• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Community Juice Fast. Round 2

Gianni

Hey guys.

I am wanting to organize another community juice fast for everyone and I hope you can join.

If you were unaware about the first community juice fast, you can read about it here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=43130

If you want to read why I think Juicing can be beneficial for Crohnies, you can read about it here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=41838

A Juice fast is when you drink only fresh and newly prepared juice and water (maybe some tea) for a certain amount of time. Minimum length to feel beneficial results would be 3 days while maximum results would be 10 days. I wouldn't advise going over 10 days unless you have done quite a few juice fasts yourself:)

The reason juice fasting can be so beneficial is because a juicer will remove the fiber from the produce and retain all the vitamins, enzymes, and minerals. So while your body is attaining all of these raw dense nutrients, your digestive tract is put on rest and your body uses the energy saved (that would otherwise be lost through digestion to get those same vitamins) to put that energy to a greater cause: presumably to helping your body fight the disease.

Also the high dose of nutrients being attained will cause your body to push out accumulated toxins through your bowels and help you get rid of all that crap that has been built up over the years that could be harming your body.

You can read more about my whole reasoning behind juicing in the thread I linked above.

Please do note that juice fasting can cause detox symptoms which will mimic flu like symptoms in some cases but after the third day of the fast these should go away and you will notice the benefits of removing all the harmful toxins.

Note that a juicer is required but feel free to use a blender and do a "smoothie" fast if you do not have one.

Possible start dates: I want to do this Juice fast in January:

January 12th, 19th, or 26th

Below please post if you are interested in joining the community juice fast and I will keep you in the loop on updates and I will help guide you all along with prep and the actual fast. Also please post, if you are interested, which date, of the 3 listed above, would be best for you.

Gianni

Beach bum
------------
------------
------------
------------
------------
------------
------------
------------

Last edited:

scottsma

Maybe you should have waited 'til after the festive season Gianni ? They all want to concentrate on eating and enjoying themselves for a week or two.Better to catch them when the guilt sets in.

Gianni

Yeah I figure people might sign up after the new year as they are feeling inspired to keep their new years resolutions:). I wanted to do a long term sign up just so people can think about the possibility as they think about their new years resolutions/goals.

Gianni

Ooo sorry I didn't see this else I would have responded sooner.

I am up for the 19th, before that I will be on holiday sking - I am sure I will need it when I get back.

:)

FullM3lt

Activate CB2
I got a nice Breville juicer for Christmas....hell yeah :D

I'm not going to do any juice fasting yet, but it's definitely going to be incorporated into my daily regimen. I recently quit caffeine so a morning glass of juice can be my new replacement

Just made my first juice with 1.5 cucumbers, 4 carrots, 3 shoots of celery, 1/2 a granny smith apple and a bit of ginger root :D who needs caffeine when you have juice! This stuff is seriously invigorating (and fun to make)

I just started a juice fast on christmas eve and I'm wondering if adding oils or nut milks is allowed on the juice fast because I have read some recipes that add olive oil in them.

Gianni

I just started a juice fast on christmas eve and I'm wondering if adding oils or nut milks is allowed on the juice fast because I have read some recipes that add olive oil in them.
Usually oils are added for the longer juice fasts to make sure the individual is including fat and essential oils into their diets. If the fast is between 1-10 days I wouldn't worry about the oil thing too much unless you're underweight. But feel free, if you'd like, to add some olive oil to your juices-although don't go too crazy.

Nut milks are perfectly fine for juice fasts but the important thing here is to not replace the juice with a glass of a nut milk. So if you are doing 3, 6, or however many juices a day; be sure to still include the full number of juices but to just supplement with the nut milks between the juice. Also once again, don't overdo it.

Goodluck on the fast! Let us know how it is going in the Juicing Club!
Gianni

Just back from skiing, after some serious ( and fun :dance: ) body abuse :ybatty: I am so in need of the fast !

I will be starting on the 19th :)

Nuts, Hubby has just reminded me we are supposed to be visiting his family at the weekend. Which means two whole days away from my juicer, looks like the fast will have to start on Monday instead.

Ahh well.

Gianni

I was hoping for some more people but maybe next time If I decide to host another one. I'm not going to post video's with only one person joining me but I will post a diary throughout my fast:) Thanks for joining beach bum and good luck:)

Diary of a Beach Bum.

Tuesday 22nd Jan 2013

Well I didn't get off to a very good start with this fast and I am now about four days late.
First I realized I would be away all weekend and then I didn't get back from Southampton in time to go shopping, so I went last night. Consequently I am only just starting today on Tuesday the 22nd.

I am feeling pretty good at the moment, my tummy is behaving and I have felt well enough to start exercising again. I have been jogging and going to the local rowing club, only using the machines so far but I intend to make the most of my health and the water this summer, so I will be out on the real thing as soon as the weather improves.

I have put on a bit of weight since the last fast (due to Christmas and ski holiday) so I wouldn't mind loosing a bit this time.
I am about 9 ¾ stone.

8am

Made up a big jug of red head, drank half of it and flasked the rest for lunch.
Then I made up a nice green Popeye as a snack juice.
The day went very well; I didn't feel hungry and was only slightly jealous once when I saw Paul from work with a toffee crisp – I haven’t had one of those for years.
I even did a bit of jogging round the block with the dog after work, I didn't go too mad obviously but I was fine. Then came home to a nice big glass of carrot, orange and pineapple.

Wednesday 23rd Jan

Felt a bit sluggish this morning but it is freezing so I am not that surprised. I seem to be suffering from a bit of a water infection too, just what you need when you are drinking loads of juice! Which means I will need some antibiotics ahead of my infusion next week, bum.
But at least I will be getting some exercise up and down the stairs at work today while I wee for England.

I made up another big red head with a bit of ginger in to spice it up and a smaller detox juice. Cucumber, lemon, celery and apple.

I am defiantly not as motivated this time as I was the last fast, but reading through my last diary has reminded me of how great I felt after a few days so I will refocus on that to get me through.
I might need a bit of mental stamina just now as I am currently cooking hubbies tea, he has just come in soaking wet and exhausted from training with his Rugby team – else I would have told him to do it his self. :ylol: