights on sat evening while dreaming of clean/ scd/paleo/fodmap safe bread baking itself

Tesscorm

Staff member
Oh, Crohnsinct, she just doesn't understand you, she's not able to give you that emotional support you need! :cry: And, it doesn't matter how much you do, it's just never enough! :ymad: All her talk about sweet apple blossoms:puke_r:

:lol:

Aww, but I can imagine how hard it is for you to be at the church fair, eating your pizza and sugared dough and forcing down that cab while your poor little baby is nursing herself as best she can! :cry: You're doing the right thing... making her a stronger person, a more independent person who can take care of herself! :D (Think, think, think... there must be some reason you need to be driving by that exit!! ;))

And, yep, listening to that same Billy Joel song here! :D

:ywow: Weekends are when I can catch up here.... I peek now and then on my phone at work and at the end of the night during the week. A year ago, I would not have thought this was how I would spend a Sat nite

crohnsinct

YES! Driving by that exit on our way to and from infusion tomorrow. On our way back we will stop and drop off a care package and maybe if I am really, really lucky she will fit us in to her very busy schedule and let us take her out for a bite to eat. It is an awkward time but come on Italian and in college...won't turn down food and especially if it is free. Here's hoping she has an appetite and the cold hasn't ruined my big chance!

I put a pic of my boys out in my album today from our vacation at the beach. It was picture nite so they r dressed similar. I sent out some friend requests so I could share. If I missed u and u want to see let me know.

How cute your guys are!!!:hug:
I was kind of hurt that I didn't get an invite, then I realized we were already friend. Ya for me!!!:dance:

Tesscorm

Staff member
Aww, they are so cute! I'm sure it must be challenging at times but having twins must be lots of fun! :D

:ylol2: Beating you all - spending quality time with my gorgeous boy while catching up with the forum on the laptop. Talk about multitasking :D
Slightly concerned by the smell of burning meat from downstairs - yes I am making a meal from scratch - steak pie, but been too busy on this forum to go check it!
Oh well - my husband says it's not a meal I've made without the house fire alarm going off :blush:

Tesscorm

Staff member
:lol: Burnt meat at your place, burnt carrots at Crohnsincts... I feel like a some sort of Julia Child over here! :D

crohnsinct

^:roflanim:

Farmwife: candy at school? Definitely not clean!

Saw G today. She looks great. We had a quick meal together. It was adorable though watching her sisters just gab away so excitedly telling her their stories each vying for her attention. T told her that one day she went up to her room and cried and sometimes goes up there so she could smell her.

When we dropped her off it was a tear fest. She said , "See? this is why I don't come home and don't want you to visit. It is too hard to say good bye all over again" She broke my heart.

But yes, it was great seeing her. I may see her again next Wednesday...I bribed her with shopping! She isn't a princess but desperately needs some new shirts she says. Yay!

If one is afraid Tesscorm that's good sign to not ask.:wink:

I'm feeling better from the flu.
Three days and no body cleaned!:voodoo:
Good night to all.
Think of me as I'm ironing to 1 am this morning.:kiss:

No call from the doc today.:voodoo:

crohnsinct

So tomorrow is O's 13th birthday and she is leaving on a retreat with the youth group. She requested unclean brownies. For some reason my girls are convinced their dad makes better brownies than me. For years we have used the same box. They say he has a special ingredient. Yeah, he doesn't cook them all the way so they are mushy! Anyway, O is licking the leftover batter in the bowl. Sure sweetheart...you go ahead and lick that raw egg batter with your suppressed immune system...I don't care what you all say I am NOT giving back my mother of the year award! And tell DCF to come tomorrow morning because I am drinking my wine right now!

Tesscorm

Staff member
:birthday2: Happy Birthday Olivia!!!! Have a GREAT Day!!! :medal1:

Have lots of fun on your retreat!!!:rosette1:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Aha!!! This time I will get the right birthday!

A Great Big Happy 13TH Birthday to O!!!!!!!

I hope she has a fab day and I'm sure she will!

I'm here, I'm here! Can't you see me waving my hands! Sarah is fine hun. :) I have been crazy busy during the weekdays, work and what not, and so have only had the weekends to play catch up! Looks like I have loads to do this weekend and I will update about Sarah too. :)

Chasing her tail Dusty.

:birthday2:

I hope O has a GREAT day!!!!!

WOW:eek2: A kid at college and a 13 yr. old and your 70's fast approaching...:hug: How you keep yourself from jumping from a bridge is beyond me.:confused2:

:rof::tongue::rof:

Tesscorm

Staff member
Wow! ... is that ever nasty! :eek: :lol:

Farmwife, you didn't know??? us City Girls and our wine... alcohol makes for a very pleasant preservative! :D :D It's all about clean eating! :thumright:

crohnsinct

hahaha Thanks Tess...I was thinking the same thing!

Bleeding would be a start but a few dozen pastry shells express shipped would be a nice finish...I will save them for my dirty days.