• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Explain paleo and low residue diets?

Hey guys so I went to the hospital to see my GI and he suggested that go and see there dietitian
So a week ago or so I got a letter of them to ring up so long story short I can't get in to see them until 10 July
I think that's pretty shit tbh as I'm struggling to keep any food down as put in my other posts
I've tryed a low residue diet but I don't fully under stand what it is I'm meant to do ?

Can any one explain paleo diet& the low residue one as I'm not getting very far with my hospital and at my GP surgey my normal Doctor has left so I'm waiting form my new doctor to call up for me to go in

Help with this I need to try and get my strength back =)

The Paleo diet focus's on "clean" foods that existed back in caveman days - no gluten/grains, soy, dairy, peanuts/legumes, sugar etc. It encourages lots of fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds, grassfed meats and free range eggs, and fats such as ghee and coconut oil. Good quality foods with no added fillers etc. The primal diet also includes some dairy.

The Low Residue Diet (though I don't know much about it) is more about low low fiber and tends to be far more processed. White bread, saltine crackers, white pasta, some cooked fruits/veggies and avoids whole wheat and most fruits and vegetables. Its supposed to slow down bowel activity.

Its really going to depend on what your body can tolerate, they are very different diets. I personally do well on Paleo. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the low residue diet can jump in and give some more info on it.

A gastroenterologist giving a talk on paleo for IDB.......
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=48559

more paleo
http://robbwolf.com/2011/12/19/testimonial-the-solution-to-my-battle-with-colitis/
http://ibdtie.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/paleo-negotiations.html

vegetable juice is ok , even good, no , GREAT for you

low residue just means low fibre (the undigested residue or your meal)

If you have diabetes jump straight into paleo, if you have IBD then start with a low residue paleo diet- like the SCD intro diet and then move to a regular paleo diet.
http://pecanbread.com/f/how/introdiet.html
(paleo/SCD and GAPS are 90% the same thing)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
my question would be, how can I follow something like the Paleo diet when the raw vegetables and fruits cause me so much pain?
If digesting veggies is an issue for you....you might want to consider juicing them. It removes the fiber from the veggies and leaves you with the nutrients. And if you find you need a bit of fiber you can always add some of the pulp of the veggie back into the juice. It good you are researching your options before you jump into a specific diet. Good luck!

Thank you! I definitely have been doing a lot of research, and monitoring what foods are causing problems for me, before deciding what to do. It really seems right now like darn near everything is irritating my belly and causing pain, but it's better than it was a few days ago when I was eating everything completely wrong for me.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Have you started an elimination diet before? (click on the blue link in the previous sentence to read what it is)

This is my first time starting an elimination diet. Thank you for the link! My belly has been bothering me so much that I decided to eliminate everything that could possibly be an irritant, wait until I feel better, and then try the system of reintroducing one food at a time. I am hoping to hear from the doc this afternoon (he's been out all week), so I'm sure a colonoscopy will be in my near future. I'm concerned that I will have trouble maintaining my weight because there aren't a lot of options for consuming quality calories on this diet. :eek2:

my question would be, how can I follow something like the Paleo diet when the raw vegetables and fruits cause me so much pain?
In our experience, we had to do a paleo AND low residue diet until E healed up some. As he healed, he could tolerate the fiber of fruits and veggies. I say that we did the SCD but though I read the book and got the idea of diet from the SCD, SCD and paleo are similar and what I altered SCD to look like (no dairy or legumes) actually looks more like paleo. E could not digest very many fruits or veggies (even cooked ones) at first but as he healed, his ability to digest increased. He now eats even raw strawberries and whole nuts without a problem. We have had great success with diet in lieu of meds but it was a slow progression. I highly recommend the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle and the slow introduction of foods as described on pecan bread.

Start with the intro diet

http://pecanbread.com/p/how/introdiet.html

And move to a slow intro of foods...

http://pecanbread.com/p/how/stages.html

The only thing I would change is beef as an earlier food. I really think it should be held off until much later.

so good to know. Right now I'm having problems really finding much food that doesn't cause me any pain. I cooked some carrots until they were soft last night and that seemed all right. Chicken seems okay too. I had cream of rice, yogurt and a banana this morning and I had some pain, but then there's always some so I assume that just eating is going to hurt for a while. As I am lactose free I am avoiding dairy like the plague anyway, but now will have to avoid soy too in case that's a problem. The only thing that seems to make it better is Kefir milk.

so good to know. Right now I'm having problems really finding much food that doesn't cause me any pain. I cooked some carrots until they were soft last night and that seemed all right. Chicken seems okay too. I had cream of rice, yogurt and a banana this morning and I had some pain, but then there's always some so I assume that just eating is going to hurt for a while. As I am lactose free I am avoiding dairy like the plague anyway, but now will have to avoid soy too in case that's a problem. The only thing that seems to make it better is Kefir milk.
Check out the intro diet that I linked. Rice is a grain which is not allowed on SCD or paleo. Also, yogurt doesn't have lactose but E still can't eat any dairy (even if it is lactose free).

Hey guys tha ka for all the advice and help
So today I'm going to start jicing and see what path it's gonna take me down hopefully a goo one !!