• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sudden joint pain - is this normal, and what can help?

Hi - I don't think I've introduced myself yet, although I have been reading the forums for a while and found them very helpful. A bit of background - I was diagnosed with UC a year ago. I've been in active flare since then, despite pentasa, salofalk, several rounds of prednisolone (which I refuse to take again because of the crazy black moods it causes me) and azathioprine (which I had liver problems with). My CRP was measured last week as 92, and I am suffering with anaemia (my hB is 9). I am going for a flexible sigmoidoscopy (again!!) tomorrow to see how things stand at the moment and then my consultant will discuss what to do going forwards.

Over the last few days I've had an ache in my wrists and left elbow. I know joint pain can be a side effect of IBD, so didn't really worry about it too much. But this morning I have woken with horrendous pain in both knees (I needed help to get out of bed and downstairs), both elbows, wrists, ankles and thumbs. I am in so much pain, unless I sit completely still. But then I get stiff eventually which is even worse. I've taken paracetomol, had a long hot shower, but it hasn't made a difference.

Is it normal for joint pain to come on so suddenly like this? And can anyone suggest anything to help relieve it a bit? I have 2 small kids to look after, and so far this morning all I've been able to do is stick the TV on for them. Not sure how I'll cope with the emergency rushes to the toilet which come with UC either, as I am moving at snails pace today!

Thanks so much.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Besides treating the UC (Prednisone would help reduce the inflammation in both your colon and joints) and pain medications icing helps reduce joint inflammation. Have you tried using the RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevate) method? Resting means to avoid using it which you've done today. When you ice it you do this for 15 minutes at a time multiple times a day. Use an ACE bandage to compress the joint and elevate it above your heart. For some using a heating pad feels better than icing but you can alternate ice and heat. Another option is physical therapy where you'll learn exercises to help strengthen the muscles around your joints. There's also Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements which may help yet may not work for everyone. http://www.webmd.com/pain-management/guide/joint-pain?page=2

For me if its joint pain related I see my Rheumatologist. If you don't have one yet I suggest you see one whenever you're able. Keep us posted on your scope and what your GI says. :)

I wonder if you are drinking diet drinks? That can be a side effect of the aspertame, etc...a thought to look outside of the disease and at what non-pure drinks/foods you are putting in your body. Every little thing can make a difference. Feel better!

HI all: I have recently been diagnosed with Crohns after a year of tests. I was placed on a steroid for 4 months post stricture surgery. I caught a "joint achy virus" 3-4 weeks following the termination of the steroids that kept me in bed for a day and stiff for a week. I now have achiness in my joints all over and I've started Pentasa. My mother started a new medication and couldn't get out of bed the next morning due to her joints. Her doctor told her "sometimes RA just comes on overnight." I firmly believe it has something to do with the medication to bring that on over night. I'm wondering if anyone else has developed joint problems coincidental to a new medication. Is it Crohns....or Crohns medication causing it? hmmm

My joints have gotten much worse since crohns. Is it the crohns or the medicine who knows. I am sure neither helps the situation at all. My remedy has really been staying active, it appears that if I sit, lay or lounge around to long when I try to move again it's miserable. Jeninifer has hit on some of the more common ways to temporarily relieve pain. You can also look into some anti inflammatory herbs that some people have success on (Boswella and Tumeric). Omega 3's have also shown some benefits with joints.