• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Caffeine alternatives?

I spent all last night awake finishing an essay due today (bad planning on my part!) So I decided to take a jaunt to the store to buy myself an energy drink that was loaded with caffeine so I could finish off my essay and manage to stay awake in class today. That was a big mistake, I don't drink caffeine much and it has made me extremely nauseas.

So now that I know what a lot of caffeine does to me I think I'll avoid it. I was wondering if anyone has tried anything different that has given them a boost that lets them stay awake and is easy on the digestive system?

Thanks!

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Yerba Mate

This is good. Tastes a lot like green tea with a slight grassy flavour. While there is some caffiene in it, other compounds apparently mask some its side effects.

I quite enjoy it. It's a good energy boost while having a calming mental effect.

Thanks for the reply. I've never had a bad reaction to caffeine before. Maybe it was a combination of lack of sleep, empty belly and way too much caffeine. Thankfully I felt better after a few hours.

Can you get yerba mate in a regular grocerie store? Or would I have to find it in a health food place?

M

mrs. vr

I like the yerba mate too. I can buy it at the regular grocery stores here in the DC area. It's a bit of an acquired taste though. They make an energy drink now with that instead of caffeine, I think maybe it's monster brand. I don't usually have a sensitivity to caffeine, but when I do, yuck.

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Wiles said:
Can you get yerba mate in a regular grocerie store? Or would I have to find it in a health food place?
The mega supermarkets usually carry it here in Canada. If not, try an Italian or Latin American store they should have it. Heath food stores usually have it too.

I'm not one to latch on wholeheartedly to faddish wonderstuff, but it's pretty pleasant. Worth acquiring a taste for for it's own sake.

I still love my coffee, but if I had to give it up or cut back, Yerba Mate is just as acceptable.

I did find a "Dark Roast" version, but the standard green is awesome.

Last edited:
You can also try Green tea. It gives you energy and doesn't have much caf... It's also supposed to be anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial.

J

jobengals

I personally stick to one cup of green tea a day but you could always buy some caffeine pills at Walgreens or CVS or whatever. My personal choice for cramming or just general school work are these caffeine mints called Foosh, pretty darn cheap and effective considering today's energy boosters, with none of the nasty shit you'll find in soft drinks. Or you could order Peruvian Tea from Peru, which is softer on my stomach than green tea, and a lot more effective too...

M

mrs. vr

jobengals said:
customs won't seize packages labeled as tea.
Actually, there is nothing customs wont seize if they are so inclined. Otherwise, every drug and gun dealer in the world would just be marking their packages "TEA" or whatever. If you're willing to take the risk, that's totally your choice, I just think it's fair to be honest to other people about their own risk when encouraging them to try it, so they can make an informed choice.

Wiles said:
Thanks for the reply. I've never had a bad reaction to caffeine before. Maybe it was a combination of lack of sleep, empty belly and way too much caffeine. Thankfully I felt better after a few hours.

Most energy drinks have more than just caffeine to give you energy. I believe most have taurine which gives you energy and seems like it may be a nasty version of caffeine. Perhaps try having something like plain coffee before you eliminate caffeine. Best of luck!

Most of those also have some form of artifical sweetners that will do nothing but give you the energy to do #2 through a screen door.

Know that from experience.

Keep in mind one large reason with fatigue in people is simply being low on water, drink plenty of fluids, well, water per day. I wish I still had the link on that article, but alas I can't dig it up.

i avoid caffeine nowadays.. it used to increase my dizzy feelings - much better since i kicked it out of my diet.

glucose is great for boosting your energy levels.. particularly glucose drinks. or those little sweets you can buy at pharmacies. also electrolade/dioralyte (rehydration powders) give me a boost.

It could have been the sugar. Those things are loaded with sugar.

I will have to suggest Yerba Matte too. I love that stuff but can't give up my coffee.

Don't underestimate how powerful caffeine is as a drug. In an alternative universe it could even be an illegal drug (remember it was considered perfectly acceptable when Queen Victoria used to glug down laudanum in the 19th century, just to put things in context). I think there's a lot less in tea and in instant coffee, but if you drink a lot of fresh coffee... or a specifically high-caffeine based soft drink, it can have quite an effect on your system (it does on mine anyway, and I've cut down quite a bit).
I've found that if I'm doing something... like writing... late into the night, I can keep going if I've generated enough natural interest in what I'm doing. Once I start getting tired and bored... my body's telling me it's time to go to bed. I know that doesn't help with essay writing, I used to be exactly the same when I had to write essays! Fail to plan... plan to fail!

Agent X20 said:
Fail to plan... plan to fail!
Steve, are you a Roy Keane fan? This quote is always shoved out when the media here talk about him:ylol2: :ylol2:

I must say I love my coffee, and it has to be strong. My wife and I have burned out 3 espresso machines i the last 4 and 1/2 years!!!

I generally have a few cups during the day but never after 4pm usually. Then it doesn't effect my sleep.

I know it's not good, but what is? If it tastes good, it's bad for you.

Am I an addict.... Hell yea!!!

Dan
Hate to say this... but who is Roy Keane... is he a footie player?

I've got a little cardboard cut-out on my desk... it's Goofy saying: "I never planned to fail, I just failed to plan."
It's right next to the cut-out of Homer saying: "D'Oh!"
They are both guiding principles in my life... like yin and yang!

He is a Irish player that played for Man Utd.

Just before the world cup a few years ago, he threw a wobbly about the conditions for training. He stormed home and was interviewed by a paper. He came out with the phrase "If you fail to prepare, prepare to fail."

The whole country was divided, those for him and those against him. And when I say the whole country, I mean the whole country.

A TV documentary, aired over Christmas, about the top 10 things that rocked the nation had this in the top 5!!! All the other things on the list included our civil war, assassinations, political scandals etc.

Like I said, it split a nation!!!!!!

Healthy Coffee

I spent all last night awake finishing an essay due today (bad planning on my part!) So I decided to take a jaunt to the store to buy myself an energy drink that was loaded with caffeine so I could finish off my essay and manage to stay awake in class today. That was a big mistake, I don't drink caffeine much and it has made me extremely nauseas.

So now that I know what a lot of caffeine does to me I think I'll avoid it. I was wondering if anyone has tried anything different that has given them a boost that lets them stay awake and is easy on the digestive system?

Thanks!
Hi! Have u heard of a healthier coffee. Your body doesn't absord the caffeine because of the herb which is added to it. I've heard lots of people say how much energy they get without the bad side effects.

During my new age Hippie phase I grew things like Borage and chamomile. I would use dried Raspberry leaves for tannin and the borrage was an adrenal stimulant.