• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Importance of eating before infusion

nogutsnoglory

One nurse made me eat before an infusion and said she finds that patients are less likely to have a negative reaction if they have food before their system. I never heard another nurse tell me this but I always eat and drink before my infusion.

Wondering if anyone else has been told about this. I dont really get why it would make a difference.

They also tell you to eat before getting a tattoo :p It's possible that it's simply to prevent people from passing out when they're getting poked with needles.

But I get blood tests and nobody ever tells me to eat. I'm not losing anymore blood during an infusion.
Blood tests usually require you to fast so the results aren't messed up. I've been offered juice after several blood tests, so it's "eat after" for those :ycool:

nogutsnoglory

I have only had to fast for blood test that checks cholesterol. Maybe what they check for isn't altered by what I eat.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've never had anything said to me about eating - although my infusion is usually scheduled for lunch time (to accomodate my work schedule) and I tend to bring food with me anyway.

theOcean

When I got infusions they always had water, juice, and cookies and things to snack on, but never specifically told me to eat. I know I went there on an empty stomach plenty of times.

Then again I also immediately developed antibodies and had to switch to Humira, so who knows. :p

nogutsnoglory

I thought my place was super nice with all the snacks but I guess it's not uncommon. I have seen places without goodies and it really helps time to pass.

I was given paperwork stating that I should eat beforehand or bring food with me to eat during the infusion and to make sure I was very hydrated by drinking a lot of water the day before and the day of. At my infusion center they always offer graham crackers, gingerale, apple juice and water.

I was told to come in hydrated, so it would be easier for them to get the iv in. They only offer coffee or tea.

My infusion clinic basically tries to make me fat while I'm there lol they have never told me to eat before but while I'm there they are always feeding me sandwiches, soup, chips, cookies, ect. I will never turn down food :p