• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Making All Kinds Of Gains With Crohns: Supplements and Body Building

I just want to share my exp with working out during flares, post flare, post ER visits, on pred, with bowel obstruction/strictures, and also share my PERSONAL exp with supplements in regards to making muscle gains.

My History: 1996 Bowel resection : Treatments: Preds Post resection: Bowel Obstructions, living with a stricture for 10 years, Avascular Necrosis of the Knee

You can be a CDer and still build muscle.

Last edited:
My Exp with Protein Powders:

Muscle Milk - F , serious protein gas bombs - which means basically the body is not absorbing the protein correctly

Isopure - seems to be a great fit, do do lack of milk products, however it cost more, so instead of getting the Isopure protein powder, cut cost get the cheaper Isopure Mass - which not only has protein , but the caloric intake to help Cders keep calories up during a flare/post flair

Now, as a Cder there are natural problems as a result of the bowel absorption in regards to the kidney, etc, I learned it was best to cycle the protein based on test results, blood work , etc

I will share my Cder preworkout smoothie with you guys, maybe it will help one person out there.

What other protein supplements have worked for my other Cders in the gym?

Hey,

Your regime would be handy. Ive just started personal training and just experimenting with supplements to help. At the moment I'm taking MRPs and a doctor prescribed Scandishake. Thats it so far.

Thanks,

I like optimum nutrition hydro whey the best. It's very easy to digest and never makes my stomach hurt. The downside is that it's quite expensive. I also like ON gold standard whey, although in a flare it sometimes causes indigestion for me. True mass is the best tasting gainer I've tried, and I had solid results with it.

Hey,

Your regime would be handy. Ive just started personal training and just experimenting with supplements to help. At the moment I'm taking MRPs and a doctor prescribed Scandishake. Thats it so far.

Thanks,
Crohn's Warrior Pre/post workout shake:

3 Scoops of Isopure Mass - 300 cals, 25, g Protein, 25-30 Carbs
One Ensure Nutrition Shake - 250 cals, 40 g Carbs
Two Spoons of Greek Yogurt - 3-6 grams of protein, digestive cultures
One Scoop of Fighter's Diet Greens - veggie mix servings
Three Frozen Strawberries - carbs, Vit C and other good stuff
Three Slices of Frozen Banana - digestive add, potassium (adds thickness)
Two Small Cuts of Frozen Watermelon - adds in vascularity, blood flow, high in water (makes your veins pop out during workout)
Three/Four Blue Berry - helps with taste, best anti oxi there is, digestive add, helps with constipation

*mix in blender
*drink 30 minutes/hour before workout
*or drink 30 minutes post workout, eat next meal about hour after
*great during flares, when on liquid diet, etc

*looks like it, but will not give you a full feeling, unless you eat a bunch of crap before taking or chug it down, I have had a resection and currently have a stricture and has caused me no problems, only improvements in digestion

Cost: You get what you pay for.
Isopure Mass $40 - I only use Isopure products, Whey Isolates
Ensure 1 case $22
Fighter's Diet Greens $49
Greek Yogurt: best Chobani 1.50, next Okios 1.25, cheap Yoplait $1.00 - price is consistent with amount of protein
Watermelon: 5$ - buy one cut it up put in freezer
Frozen Fruit: 5$ - $10

Alternate Versions: I can deal with coffee/some milk

Preworkout: add some coffee and little milk (stimulant)

Taste: Like a smoothie