• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mouth ulcers

I have mouth ulcers and my whole mouth is raw, and peels. I believe thus is what is happening to the lining of the intestine wall. At least I have read that. I haven't been able to find a med to coat it that last more than a few min. Makes everything taste bad right?

I started getting sores on the sides of my tongue about a year ago......along with a dry mouth when I sleep and dry eyes. The only thing that has helped so far is humira injections. I just wish the humira would help with my crohns!

SarahBear

It can be related to Crohn's, yes. However, mouth ulcers also occur on their own. Is it a constant cycle of healing and reforming ulcers, or are they non-healing? Do you notice a connection between the severity of the ulcers and your IBD symptoms? If it's a cycle, I wouldn't automatically pin it on Crohn's (although it is still possible, of course), but if they don't heal that would be my guess. Have you brought it up with your GI or dentist?

so called my gi today and they gave me some amazing stuff called magic mouthwash which consists of maloxx Benadryl Carafate and lidocane its amazing and works so well

Yes we mix that up at my pharmacy. I'll have to ask my dr about next week . I'm not sure if it helps with whole mouth swelling, my entire mouth is inflamed. Thanks for the suggestion I actually forgot about this mixture.

It can definitely be part of the disease. I remember I would get awful mouth ulcers when eating something I shouldn't have. I would eat gluten free but if it was still unhealthy food that upset my stomach I would get mouth ulcers.

You might want to take a step back and assess what you are eating and how it makes you feel. Definitely have experienced other symptoms that have correlated with my stomach feeling bad.

The sores I got on my tongue were little white spots that hurt so bad....I would get one and it would take about 4-5 days to get better and then another one would pop up. It was a vicious cycle. Since being on the humira since May (this time around) they seem to stay away. I'm afraid to go off of the humira because I am afraid they will come back. The humira also seems to keep my skin problem away...........dry, burning, red spots on my fingers. Hey Hannah.....so happy to hear you are going to be med free. Awesome. I tried staying med free for years but now am on Pentasa and Humira. I hate taking the drugs but it is what I have to do right now.

The sores I got on my tongue were little white spots that hurt so bad....I would get one and it would take about 4-5 days to get better and then another one would pop up. It was a vicious cycle. Since being on the humira since May (this time around) they seem to stay away. I'm afraid to go off of the humira because I am afraid they will come back. The humira also seems to keep my skin problem away...........dry, burning, red spots on my fingers. Hey Hannah.....so happy to hear you are going to be med free. Awesome. I tried staying med free for years but now am on Pentasa and Humira. I hate taking the drugs but it is what I have to do right now.
Im so sorry you had to go through that but i'm glad Humira is getting rid of those symptoms for you. I know how you feel going off of medication that helps us so much is really scary. Is there a reason you are going off of it since you seem to be doing well with it? And thank you very much!