• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Awesome Gnocchi recipe!

Hey guys, I love to cook and found this recipe which is perfect for people with sensitive stomachs and its low fodmap :)

I served it to my boyfriend and mum and they both LOVED IT! and so did I, so wanted to share!

Here is the recipe: Gnocchi with creamy tomato and bacon sauce

1 x 500g pkt potato gnocchi
160ml (2/3 cup) light thickened cream
2 tbs water
1 tbs tomato paste
6 shortcut rindless bacon rashers, thinly sliced
150g 97% fat-free semi-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tbs toasted pine nuts
40g (1 cup) baby spinach leaves

Method:

Step 1
Cook gnocchi in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until tender. Drain.
Step 2
Meanwhile, combine cream, water and tomato paste in a bowl. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until crisp. Stir in the cream mixture, tomato and pine nuts.
Step 3
Add the gnocchi and spinach and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the spinach wilts. Season with pepper. Divide among serving bowls to serve.

ENJOY! :thumright:

Gnocchi is one of my go-to foods for low stomach impact. You can make your own without too much effort also - I like the Food Network recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-chiarello/potato-gnocchi-recipe/index.html

The sauce is something I go back and forth on - I've had it with everything from a simple aglio e olio to marinara to a rose sauce - whatever I can tolerate.

Thank you for the recipe above - I look forward to trying it (sans pine nuts - can't tolerate 'em).

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
Hey guys, I love to cook and found this recipe which is perfect for people with sensitive stomachs and its low fodmap :)

I served it to my boyfriend and mum and they both LOVED IT! and so did I, so wanted to share!

Here is the recipe: Gnocchi with creamy tomato and bacon sauce

1 x 500g pkt potato gnocchi
160ml (2/3 cup) light thickened cream
2 tbs water
1 tbs tomato paste
6 shortcut rindless bacon rashers, thinly sliced
150g 97% fat-free semi-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tbs toasted pine nuts
40g (1 cup) baby spinach leaves

Method:

Step 1
Cook gnocchi in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until tender. Drain.
Step 2
Meanwhile, combine cream, water and tomato paste in a bowl. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until crisp. Stir in the cream mixture, tomato and pine nuts.
Step 3
Add the gnocchi and spinach and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the spinach wilts. Season with pepper. Divide among serving bowls to serve.

ENJOY! :thumright:
Okay this maybe a stupid question, but what is gnocchi? This hillbilly has never heard of it. LOL

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
It's an Italian dish. Little dumplings topped with sauce. kind of tastes like pasta and mashed potatoes combined but is very soft and made with potatoes.

rygon

and if you can't find semi dried tomatoes they are very easy to make.
Tomatoes halved on baking tray, skin side down.
drizzle with extra virgin olive oil
Add salt + pepper
bake at approx 150degC for 1-2hrs (until the edges start to blacken slightly)